150 bhp tdi A2

Darren C

Admin Team
I was just browsing the web on my newly purchased ipod touch and came across this on Youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3BvGxlRIU

Looks like a lot of time and money has been invested by our German friends to create a 150 bhp TDI A2. My translation skills are non-existant, but it appears to be a 1.9 lump with a six speed box conversion?

Not so sure on the refurbed wheels, but nice to see that FSD's and Weitecs are the chosen suspension modifications. 0-60...

Darren

Hey Darren they have done some mad conversions over in Germany like a 1.8T that is now on the road, a A2 Caddy and another 1.9 TDI looks a lot more aggressive than that one, it looks like Carls on steriods lol

Cheers Phil

Hey Darren they have done some mad conversions over in Germany like a 1.8T that is now on the road, a A2 Caddy and another 1.9 TDI looks a lot more aggressive than that one, it looks like Carls on steriods lol

Cheers Phil

That certainly looks aggressive Phil and might give Carl some sleepless nights, but it surely isn't going to negotiate any speed bumps in a hurry... ;)

Nice find, but I'd expect more than 150PS from a 1.9 lump.

If Tanks heart ever goes pop, this is probably what I'll do, as those engines are very common - might even get one of the new 'e' engines by then (the new eco versions by Audi.

Cheers,

Mike

Looks like a lot of time and money has been invested by our German friends to create a 150 bhp TDI A2. My translation skills are non-existant, but it appears to be a 1.9 lump with a six speed box conversion?

Not so sure on the refurbed wheels, but nice to see that FSD's and Weitecs are the chosen suspension modifications. 0-60...

Darren

Hi,

Kane is called "Mr. 6-speed gearbox" over here in the German forum.

It is "just" a turbo upgrade (from a 1.9 TDI) plus new remap to the regular A2 90 HP 1.4 TDI engine.

He also fitted big front brakes like Skipton did lately.

The Weitec/Koni FSD suspension upgrade works perfectly - even at autobahn speeds up to true 235 kph.

Hi,

Kane is called "Mr. 6-speed gearbox" over here in the German forum.

It is "just" a turbo upgrade (from a 1.9 TDI) plus new remap to the regular A2 90 HP 1.4 TDI engine.

He also fitted big front brakes like Skipton did lately.

The Weitec/Koni FSD suspension upgrade works perfectly - even at autobahn speeds up to true 235 kph.

Thanks for the clarification Schnelletrecker - looks like plenty of TLC, heart and soul went into the upgrade.

Darren

I was just browsing the web on my newly purchased ipod touch and came across this on Youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3BvGxlRIU

Darren
You'r late. This is the A2 from KANE326 (German Forum) and teh video is already in the britisch Forum. Just use search function (I did replyed there;) )
Did'nt found teh link to youtube but here ist the car:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5865&highlight=150hp+kane
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9510&highlight=german

Last edited:
150hp from the regular 1.4TDI???:confused:
That's kind of extreme for a remap, even with different turbo. A 66% increase in bhp output means you probably won't have many miles under the bonnet with that setup, but hey, if it makes the owner happy...:D

150hp from the 90hp TDI. (not 75)
With different Turbo and then chipped.

It is easy. the 1,9 TDI can be chipped up to 190hp or so. And it has 4 cylinders. The 1.4 in the A2 ist just the same but with 3 cyl.

I wouldn't say it was easy and I certainly wouldn't go to this sort of figure with Tank, as I would really fear for the bottom end, shell bearings and conrods, not to mention the clutch (although this can be changed for a stronger one).

Although Kanes car is supposed to just have a different turbo mod, I think it's probably more than this, as he has obviously changed hos clocks, which wouldn't be needed for just a turbo swap.

Cheers,

Mike

150hp from the regular 1.4TDI???:confused:
That's kind of extreme for a remap, even with different turbo. A 66% increase in bhp output means you probably won't have many miles under the bonnet with that setup, but hey, if it makes the owner happy...:D

This is Kane's Turbo conversion thread:

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=31555

Since all 1.4 TDI 3-pot engines share many parts with the 1.9 TDi engine (cylinder geometry, porting, connecting rod, valves, piston/sleeve, bore/stroke, etc) the engine tuners can predict quite well the tolerances and power limits of the 1.4 engine block.

The bone-stock conrods for instance hold up well up to about 225 HP in turbo upgraded 1.9 TDI engines. :) The "regular" 1.9 TDI engine power limit is at about 260 HP. But already above 225 HP reinforced conrods, lower compression (different cylinder head), bigger injection nozzles, etc are highly recommended.

Kane's ATL engine turbo upgrade can be ordered here officially:

http://shop.dieselschrauber.de/prod...d/304?osCsid=8f9963a1061cc3286cc320a7cb63f38a

A2_150.jpg

More info:

However, Kane's 6-speed gearbox is mandatory when talking permanent loads exceeding 300 Nm and peak loads of ca 340 Nm of torque.
His 6-speed box does cope with a permanent load of 350 Nm versus the 280 to 300 Nm load limit of the regular A2 5-speed gearbox.

P.S. Kane had switched to a "racing edition" single-mass flywheel, but the vibrations below 2000 rpm were too high. So it was soon replaced by the standard dual-mass flywheel

P.P.S That 150 HP setup of Kane requires a set of quality tyres ("V" speed index) with loads of grip, preferably 205 of width minimum to transfer the torque best possible onto the tarmac.

Last edited:
slightly off topic, but while the clutch was mentioned, my standard 1.4 petrol's clutch isn't very strong for a lot of stop start city driving, is it possible to straight swap the slightly larger clutch used in the FSI?

Anyone know which 6 Speed gerbox he used?
I found out! You can read this in this forum here (search function). It is the one, produced only for 6 months.
Maybe it is in the engine transplant thread but I am not sure.

Edti: Or Skipton found out: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=45853&postcount=23

I wrote in the German forum:
Du hast also das Getriebe vom 1,9TDI Polo aus Nov/Dec 2003 eingebaut (Kennung: FSM)
So it is the FSM from Nov/dez 2003

Last edited:
I've had a quote from VW of £1389 incl VAT.
The garage said they wouldn't do the work in case there were problems doing it!

Is this a straight swap or are modifications involved?

It's not a straight swap - there are size differences in the clutch housings and various other parts.

You really need someone like Stealth who are used to doing transplants and conversions to take this job on, but budget for about the same in labour!

Cheers,

Mike

I've had a quote from VW of £1389 incl VAT.
The garage said they wouldn't do the work in case there were problems doing it!

Is this a straight swap or are modifications involved?

Some modifications involved with the FSM 6-speed gearbox conversion:
  • different axle drive shafts (left: # 6Q0 407 271 DD , right: # 6X0 407 272 E )
  • different shift cables
  • different gearbox mounts (custom made adapter)

Back