A2 1.6 FSI Sport - Engine Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nmcphee

Any FSI owners out there? We have received ours and have had nothing but problems with it!

Biggest concern is a knocking noise from the engine which vibrates up through the pedals, particularly when going slow or sitting idle. Seems to be when the fan kicks in.

Anyone noticed this? Our dealer has discovered that all three FSI's that they have have this same fault!!!

Meeting with Audi UK to discuss perhaps rejecting the vehicle next week.

Interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this flaw in the FSI?

Kind Regards
Nicola

Nicola,

This is the first time that such a major complaint has been directed towards the FSI model, however I must say that with your dealer experiencing 3 cars with the same problem it certainly spells out bad news.

To protect your own interests I do hope you have written to the dealer confirming that the fault/situation is unacceptable. Indeed if your dealer is conveying the impression that they are lost for an answer then I would respond that you will give them 10 days to rectify the matter, or alternatively to provide you with a new fault free car – or of course your money back.

We all love A2’s on this forum, but few of us are wealthy enough to be walked over by an Audi dealer/Audi UK. This is why you must politely fight for your corner.

Do let us know of any further developments.

Regards
John Disdale

Thanks John .... will let you know how we get on with the guy from Audi UK on Wednesday. I gave the garage a documented account of all the issues we had since placing our order and told them that we will reject the car if it is confirmed that the engine is fundamentally flawed. Good advice though, thanks.

Nicola

1.6 FSI Sport, 17" Alloys, full leather spec., open sky, CD, etc. etc. etc.

I had noticed some vibration when lightly resting my foot on the clutch pedal whilst the engine is ticking over. But I was not overly concerned - it takes a while to get used to the foibles of a new car. The engine is noisy when under load - but with a diesel type common rail type injection system I might expect some differences.
It may be that the idle speed needs re-adjusting at tickover.

Thanks John .... will let you know how we get on with the guy from Audi UK on Wednesday. I gave the garage a documented account of all the issues we had since placing our order and told them that we will reject the car if it is confirmed that the engine is fundamentally flawed. Good advice though, thanks.

Nicola

quote:Originally posted by mw

I had noticed some vibration when lightly resting my foot on the clutch pedal whilst the engine is ticking over. But I was not overly concerned - it takes a while to get used to the foibles of a new car. The engine is noisy when under load - but with a diesel type common rail type injection system I might expect some differences.
It may be that the idle speed needs re-adjusting at tickover.

Yip .. that sounds like the same problem. It is like a tap, tap, tap on the sole of your shoe when you are resting on the pedals. Not acceptable to us as a foible though. Not for the money that we have spent on the car. Traded our TT roadster for this and didn't expect it to be of the same caliber but did expect a certain level of Audi quality of build. Audi UK must be somewhat concerned when they are going to the bother of sending one of their top men to investigate ... watch this space!

Be interested to hear what Audi say. If its not a safety issue I don't suppose there'll be a recall. I'll give the dealer a ring and perhaps raise it as an observation.
Still running the car in so I haven't yet given it a full assessment.

Nicola

Good luck to you. When we were having problems with our 1.4petrol the dealer told us it was not Audi UK's policy to accept rejections!. Pompous gits!. And of course totally against consumer law.

It was our dealer who replaced our A2 without the knowledge of Audi UK. Very strange set up if you ask me. It means that Audi UK sit there thinking how good the A2 is with the dealers soaking up all the moans and groans from us poor customers.

Anyway, keep us informed!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

I had a 1.6 FSI courtesy car with 2500 miles on the clock and I noticed the same effect at idle. It was far noisier than the 1.4, so much so that I thought the dashboard trim was loose. Most of the magazine road test reports point out the clicking (injector?) noise at idle, but I wouldn't expect that vibration to be fed through the cabin.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

If I think back through the past, then I’ve certainly had a few experiences of cars ticking over so poorly that they are almost un-drivable, however never have I known any weirdo throb or tap be transmitted back through the pedals.

In noting that Nicola has high hopes that a senior Audi UK official is about to intervene, I do sincerely hope that she does not follow my foolish mistake in NOT acknowledging that such a person only ever wanted to meet me in order to try and put a knife in my back – with a smile of course.

Regards
John Disdale

I'd be interested in knowing how many miles this problem car has? As a 1.6fsi driver I haven't had any problems 3,000k.

As to the other comment about the clutch, ye I've noticed as well, btu if you put light pressure on you will get some vibration, but when you don't push down it doesn't vibrate, honest, it's like the fridge light thing you have to play around a bit to dismiss the mith!

A2 1.6fsi sport climate cd amulet red

Pretty much the same as Potato, feel the tapping when the clutch is slightly pressed.

I have noticed though when pulling away if the revs are less than 1000 it's quite bad, but as soon as the revs build up it goes.

1.6 fsi - 1,700k

Mine has only done 500 miles so it is a bit early to draw conclusions.
I did notice when looking under the bonnet what I took to be the clutch cable with a largish counterbalance weight on the end of the lever arm. My guess is that this is part of the vibration damping mechanism. I must have a closer look when I get home.

Big thing with counterbalance is the gear linkage.
Clutch is hydraulic

icon_smile_cool.gif

S'cuse my ignorance - but this has to apply to all 1.6 FSI engines - not just the sport. How many of those with problems have the 1.6 SE rather than the sport??

Now getting really paranoid!

Take Care

Kit

Soon to be the owner of a Dolphin Grey 1.6 FSI SE with Red Leather, ECC, DIS & Symphony 6 CD

I've done about 1,000 miles in my 1.6 FSI SE and have also noticed a slight knocking sensation through the clutch pedal if I rest my foot on it when out of gear in traffic. Don't think it's anything to be concerned about - I put it down to the common rail technology which has major mpg and performance benefits imho.

JR

A2 1.6 FSI, Cobalt blue, OpenSky, etc.

JR - Can I ask what MPG you are getting with your FSI? I seem to be lucky if I get 37 MPG.

Nicola,

I cannot address your question, but as has been illustrated by other topics on the forum big differences in MPG can be made subject to the driving conditions. That said I suppose the closest denominator that we can all equate to is cruising down a motorway at 70mph for 30 miles. Under these conditions are you only achieving a max of 37mpg ?

Regards
John Disdale

I've also noticed a slight vibration in the clutch when depressed but really didnt regard it as anything to worry about (and trust me I'm really really fussy !!!!). I've also noticed that if you turn the stereo up load on a song with lots of bass you can feel that through the pedals so are you really going to worry about the engine having the same effect. The penalty with FSI engines is always going to be the refinement compared to the petrol equivalent - but I dont know of any other 1.6 litre car that will do 0-10 in sub-ten seconds and return up to 48 mpg.

With regards fuel economy we get about 40mpg at the mo, but (a) I dont use super unleaded and (b) I drive in a manner that is not wholly conducive to good fuel economy :D

- Alex

A2 1.6 FSE SE

quote:Originally posted by rspecial

... but I dont know of any other 1.6 litre car that will do 0-10 in sub-ten seconds...

<pedant> [:0] Even my Lupo can manage that... ;) </pedant>

m.

Going to buy an A2 on Saturday... will improve forum manners thereafter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back