Chat Air conditioning condensation pipe issue

Silverpig

Hi,

I’ve got water dripping down into the passenger side footwell through the pollen filter. By the lack of rain we’ve had recently I can confidently guess that it’s not coming in from the outside, which leaves the common problem of the air con condensation pipe.

I’ve looked at the following but it is of limited help;

I’ve whipped the glovebox out and peered into the engine bay the other side but can’t for the life of me see anything which looks like that pipe.

Has anyone got any suggestions/photos please?

Thanks for that, gives me something to start with, I need to locate the bit it refers to and I can’t seem to open the other linked pages to put it into context.

Hi,

I’ve got water dripping down into the passenger side footwell through the pollen filter. By the lack of rain we’ve had recently I can confidently guess that it’s not coming in from the outside, which leaves the common problem of the air con condensation pipe.
No rain last night in Hampshire? Surely not! Cloudburst in Sussex, well almost.

RAB

East Sussex always seems to have more dramatic weather than Hampshire, it's just drizzle here!

Ok, I think I've got the gist of what needs to be done, can anyone help me locate the A/C condensation drain pipes please? Are they underneath the car, or behind a firewall somewhere?

Thanks!

This picture shows the position of the drain in relation to the water (lower) and AC (upper) connections as they pass through the bulkhead. I suspect the engine end of the pipe is hidden behind the bulkhead soundproofing material...

climate unit and drain.jpg

Someone else's photograph, sorry forgot who the owner is.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere, thank you. So that photo is effectively looking from under the middle of the centre console looking out into the cabin of the car. So I'm assuming the hose goes out through the firewall somewhere, can you access the drain valve from underneath the car and inside the engine compartment?

Yes, the metal pipe ends (damaged) poke through from the cabin into the engine compartment and the upper two have the AC lines bolted on. As for the actual location of the drain, I suggest raising the front of the car on ramps or stands and removing the undertray. The drain should be to the lower right of the pipework, but I suspect it may be obscured by the insulation on the bulkhead. The inside part should be behind the glovebox and may be the easier option. As you can see the rubber part is clamped onto the plastic housing of the heater box. Place a container to catch any spills and pull it into the cabin from the top to "unlock it" and rotate downwards to release the lower tongue. Once you can see the end you can check the little valve works and there is no internal obstruction. Once clean I would spray into this pipe towards the heater box with a good quality anti-bac spray. Even better if you have one of the new type WD40 cans with the rotating nozzle and straw. Fit this cap onto the aerosol anti-bac to really get it up into the heater box. This could be done with the pipe in situ if you gain access to it under the car, if not do it from the passenger footwell. Rebuild the pipe into the bulkhead making sure it is located correctly and not trapping anything and refit glovebox if removed.

Have searched to find a picture of the location of the drain inside the engine bay but not found any. So over to you to take a couple of nice pictures of the drain when you do locate it.

Dettol spray All In One would be my "solution".

Right, I’ve managed to locate, remove, clean and refit the pipe. Hurrah! Not a particularly difficult job once I’ve worked out where it was, which was behind the centre console on the passenger side.

I’ll post photos for reference but it is a case of removing the side panel on the centre console and removing the carpet, then gently prising one end of the hose from the firewall and the other from the back of the climate unit. Oh, and others have said, be ready with a tub to catch the water.

Give it a blast through with a tap (it fitted on quite nicely to a hozelock connector on the outside tap) and then refit with a new cable tie.

Attachments

• 95BA0421-D61D-4315-BF42-66E153EDACF7.jpeg
    95BA0421-D61D-4315-BF42-66E153EDACF7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
  • 0BAB72BB-A25A-48F9-ADC9-71B42F1BB1E4.jpeg
    0BAB72BB-A25A-48F9-ADC9-71B42F1BB1E4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 248
  • 36FB5DBB-7FE3-43DE-911C-B024DDB2D85F.jpeg
    36FB5DBB-7FE3-43DE-911C-B024DDB2D85F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 223
  • BF0FBF02-91D6-4B23-97CA-82BA5FF1DF2A.jpeg
    BF0FBF02-91D6-4B23-97CA-82BA5FF1DF2A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 207
  • 45CC11E4-92A2-4527-83A8-8118D9DC92A1.jpeg
    45CC11E4-92A2-4527-83A8-8118D9DC92A1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 212
Great news. Though the inside car route would be easier once you could see the components. The tip about spraying the anti-bac is that is a lovely area for bacteria and odours to grow. Nice pictures.?

Back