all 4 Cly stoped working

A2 1.4 p 2004, 4 Cylinder stoped # RAC re-set ok for 3 weeks then today!!!!!! yep car stoped did not call out RAC just turn the key and car seem's ok but enggine light still on ????????? could some one let me know what they think thx joh

Last edited:
A2 1.4 p 2004, 4 cly stoped # RAC re-set ok for 3 weeks then today!!!!!! yep car stoped did not call out RAC just turn the key and car seem's ok but eng light still on ????????? could some one let me know what they think thx joh

Is that a compressed posting? :confused:

Anyway best to get the car scanned to see what fault codes are stored. :)

Cheers

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you couldn't get it either Sarge;) Gobledegook springs to mind - no offence to our new member, although be aware that text speak on the forum is an irritant to some of our fold. A naughties phenomenon.

I am no DIY mechanic as everyone knows - but what on earth is a CLY :confused:

I'm glad you couldn't get it either Sarge;) Gobledegook springs to mind - no offence to our new member, although be aware that text speak on the forum is an irritant to some of our fold. A naughties phenomenon.

I am no DIY mechanic as everyone knows - but what on earth is a CLY :confused:

A2 1.4 p 2004, 4 cly stoped # RAC re-set ok for 3 weeks then today!!!!!! yep car stoped did not call out RAC just turn the key and car seem's ok but eng light still on ????????? could some one let me know what they think thx joh

Translates to:
A2 1.4 Petrol 2004, 4 Cylinder stopped, #(#=called) RAC reset it and it ran ok for 3 weeks, yes stopped again......engine light still on ...

:)

thx (thanks) 4 (for) Nothing just wanted some advise not to be slaged off.
and cyl (Cylinders.) don't think i use this site again. cya (GOOD BYE)

Don't take it personally mate, I did tell you to get it scanned for fault codes, you give us little info and then put it into a format which WE have to work out what your asking/saying?! to help YOU.

If you went to a mechanic and said '4 cylinders stopped working' on your car, what would he deduce from that? yet he would have the benefit of having the car sat infront of him as opposed to us, see what I mean?

Sorry if I offended you, but that wasn't the intention, and I'm sure you won't find advice as good from elsewhere, so for your own outlook don't be hastey with your departing decision. ;)

And just a note whilst I strive to read/write good English, English is my second language, (which'll proberbly come as a suprise to some of our members) but I do try to make the effort & reduce mistakes. ;)

Cheers

SARGE

thx (thanks) 4 (for) Nothing just wanted some advise not to be slaged off.
and cyl (Cylinders.) don't think i use this site again. cya (GOOD BYE)

Very sensitive! Can I point out that you didnt abbreviate cylinder to cyl, your thread said 'cly'
As Sarge stated, there is no offence intended here. Whilst off to a shaky start - you are very welcome to this cracking wee community where you will be able to source valuable assistance and experience from fellow owners!

Sarge is one of our friendliest and well known members - I dont think he has an offensive bone in his bod, and I was simply suggesting that you are a little less frugal with your typing so we can understand your problem. But if you take the petted lip - its most definitely your loss.

Cheers, Murdi :D

He's sent nothing to me and I was on the point of giving him an infraction.

What does the PM say John?

Seems very strange that a lurker since August last year posts a text message and then takes umbrage when no one can help immediately with pretty much no information!

Plonker!

Cheers,

Mike

Now I'm really confused :confused: :eek:

The chap sent the same post to me as a PM. I'm presuming he sent it to everyone.

It read ...

Mr

RAC said 4 cyl stop working re set the car ok now untill today!! stoped again but light is still up but car going well again, so what going on with my cly ?? thx john

Last edited:
At 38, I too feel I'm included in that statement, so you're not alone Bretti!!

John, no message to me (makes a change!), if he wants help, then he'll get it, but a little more info is needed, especially as to what the RAC chap reset.

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry to say I thought it was rather shabby treatment for a first time poster on our forum. Even for an old codger like me who can't text, his mail was understandable. Sure there was insufficient detail to allow a meaningful response but a polite request for more info would have been more appropiate rather than the mickey taking reply he received.
I visit many forums which have become 'clicky' where new members appear apprehensive about asking questions. Certainly any prospective A2oc member reading this thread could be put off writing in for fear of being ridiculed.

I'm sure the intention of our members is not to sit in judgement of those who have difficulty with the written word or composing technical queries but thats how it came across.

Cheers Spike

Thanks to spike your a good bloke, cant say much for the some of them as they call me name on here now, cant and will not be drawn in to that, seem a lot of cyber bullying which is not good for the site.

loss of power Cylinder problems just thought some one would have the same problem with
A2 and could put the finger on it (cylinder problems on all 4 stoped) RAC chap clear the code so i dont have it but car went ok for 3 weeks. This Sat' the same thing happend but i just restarted the car but light Engine Management still up.(car seems ok for now) thanks again Spike. john

there have been issues with all four cylinders losing compression over on the German forums - but the result of that was a new short motor being fitted.

If it's 'only' cutting out, check if the fuel pump is still running and definitely check the earthing points in both footwells. What do the error messages say?

Bret

there's a bunch of posts elsewhere dealing with the exact locations; They are in the footwells at the front, at the base of the a-pillar.

To get to them, you'll need to take the plastic trim off that's in the doorway.

It's only clipped in place three times and has a key at the rear end, so ease it up, disengage / remove the rear and then pull up from the rear of the peice, then upwards towards you. It's a lot more obvious when you see it - the trim is large enough that you can't just pull it out from the side.

The earth point is the one with the big brown wires; it should be a 10mm or so nut.

Make sure the nut is tight: the passenger side one will deal with the fuel relay and the comfort system (including your immobiliser).

Make sense?

Bret

Earth points

Earth Points, number 8 and number 12 in drivers and passengers 'A' posts

I have uploaded an actual picture I took from my own car, and will try to find it and post it here for you!.

Cheers

SARGE

Back