Another A2 on the road to recovery….yes, another one!

datsundrew

A2OC Donor
So…I’ve been looking for a tdi for a good friend for months now, and not had much luck. It needs to be cheap and not a complete heap. I have been strung along by sellers not getting back to me, some going completely quiet on the way, and one where a viewing was arranged on his terms, I messaged the evening before, got the thumbs up, and in the morning the same, and text me as I was close to say it’d sold!!😡😡
What is wrong with people??
Following a marketplace ad on Friday evening, I arranged to go to Witney to view this..

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
The young lad selling it was very honest about it, it’s been his first car for a few years, and he’s moving up.
A trainee mechanic and doing building in his spare time this car is absolutely filthy,
A good look around and it turns out it’s very straight, no dents, dull paint, dull lights etc
It does have some issues, the front left inner arch is missing, the ashtray doesn’t close, needs a door strap, and there’s a lot of play in the drivers bottom hinge area causing the door to drop?? There’s also sometimes a clutch release bearing squeal
On the positives it has air con, false floor, parcel blind and all the switches and buttons are in good condition, and the head lining is good.

This morning I got up early and set about giving it a big clean…..engine, underneath, on top, cutting compound and polish and it’s transformed it. I’m really not keen on black but it’s not for me is it?

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5425.jpeg
    IMG_5425.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5439.jpeg
    IMG_5439.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5438.jpeg
    IMG_5438.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5436.jpeg
    IMG_5436.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 91
Once I’d finished that, I moved the car back on to the garden and set about that disgusting interior.
Out with the wet vac, and a massive amount of scrubbing, and after 3 hours i got the rear seats, carpet and blood area looking clean, I filled and emptied the wet vac 4 times!! After that it was getting dark, so finished for the day..

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpeg
    IMG_5431.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5432.jpeg
    IMG_5432.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5429.jpeg
    IMG_5429.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5437.jpeg
    IMG_5437.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
The drive back home yesterday was very good, and it is very smooth. The tracking is out as it’s recently had a new lower arm, but when on rough roads it sounds terrible!!
As this is for a friend who lives 100 miles away, I want this to be cheap and long lasting for her without bills and issues, so I have ordered new suspension….struts, tops, bolts, a pair of cast lower arms to replace the pressed ones, bump stops, bellows etc, and also rear shocks.
All 4 springs look fairly new, so they can be kept. I will pencil in a clutch and timing belt later in the year.
I have done similar on ORC and Chad our A2’s, as it’s so much easier just to strip things once and replace them rather than odd bits and hoping the next mot will be ok.

The young lad selling it was very honest about it, it’s been his first car for a few years, and he’s moving up.
A trainee mechanic and doing building in his spare time this car is absolutely filthy,
A good look around and it turns out it’s very straight, no dents, dull paint, dull lights etc
It does have some issues, the front left inner arch is missing, the ashtray doesn’t close, needs a door strap, and there’s a lot of play in the drivers bottom hinge area causing the door to drop?? There’s also sometimes a clutch release bearing squeal
On the positives it has air con, false floor, parcel blind and all the switches and buttons are in good condition, and the head lining is good.
Check the hinge bolts that attach to the door haven't come loose, I've had one before and the door practically dropped off...quick tighten and the door was perfect again...simple free fix that made a massive difference.
Check strap is just as easy, I will be making a batch of those over the next couple of weeks if you require one.

This morning I got up early and set about giving it a big clean…..engine, underneath, on top, cutting compound and polish and it’s transformed it. I’m really not keen on black but it’s not for me is it?
That's looking really smart, although it is a bit junior mafia staff car 🤣

Check the hinge bolts that attach to the door haven't come loose, I've had one before and the door practically dropped off...quick tighten and the door was perfect again...simple free fix that made a massive difference.
Check strap is just as easy, I will be making a batch of those over the next couple of weeks if you require one.
I will do. It’s really bad whatever it is, lots of play and the whole door has dropped about 4mm.
I have made enquiries on another door in Bedford if I’m stuck.😱

More cleening done this afternoon, I got the front seats and carpet out, it was absolutely minging!! So much stickyness beside those seats, and the driver seat was so bad it was shiny🤮
It took several hours but it’s come up like new, so I’m very happy. The switches, buttons and plastics are in great condition, and better that our other cars!
Forgot to mention that it came with a fill set of genuine Audi rubber mats that cleaned up well too

Passenger side…..

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5447.jpeg
    IMG_5447.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5456.jpeg
    IMG_5456.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 53
Drivers side….

Attachments

• IMG_5458.jpeg
    IMG_5458.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5461.jpeg
    IMG_5461.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5459.jpeg
    IMG_5459.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5465.jpeg
    IMG_5465.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 37
If the door has dropped can only really be either worn hinges, loose bolt in the middle of the hinge(s) - most likely or the frame the hinge is fitted to has cracked around the hinge.

BTW as the seats were so dirty I strongly suggest you remove and wash and dry the seat belts...

If the door has dropped can only really be either worn hinges, loose bolt in the middle of the hinge(s) - most likely or the frame the hinge is fitted to has cracked around the hinge.

BTW as the seats were so dirty I strongly suggest you remove and wash and dry the seat belts...
Hinges definitely aren’t worn, it seems there’s movement between the hinge and door. If it is cracked is there a fix, or is it new door time?

Back