ATL engine glow plug connector assembly

BiggDogg

A2OC Donor
Yesterday I noticed I had a fault code for cylinder 3 glow plug, though starting had been unaffected. Pulling the all-in-1 rubber connector assembly away from all 3 glow plugs at the same time, the rubber was all cracked and virtually disintegrated as I took it off, the black plastic internal parts stayed behind on the glow plugs! After confirming that cylinder 3 glow plug was reading a high 5.7 Ohms rather than under 1 Ohm (as with 1&2) I got a new glow plug from Euro Car Parts and went to fit it. Fitting the replacement glow plug went smoothly (long slim 10mm socket needed) but I puzzled what to do to about the connector assembly. I would have used heatshrink but the biggest size I had was just too small. I opted for a temporary measure of fitting all the bits back together as best I could and binding with insulating tape. Really I should look to get a complete repair assembly. It is functional, the connectors do click into place on the glow plugs but I am not too happy about it. Upon clearing the fault code it has stayed clear after several starts. Photos below.
  • Has anyone else had this problem?.
  • Do all the diesel engines use the same part or is this one peculiar to the ATL (90bhp) - I know the glowplugs are low voltage, high current and controlled differently to the AMF at least.
  • Is there a repair part available from Audi?

All the best,
Matt

PS: (Yes I know there is a nasty cable tie holding the intercooler pipe - it is also on the list of things to do).

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 203
Yes, I suffered this when I replaced all 3 glow plugs on my 2005 ATL. I used epoxy resin on mine as a ring of plastic broke off rather than a crack like yours. I will replace the whole glow plug rail bridge wiring harness in the near future as I believe this is causing vibration at idle similar to what @Un4tural posted recently in diagnostics.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks @fhl. I went and looked for a part number for the rail here:
It looks like it isn't peculiar to the ATL, which is good.
I think it is no.20, p/n 045971782A, the price is £50 for Audi original part on eBay.

Matt

Reactions: fhl
Back