Audi a2 RNS-E MK1

Hello all.
I finally managed to get RNS-E 1 gen or my a2. Now i have some headache for connecting it to the car.
My a2 really early 2002 model have an aftermarket Sony radio single din. The car have only 2 plugs on the back off the radio.
The problem for me is that my new RNS-E comes from A3 and the A3 uses CAN BUS. So the question now is how to connect the rns-e can bus singal to my car?

i have the early 2002 model aswell with canbus is there not a red plug with one wire floating about somewhere behind stereo, i can check colour of wire it should be tomorrow for you incase the plug has been chopped

Hi Dimitar,

I think the best way to advise with your RNSE fitment is for you to post a photograph of all of the wiring at the back of your current stereo. As the RNSE is from an A3, it's coding must be changed such that the unit could work with an A6 (4B), which has a similar bus setup to the A2's. As a 2002 model A2, your car should have the required CAN-BUS wiring installed from the factory, though hopefully we can confirm this with a photograph. :)

Regards,

Matt.

6121508345d398681e9f86a303a8f58d9c6c263bf00d509ced829e80d2b45ed7732e4bd6.jpg

The left one is for power. The right one is for front speakers. That's my wiring behind the stereo.

So i need to make a custom wiring form the instrument cluster for the can bus ? Or find some ho can code the rns e to activate the k-line ?

Mine's the same i also have the red plug with one wire what is the red plugs purpose and what does the one wire do

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

not 100 % as not a vw audi tech but as far as I'm aware this is the canbus link to stereo ,note stereo does not have a ignition feed ,the canbus tells the stereo to switch on/off and could have other functions

if any one could update further it would be apreciated

My friend tell me i can pull 2 wires from instrument cluster to the rns-e for the can bus. From the green instrument cluster (32-pin green connector) i need to use 22 - CAN low speed (convenience “+”)
23 - CAN low speed (convenience “-”).
Is that information true?

View attachment 27157

The left one is for power. The right one is for front speakers. That's my wiring behind the stereo.

Unfortunately, this picture doesn't tell the whole story. There should be a black 20-pin miniISO connector, irrespective of the car's age. It is this 20-pin connector that will really help us to establish the generation of wiring in your A2.

So i need to make a custom wiring form the instrument cluster for the can bus ? Or find some ho can code the rns e to activate the k-line ?

K-line is a diagnostic interface, for coding modules and reading errors, etc. All A2s have a K-line connection to the stereo, but it cannot be used as a substitute for CAN. RNS-E cannot communicate with other electronics within the car over K-line. CAN is essential.

Mine's the same i also have the red plug with one wire what is the red plugs purpose and what does the one wire do

The red connector is all to do with telephone integration. The one wire that you mention is a mute wire; it causes the stereo to be silenced when a call is in progress. For a vast majority of A2s, it serves no purpose. It is also of no importance with regards to retrofitting RNS-E.

not 100 % as not a vw audi tech but as far as I'm aware this is the canbus link to stereo ,note stereo does not have a ignition feed ,the canbus tells the stereo to switch on/off and could have other functions

if any one could update further it would be apreciated

It does indeed have other functions, but the two basic ones are on/off with the ignition and illumination on/off with the sidelight switch.

My friend tell me i can pull 2 wires from instrument cluster to the rns-e for the can bus. From the green instrument cluster (32-pin green connector) i need to use 22 - CAN low speed (convenience “+”)

Hi Dimitar,

To be of any real help to you, I need to know the generation of instrument cluster in your car. Do the instrument cluster 'needles' (that point to speed, rpm, temperature and fuel) illuminate when you turn the key in the ignition, or do the needles only illuminate when you turn on the car's lights?

Audi changed the instrument electronics in late 2001/early 2002. Early instrument clusters won't work properly with RNS-E as the cluster is unable to 'shake hands' with RNS-E and store its unlock code. If you try to retrofit RNS-E to an A2 with an early generation cluster, you'll experience various bizarre symptoms, including being asked to enter the 4-digit code every time you switch on your ignition. I can solve this problem and have done so a few times, but I need to be in the presence of the car.

If you can answer my question about the needles, I'll be able to provide more specific advice.

Cheers,

Tom

"or do the needles only illuminate when you turn on the car's lights". The answer is no they turn red wen i put on car's lights.
The instrument cluster is changed wen i bout the car. But a friend off mine clone the old cluster software and put its software into the new.
The 20-pin connector is not there!
So i have the most stupid a2 ? :D
I will really need your help online timmus becous im from Bulgaria.

Is that information correct ?

Unfortunately, this picture doesn't tell the whole story. There should be a black 20-pin miniISO connector, irrespective of the car's age. It is this 20-pin connector that will really help us to establish the generation of wiring in your A2.

The 20-pin connector is not there!
So i have the most stupid a2 ? :D
I will really need your help online timmus becous im from Bulgaria.

Having thought about this a bit more, I can imagine that some early A2s without Bose or a CD changer would have left the factory without the 20-pin connector. So, maybe your A2 isn't so stupid, Dimitar. :) However, you will definitely need this in order to retrofit RNS-E.

I've sent you a PM with a few questions.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello all.
Yesterday i go for try what will happen wen i connect the rns-e to the can bus off my car. And like timmus say the car and my rns-e don't want to pair together.
So timmus suggested me to switch my instrument cluster for newer model 8Z0 920 900 N .
But i have some questions about this ,i send timmus some off my questions but i guess he is busy for the moment and can't answer them. So i will appreciate any help.
The first and the main question is. Do i need only too code the immobilizer when i switch for new instrument cluster nothing else ?
And the second question is. How about using a rns-e can bus emulator?

My rns-e comes from audi a4 b7.

iv seen that guide but i'm still confused.
Is that information true? - On that 2 pins i connected the rns-e pin 9 and 10 from D conncetror

Last edited:
I have some questions about this ,i send timmus some off my questions but i guess he is busy for the moment and can't answer them. So i will appreciate any help.

Hi Dimitar,

I'll be back at my computer tomorrow with a proper keyboard and will reply to your PMs as my first task of the day. :)

Thanks for your patience,

Tom

Back