Audi parts availability

ajsellors

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I was at my local Audi dealer parts department this morning ordering a part for my FSI. Although he wasn't serving at the time, one of the senior parts employees recognised me and mentioned that Audi will be discontinuing A2 parts soon. He though that was going to be in September this year, although wasn't 100% sure of the date. Once discontinued, A2 parts would only be available direct from Audi Tradition and could not be ordered from a dealership.

I will try and find out more when I collect my part, I had to rush off as I was on my way to work, in particular what that means to parts that are shared with other models. It could simply mean that 8Z specific part numbered parts are no-longer available. I hope it doesn't mean that the policy is that if you have an A2 its a no go even though the part you want is actually from and shared with a Polo or Fabia for example.

Although a lot of parts are shared with other models, there are are some frequently replaced things that are model specific including service items such as the engine air filter. The FSI engine also has a number of A2 unique parts such as the combined Lambda/NOx sensor.

Late this year would make it 20 years since the model's launch, or just a coincidence.

Does anyone else have any information on what's going to be happening?

regards

Andrew

20 years is the legal requirement... so yes, it will be a2-specific parts that will get harder to find in the dealer.

- Bret

That’s worrying what are the Audi a2 tdi specifics that we are not going to get examples would be great to be able to stock up .. marvellous isn’t it you can buy anything for a 1950s ford f100 pick up I wonder if in 70 years we will have same luck with an a2 ..?

Quite a few A2 parts have been discontinued by Audi a couple of years ago but may be available to buy from Audi tradition. You can still buy rear footwell storage boxes from tradition.

I'm not particularly worried about non-wear parts, but there are some things that have to be new simply because a replacement used part by its nature would be just a worn out as the one needing to be replaced. Open Sky guide repair sets and seals for example. All Open Sky parts except the bolts and washers are unique to the A2.

Last edited:
Both Merc and BMW have extensive parts remanufactured for their older cars, Porsche have followed suit too, lately.

VW Heritage has been running a while now, Audi Tradition is too little too late but it's at least a step in the right direction, though how long any of these last with the current climate - who knows...?

I'm not particularly worried about non-wear parts, but there are some things that have to be new simply because a replacement used part by its nature would be just a worn out as the one needing to be replaced. Open Sky guide repair sets and seals for example. All Open Sky parts except the bolts and washers are unique to the A2.

Yes I agree completely. My comment was tongue in cheek. Certainly in terms of the opensky system I would be getting an A2 with brokensky booked in with @Kleynie sooner rather than later

Both Merc and BMW have extensive parts remanufactured for their older cars, Porsche have followed suit too, lately.

VW Heritage has been running a while now, Audi Tradition is too little too late but it's at least a step in the right direction, though how long any of these last with the current climate - who knows...?
First time hearing Audi tradition what is this all about ?

That’s worrying what are the Audi a2 tdi specifics that we are not going to get examples would be great to be able to stock up .. marvellous isn’t it you can buy anything for a 1950s ford f100 pick up I wonder if in 70 years we will have same luck with an a2 ..?

I've gone through this with a classic Mini, now everything is available and a Mk2 Golf, supply is good and some still drive these as daily runners. That said if I can't get bits its the old car shed for the A2.

I can get almost infinitely more (new) parts for my 1946 MG TC now than I could when I bought the car in 1971 and from multiple suppliers. Only just over 10,000 were built of which about 2/3 are reckoned to be still extant. Slightly lower tech though but if there is a demand....

RAB

MG parts are great, I think you can still get remanufactured shells.
An MG TC is quite a classic, I doff my cap to you sir! ?

Pictures of the TC in this thread: https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...kdown-cover-after-16-years.38286/#post-337609

An interesting aside is that the TC (and all T-types built between 1936 and 1955) have fully metric engines! This was due to Morris buying a UK factory from the French company Hotchkiss et Cie - no connection as far as I am aware with the Hotchkiss company of Eastbourne. Morris just carried on using the same tooling, so all the engines have French metric bolts with Whitworth heads! Some of these bolts have direct modern equivalents but some do not, but I can buy replacements for these - new!

RAB

I suspect a lot of the stuff on the Audi Tradition site is just there to maximise profit and minimise distribution costs on obsolete stock. For example, as Special Edition says above, rear Spacefloor boxes are still available. If they ever sell out they won’t be making any more. Likewise many of the trim pieces in Twist/Platinum/Swing Grey.

So any A2 part which is shared with say, a Polo, will have a different part number for the Polo. Would be useful (if someone hasn't done it already) for there to be a list of such parts if new A2 parts are going to be harder to find.
For anyone with an old style wiper blade with aerofoil, it's shared with the wiper blade for a Lamborghini Murcielago pert number 172699492816.

The A2 parts and Polo parts do generally share the same parts numbers starting with 6NO.

Back