Autocar New V. Old Test

Skipton01

Admin Team
Even if you never normally read Autocar magazine, I'd recommend you get a soon-to-hit-the-shelves issue which will be pitting the new VW Polo Bluemotion against its used equivalent, the Audi A2!!

I know that there's a few members who are wondering what to replace their A2s with when the time comes and the Polo is certainly a top contender. However, why not read the opinion of top Autocar journalist Vicky Parrott when she pits the brand new Polo Bluemotion against my A2.

NewvOldTest01.jpg

The above is a taster of what's to come (photo taken by me today at the photoshoot - piccys in the magazine are obviously better, as they're taken by a pro!!!) in a full comparison of the 2 models.

Vicky has promised me that she'll let me know the issue in which the feature will be, so more details to come. I've no idea what the verdict will be, but I've tried to keep the good name of the 4 rings up!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Well, congrats go to Audi UK for putting Autocar in touch with me. As to the comparisons, well, the official data will be used for both models, but with the general 'seat of the pants' opinions from actually being inside the cars added into the mix.

Vicky knows that Tank isn't your average A2, and she'll take this into account when compiling the article I daresay.

Cheers,

Mike

10 years on and the A2 still looks better than that squashed faced thing in the background! well done Mike.

Autocar is my weekly read (on subs) so look forward to that! The mag does like the A2 and often mention it as a good used buy. I personally think the Polo looks far better in the metal and really does ahve a 'junior' Golf image to it. However IF i had to replace the A2 with new it would probably be an Ibiza with the 2.0 TDi engine and £30 rfl..... especially if they put that engine in the forthcoming ST (estate) version.... imagine that remapped to @ 175 horses....

Thanks for the well done, but we've gotta say that Audi did well when they designed and built the A2 all those years ago - you're right though, the A2 looks better, goes better, is more practical and is better built than the Polo.

The Bluemotion version uses the 1.2TDi engine (an all-new engine according to VW), but amazingly it's less economical than the 1.2 TDi A2 and slower to boot.

When we met up this morning at Cannock, the Bluemotion had averaged 56.6mpg from the Autocar HQ near Heathrow, whereas Tank had done 56.8mpg from its base somewhere near Manchester. Not bad for a car with almost twice the power from a 200cc bigger engine, with wider tyres and no real 'eco' tweaks, other than the aero mods and a longer 5th gear. Oh, and Tank is approaching 6 years old and has over 82k miles under his belt and is laden with leather, OpenSky and all manner of other luxury options.

Come on Audi, make the new A2 as forward thinking as the old one was.

Cheers,

Mike

I see you finaly got round to washing it then lol, looks good Mike

I work with the new Polo and the A2 wins hands down, look forward to the mag.

Now you've got to come joint 1st with McNish at ADI this year LOL, can i start pushing for your nomination yet ;)

Phil

Excellent one Mike, I'll keep an eye out for this for sure!

What they should do to keep the feature rolling is to pit the 1.2 3L against something else even more allegedy eco, like I don't know, a ToyBota Pius?

Steady on Phil - it'll be a shu-win for Alan this year - Audi 1,2,3 in Le Mans, a brilliant victory. I'd be happy to come second to him again, so hold your horses just yet.

Cheers,

Mike

PS Dan - I can't see VW allowing the long term humiliation of the Polo Bluemotion in this way - I think they'll get a shock when they see how little they've advanced compared to a 10 year old Audi design!!!

Did they interview you at all or was it just a test drive scenario?
It angers me more and more these days that Audi dropped the A2 for the Q7 and completely lost any initiative on making innovative efficient cars, just at the time when the market was starting to take an interest. Yes we'd all love an R8, but back in the real world - what a waste of 10years.

Steady on Phil - it'll be a shu-win for Alan this year - Audi 1,2,3 in Le Mans, a brilliant victory. I'd be happy to come second to him again, so hold your horses just yet.

Cheers,

Mike

HA HA yes but he didn't win ;)lol its got to be getting close to start pushing again :D

As i said before with the mention of the GTi Polo the boots not that much bigger if it is and looked today got out of a Polo with the seat where i would normaly have it and there was no room behind the seat for an adult, where the A2 i can get the father-in-law with his size 13's:eek:and his 6ft+ frame behind me no problems ( and its the 1st car that he has been able to sit behind me), the A2 is top class and the new one has to be something speical to top it ;)

Cheers Phil

They should make the new one out of a carbon fibre tub - like what McLaren is doing with it's new "mass production" supercar - that would keep it light and up the ante on innovation.

Except that won't happen will it!

Carbon fibre? Probably not, but don't rule out the mass use of polycarbonate panels, attached to a space frame of sorts.

There was no formal interview as such, not one that will be included in the article I imagine.

However, Vicky was really taken with the A2 and was unaware of things like the lower rear floor and service flap operation, so I talked her through some of the clever design touches and there were some 'reportage' type shots of us talking, which might make the finished article.

Dan you're so right that there's been a massive hole in the Audi line-up this last few years and hopefully, it'll not be long before it's manfully filled with an equally forward thingking car, as the A2 proved to be. As to the R8, it has its place in strengthening the visibility of the brand and has no doubt helped sales of other models by association. This in turn gives Audi the funds to then pursue another 'clever' car.

Phil, I agree and I demonstrated the rear room by sitting behind my drivers seat, with it in my normal driving position - I fitted with room to spare!!

Cheers,

Mike

Tend to buy Autoexpress on alternate weeks to Autocar. Will keep an eye out for it.
On the green issue alone the A2 has to win because of the energy being saved NOT making yet another car. Have heard stories that this new 1.2TSI engine is too stressed which could affect longevity

Excellent, I'm looking forward to this issue :D

I won't entirely knock the 'new' Polo because I drive them regularly and quite like them but yes they do just follow the normal small car template. (2011 model year gets a panoramic sunroof option though....hmm!).

Maybe there should also be a follow up article.....

sed A2 or new one of these?

It is simple business and profits. The A2 didn't make any, the Q7 does. I think even Audi would now admit that in hindsight the lack of a replacement for the A2 is a huge marketing error. Whatever we like about the A2 it doesn't have quite the visually pleasing proportions of the TT. You also have to remember the A2 simply didn't have remotely the same showroom appeal of the MINI to the trendy young set. BMW marketing of the MINI simply ran circles around Audi.

Well that's the point though, it wasn't the fault of the car per se that Audi fecked up marketing the A2 big style, but rather than trying to fix that, they just dumped it. I always got the impression that Audi didn't really know what to do with the A2, it just was too different from their comfort zone of big(ish) "executive" saloons and the like.

I've said it before too, the VAG group should have badge engineered the A2 platform - they would have sold many more examples if they had cheaper variants under one of the many VAG brands, which would have lowered the per unit cost.

They did, the badge engineered versions were built of steel and called Polo, Fabia and Ibiza.....:) just look at how many running gear components in common those cars have with an A2.....;) and in reality when a Fabia cost £9k at the time an A2 set you back £18k...... I recall Frederick Manby who is the Yorkshire Post muttering rotter tested the A2 and basically said rubbish ride, less performance, twice the price, expensive servicing/insurance build quality on a par so why would anyone with any sense buy an A2? After all on a like for like mileage/age basis the Fabia is probably now worth £2k+ making a net loss of £7k's whilst the A2 is possibly worth £5k making a net loss of £16k's...... However we digress and heres hoping the feature gives a lift to A2 demand and values :D

Some very good points there Adrian. As someone who bought a new A2 in 2004 I had to make the numbers work. On paper at least, if I kept the car for 3 years and did 60k miles (which I was averaging before I sold it), then it would have cost me 18 pence per mile. That was little more than 'equivalent' Fabia, but cheaper than a Focus of which in terms of interior space it was similar too. But sometimes cars are more than just money and to me there's now a value in owning the car I want, rather than the cheapest car I can afford. :)

In terms of interior space I imagine the latest generation Polo is getting close to the A2, so this article should make interesting reading.

In terms of interior space I imagine the latest generation Polo is getting close to the A2, so this article should make interesting reading.

Having been inside the new Polo yesterday and driven it a short while, I can tell you the interior space is woeful compared to the A2.

Cheers,

Mike

Back