Bluetooth audio streaming to Chorus II

Malcyb

Morning,

I’ve found similar threads on this subject before but there were still a few things unclear to me. My FSi has a Chorus II head unit, no CD changer and no steering wheel controls. I would like to be able to stream BT audio to the head unit for a modest outlay and hopefully not too much effort. I read that one of these will plug into the CD changer connector at the back of the head unit…

Am I right in thinking though that, given there’s no CD changer installed, some coding would be required using VCDS to make it work? If so, exactly what coding is required and would this be safe and simple for a VCDS novice to do if I stumped up the $99 to licence my copy of VCDS lite, or does it require full fat VCDS?

If there are better alternatives to this bluemusic adaptor I’d be curious, however note that I just want it to do one thing well, that is to stream audio, i don’t want the bells and whistles that a parrot might offer. To cut to the chase, I’ve fitted a Carplay/Android Auto console to the top of the dash which I can connect my phone to. It supports audio output via FM transmission (which is not great quality TBH), Aux connection (I don’t want too many cables running around) or Bluetooth transmission. So I want to exploit the latter while interacting with my phone on the console which, besides the quality of audio on FM transmission, works very well.

Reactions: Ami
Yes, you'll need to code the Chorus for CD. Lite is fine. I think you need the registered version, at $99. Really good idea anyway for An FSI'er.
Follow the link below, last item under "Coding"
Change from 000000 to 000002.
Mac.

Thanks… should it be reasonably self evident how I do this? I looked at the manual on the Ross-tech website and it didn’t look all that obvious.

Thanks… should it be reasonably self evident how I do this? I looked at the manual on the Ross-tech website and it didn’t look all that obvious.
Yes, select the "Radio" controller from the controller list, then coding, and you'll see the 000000, change to 000002, click "Go" and that's it.
Try it with your free Lite, might work, can't remember, no harm if it doesn't.
Mac.

Yes, select the "Radio" controller from the controller list, then coding, and you'll see the 000000, change to 000002, click "Go" and that's it.
Try it with your free Lite, might work, can't remember, no harm if it doesn't.
Mac.
Will do. Need to figure out how Bluetooth transmission works on my console first before I get the adaptor.

You can do the coding anytime, before you get the adapter.
Once you have done the recode, and plugged in the adapter, you just pair the adapter to your phone.
Press CD on the Chorus, and you'll be good to go. Remember to enable media on the Bluetooth settings on the phone.
Mac.

You can do the coding anytime, before you get the adapter.
Once you have done the recode, and plugged in the adapter, you just pair the adapter to your phone.
Press CD on the Chorus, and you'll be good to go. Remember to enable media on the Bluetooth settings on the phone.
Mac.
Mac I will be looking soon to connect an external CarPlay unit which has an aux. I have a Chorus 2 cassette
Would this be suitable Sir?

Mac I will be looking soon to connect an external CarPlay unit which has an aux. I have a Chorus 2 cassette

I would imagine so as this is just a slightly enhanced version of the unit I listed. I take it the CarPlay unit is one you have already? If not then I’d suggest looking for one which supports Bluetooth audio output - there aren’t many of these but I’d say it’s worth it, got mine on Amazon and can give you the details if you’re interested.

I would imagine so as this is just a slightly enhanced version of the unit I listed. I take it the CarPlay unit is one you have already? If not then I’d suggest looking for one which supports Bluetooth audio output - there aren’t many of these but I’d say it’s worth it, got mine on Amazon and can give you the details if you’re interested.

Thanks no I have not bought anything yet
Yes please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'll will leave comments to others that may have fitted it, as never sure from descriptions, but probably OK.
The BT adapter I have, an AnyCarLink 1080B, does BT, has Aux in jack, USB thumb drive, and SD card, and hands free mic. I like the thumb drive, all my music is on it, and it's my main source. Never used Aux input, SD duplicates the thumb drive, and is a pain to write to, no SD slot in my laptop.
Sadly, no longer available. X Car Link looks similar.
Mac.

I recently purchased a similar bt module, (bluemusic, about the same price) mine has Bluetooth but no microphone or aux inputs though.
It works well and is straightforward and easy, but I was a little disappointed with the sound quality, slightly dulled and muddy compared to the radio.

I recently purchased a similar bt module, (bluemusic, about the same price) mine has Bluetooth but no microphone or aux inputs though.
It works well and is straightforward and easy, but I was a little disappointed with the sound quality, slightly dulled and muddy compared to the radio.
The version of the Bluetooth implementation on some adapters is very early, whereas the version on your phone is likely to be recent.
A mismatch is unlikely to be a good thing though.
On Android phones, the version can be changed, in Developer Options.
Mac.

The version of the Bluetooth implementation on some adapters is very early, whereas the version on your phone is likely to be recent.
A mismatch is unlikely to be a good thing though.
On Android phones, the version can be changed, in Developer Options.
Mac.
So the problem is the mismatch between the Bluetooth versions, as opposed to a data transfer speed limit of earlier Bluetooth chips?
Seems odd a newer version on the phone side of the connection would drop the quality on the adapter side

Thanks no I have not bought anything yet
Yes please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I’ve found that the link to the one I bought a month or so ago doesn’t work any more, however I think this is the same one. Screen is large but not all that high so doesn’t impede your vision unduly. Display quality is really good, and the self adhesive mount nice and discreet. Had it hardwired in so there’s no unsightly 12V plug and cable trailing across the dash, looks very neat.

Wireless Car Stereos for Apple CarPlay Android Auto with Backup Camera,9.26 Inch Touch Screen Car Play Radio,Support GPS Navigation,Bluetooth 5.0,Airplay,Calling,Google/Siri,AUX,FM https://amzn.eu/d/4VRCWAG

Last edited:
So the problem is the mismatch between the Bluetooth versions, as opposed to a data transfer speed limit of earlier Bluetooth chips?
Seems odd a newer version on the phone side of the connection would drop the quality on the adapter side
The quality of a Bluetooth link is only as good as the lowest quality device.
I'm not an expert though, just try to understand how things work, (including FSIs).
For sure the latest versions of the Bluetooth protocol are far superior in quality, but that only works if both halves of the pair are up to date.
Using the thumb drive means the sound is, mostly, dependant on the mp3 file, not streaming software. So, worth having that option imo.
Mac

The quality of a Bluetooth link is only as good as the lowest quality device.
I'm not an expert though, just try to understand how things work, (including FSIs).
For sure the latest versions of the Bluetooth protocol are far superior in quality, but that only works if both halves of the pair are up to date.
Using the thumb drive means the sound is, mostly, dependant on the mp3 file, not streaming software. So, worth having that option imo.
Mac
Ahh yeah that makes sense.
I thought you were previously suggesting that reverting the Bluetooth version used on the phone would improve things

Unfortunately I’ve found that the link to the one I bought a month or so ago doesn’t work any more, however I think this is the same one. Screen is large but not all that high so doesn’t impede your vision unduly. Display quality is really good, and the self adhesive mount nice and discreet. Had it hardwired in so there’s no unsightly 12V plug and cable trailing across the dash, looks very neat.

Wireless Car Stereos for Apple CarPlay Android Auto with Backup Camera,9.26 Inch Touch Screen Car Play Radio,Support GPS Navigation,Bluetooth 5.0,Airplay,Calling,Google/Siri,AUX,FM https://amzn.eu/d/4VRCWAG
would love to see some pictures if you get time to post some up

would love to see some pictures if you get time to post some up
Apologies for the lousy photo but best I can give you until she’s back from the paint shop. The fact that google maps is permanently in night mode is a bit of a niggle, haven’t made a serious effort to fix that yet.
00EA1FD7-D2EB-49D9-A882-E64BEB1F7AC9.jpeg

Apologies for the lousy photo but best I can give you until she’s back from the paint shop. The fact that google maps is permanently in night mode is a bit of a niggle, haven’t made a serious effort to fix that yet.
View attachment 122679
Thanks did you screw it in the dash? I’m hoping to find something that sits a bit lower and a bit closer to the edge nearer the vents.

Thanks did you screw it in the dash? I’m hoping to find something that sits a bit lower and a bit closer to the edge nearer the vents.

Yes I did. Since it’s sitting on the relatively flat top section I’m not sure how necessary that was, possibly the self-adhesive pad on the mount might have been enough, but wanted it good and secure. Not sure how easy it would be to have it sitting much lower and further forward, there might be a telescopic mount that can do that, but it’s easy enough to reach where it is IMHO, given that I do most of my interactions with Android Auto by voice.

Back