BMW M3 owner saying Hi!!

JohnH79

Hello everyone!

Really thought I should join this forum as my Girlfriend has an Audi A2 TDi and muggins here is the one that has to maintain, repair and sometimes even wash it! :rolleyes:

Although I'm not normally a lover of Oil burners, this car has grown on me considerably! It is good fun to drive, feels quite nimble and light and considering it only has 75 bhp (my M3 has 350bhp!), feels surprisingly quick! The £30 a year road tax and incredibly good mpg is also a big big plus point!

I'm still new to A2's in general and even Audi's as a brand, but I am a true lover of German cars, being an M3 driver myself. I am used to £1000 for a set of tyres, £270 a year to tax and mpg figures well under 20! The Audi in comparison is just another world in terms of running costs! It's great for long trips, taking the dog out and runs to the shops! Saves me using my car so much and emptying my wallet quite so quickly.

Brief info on her A2: It's an early 2001 1.4 TDi (75) in Silver. I'm not sure what version it is ie Sport, SE etc. It appears to have bigger alloy wheels than some others I have seen and has the electric Glass roof fitted (which is lovely in the summer) and Full leather interior. Apart from the above I cant really see any other Factory extras. No Sat nav, has a tape deck. Here is a piccie of how she looks:

AudiA2_zps0b1e1cbd.jpg

So far I've changed the Maf sensor and the button that releases the petrol flap. It currently has a bit of a running issue at the moment, where it is going in to a safe mode over 60mph. Having a read through here, it looks like it could be an over-boost problem. I have tried a few things an am a little stuck. I cant believe how tight everything is for access! Removing the bonnet is also very quirky! However, I will start another thread about this though, to keep this on topic. Apart from this problem, it is a really great economical car (don't let my girlfriend hear me praising it so much) that complements my M3 perfectly. We have her car for economy and my car for speed! This is my baby:

P1020015.jpg

I'm really in to my car modding (always have been) so hope I can convince the Misses to go in for some slight subtle mods on the A2! I'm thinking Remap/larger intercooler, coilovers and larger (Audi) alloys, like the multi spoke TT wheels. I'm not sure she will be keen on any of this, maybe I'll just do it without telling her!!

There seems to be loads of great people on here and lots of info and great advice, so I'm hoping I can get some help with repairs and maintenance. I'll post about the running issue shortly. Thanks for now guys and girls :)

Last edited:
Welcome :)

Looks like a nice car. It is an SE judging from the fog lights & alloys.

Remap - good.

Larger alloys - I personally would argue against this, the suspension is already on the harsh side. I went from 16s to 15s and it was much better that way.

Coilovers ... well, I would recommend getting Koni FSD progressive dampers instead of coilovers.

Welcome!
Looks a nice car - both of them!
As Mike has already said, yours looks like an SE. With the OpenSky, does it judder at all or is it nice and smooth? They prefer being exercised frequently - get into the habit of opening them often and get the runners and seals lubricated (often forgotten)...

Many TDis seem to suffer from boost problems - I know mine did! Likely either to be a split/ loose boost control hose - there are three and they dive off down the back of the engine into the dark recesses - or it'll be a split intercooler. The latter is easy to check visually - get the bonnet off (take care where you put it so you don't stand on it!) and examine down the front left of the car - there are two radiators, the smaller one on the left is the intercooler. It should still be a relatively nice clean silvery aluminium colour. If it's all black and oily, it's split...

I've had 16, 17, 16, and now 15s on my car. Can honestly say 17s look the best, but they kill what ever is left of the car's suspension compliance! I also have the Koni FSD suspension has Mike has alluded to above. With a 51-era car the suspension is probably starting to get to the point of needing some attention anyway as things age :)

Remap - no question - I did mine in the first week of ownership. Makes the car surprisingly nippy (I'm not going to say fast given you drive an M3!).

Either way, enjoy!

Welcome :)

Looks like a nice car. It is an SE judging from the fog lights & alloys.

Remap - good.

Larger alloys - I personally would argue against this, the suspension is already on the harsh side. I went from 16s to 15s and it was much better that way.

Coilovers ... well, I would recommend getting Koni FSD progressive dampers instead of coilovers.

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't think I'd get away with fitting bigger alloys anyway. To be fair the ones on it, don't look bad at all. I just think it needs lowering slightly! It is surprisingly firm as standard (although not as firm as the M3). Is this because it is tall and narrow and thus to keep it stable?

So the alloys and foglights denote SE spec then? I'm guessing the roof and leather is an optional extra. I've not seen another on the road with one of these roofs actually! Are they rare? I just wish someone specc'd Cruise control and a Sat nav. I miss not having a 6th gear too, but I am a bit spoilt with my M3!! :)

Also, why oh why doesn't it display MPG on the dash??? You think, being as economical as it is - that they would want to shout about this!!
Welcome!
Looks a nice car - both of them!
As Mike has already said, yours looks like an SE. With the OpenSky, does it judder at all or is it nice and smooth? They prefer being exercised frequently - get into the habit of opening them often and get the runners and seals lubricated (often forgotten)...

Many TDis seem to suffer from boost problems - I know mine did! Likely either to be a split/ loose boost control hose - there are three and they dive off down the back of the engine into the dark recesses - or it'll be a split intercooler. The latter is easy to check visually - get the bonnet off (take care where you put it so you don't stand on it!) and examine down the front left of the car - there are two radiators, the smaller one on the left is the intercooler. It should still be a relatively nice clean silvery aluminium colour. If it's all black and oily, it's split...

I've had 16, 17, 16, and now 15s on my car. Can honestly say 17s look the best, but they kill what ever is left of the car's suspension compliance! I also have the Koni FSD suspension has Mike has alluded to above. With a 51-era car the suspension is probably starting to get to the point of needing some attention anyway as things age :)

Remap - no question - I did mine in the first week of ownership. Makes the car surprisingly nippy (I'm not going to say fast given you drive an M3!).

Either way, enjoy!

Thanks mate. The roof seems silky smooth to be honest. It does get a lot of use though, with a smelly dog in the boot most of the time! The thing that I don't like is it doesn't automatically stop when opening if you only wanted it 'tilted'. It carries on going all the way back, so timing is critical to stop it without a gap at the front where the wind rustles through!

I think as I said above the alloys will have to stay, but I like the sound of better/slightly lower suspension if it doesn't make it any firmer. I might have to wait until the current 2001 suspension starts failing, but then I think a nice Koni upgrade will have to go on! I've run Konis in the past on my old Civic with Eibach springs and really rated them.

I reckon I could get away with a remap. Especially if I could get it done by somebody 'mobile' when I am using the car. Then the Misses would never even know!! :)

Regarding the 'Safe mode issue'. No warning lights on dash. No error codes logged. If you turn the ignition off it resets. Checked as many boost hoses as I can, but so signs of splitting. The intercooler still looks Silver and in good condition. God knows how you get to/check the smaller pipes running down the back of the engine bay! I've jacked it up, put in on axle stands and removed the undertray but you need pixie hands/arms to get up there! The Turbo heat shield doesn't exactly help matters either!

Once thing though I have noticed. By the bottom large hose on the intercooler there is a small 'nipple' that looks like a rubber hose should push over it. There is nothing connected to it! This cant be right can it?! Boost must be leaking out of here however, I cant find any loose hoses that should be connected to it! Weird! Any thoughts?

Wow, lots in your post to respond to!

Yes, the firmness of the ride is to do with the low weight, high centre of gravity nature of the car and the physics demands of the infamous Elk Test - you may recall years ago the Merc A Class (also a tall and thin car) failed the Elk test (it rolled over in a high speed swerve manoevre) so they had to make major revisions to the stability management... but also Audi really (still) aren't very good at getting their damping right...

I don't know the relative numbers of SEs vs Sports, but OpenSky with Leather is a very rare set of added extras indeed - you're looking at £2500's worth of extra cost toys when new. My car is similarly specced though :)
Leather seats can be retrofitted if you can find donor seats - they do come up on Ebay and on this forum now and again. Do you have 2, or 3 (rear bench) seats at the back?
Cruise control can be retrofitted and is very commonly done - not too costly either (i've done that!)
6th gear can even be retrofitted - MikeMars has pioneered this work with an amazing kit that adds on the extra ratio to the end of the gearbox. Mike is getting absurd MPG as a result!
Koni FSDs and Weitec front springs (with Sport rear springs) will lower your car by about 15mm. I've done that :)
Full Trip computer function (DIS) - amazingly this was standard fitment on the Sport Model but not on the SE. Again, it is possible to retrofit it if you can find the donor parts (the cluster is the hard part). I've done this too!

The boost control hoses -they all eventually terminate up at the N75 valve which is in the top right of the engine bay as you look at it. Trace them from there. They're right little so and so's.
The unused nipple on the intercooler is because it's the same part as other VAG cars which have an additional sensor here. In the A2 it's not used so is blanked out.

Last edited:
...So the alloys and foglights denote SE spec then? I'm guessing the roof and leather is an optional extra. I've not seen another on the road with one of these roofs actually! Are they rare? I just wish someone specc'd Cruise control and a Sat nav. I miss not having a 6th gear too, but I am a bit spoilt with my M3!! :)

Mine is an SE, with the opensky roof. Remapped by Stealth Racing. I had audi cruise-control retrofitted into it (by Mike/Skipton01 on the forum), and as Dan said I also had a 6th gear retrofitted (also by Stealth Racing).

Some people also retrofit the audi sat-nav (RNS-E) with the multifunction steering wheel.

So you are in the happy position that everything on your wishlist can be retrofitted :)

Last edited:
T...
I think as I said above the alloys will have to stay, but I like the sound of better/slightly lower suspension if it doesn't make it any firmer. I might have to wait until the current 2001 suspension starts failing, but then I think a nice Koni upgrade will have to go on! I've run Konis in the past on my old Civic with Eibach springs and really rated them....

I have Koni FSD and Eibach. It is very firm on riding on 195/50/16 tyres, same SE wheels as yours. Although my petrol engine is a lot lighter at the front. It is elise/exige level firm. The ride quality is the weakest part of the A2, even the usually numb Audi steering isn't so bad in comparison. There are fully adjustable CO kits for A2 but they will cost you more than a full set of MPSC for your E46. There is a lot to read on the forum if you really want to change the suspension of the A2..

Wow, lots in your post to respond to!

Yes, the firmness of the ride is to do with the low weight, high centre of gravity nature of the car and the physics demands of the infamous Elk Test - you may recall years ago the Merc A Class (also a tall and thin car) failed the Elk test (it rolled over in a high speed swerve manoevre) so they had to make major revisions to the stability management... but also Audi really (still) aren't very good at getting their damping right...

I don't know the relative numbers of SEs vs Sports, but OpenSky with Leather is a very rare set of added extras indeed - you're looking at £2500's worth of extra cost toys when new. My car is similarly specced though :)
Leather seats can be retrofitted if you can find donor seats - they do come up on Ebay and on this forum now and again. Do you have 2, or 3 (rear bench) seats at the back?
Cruise control can be retrofitted and is very commonly done - not too costly either (i've done that!)
6th gear can even be retrofitted - MikeMars has pioneered this work with an amazing kit that adds on the extra ratio to the end of the gearbox. Mike is getting absurd MPG as a result!
Koni FSDs and Weitec front springs (with Sport rear springs) will lower your car by about 15mm. I've done that :)
Full Trip computer function (DIS) - amazingly this was standard fitment on the Sport Model but not on the SE. Again, it is possible to retrofit it if you can find the donor parts (the cluster is the hard part). I've done this too!

The boost control hoses -they all eventually terminate up at the N75 valve which is in the top right of the engine bay as you look at it. Trace them from there. They're right little so and so's.
The unused nipple on the intercooler is because it's the same part as other VAG cars which have an additional sensor here. In the A2 it's not used so is blanked out.

Sorry - lots of questions!

I thought the firmness would be to do with the overall height/width. Reminds me of that Top Gear episode where Hammond rolls the Bedford Rascal!! I think I will wait until the standard suspension is tired before I consider an upgrade. Although I don't think the Misses would be happy with an even firmer ride!

I need to go hunting for this N75 valve then. It's just my luck, that the perished hose is probably one of these stupid small ones that you cant get to! Can you get to them from the top through the engine bay or is it a case of undertray off and Turbo heatshield off?
This nipple on the intercooler has a small hole in the middle which is why I thought it was used. I guess it is blanked off inside the intercooler then?

I would definitely like to retro-fit the cruise control. What would I need to buy/fit? I'd love to do the DIS too, but this sounds more complicated/expensive!

Sorry, lots of questions again!

To reto fit cruse you need a new stalk and make a custom Loom from the stalk to the ccu. Then change the programming with vcds.

What most people do is get Mike Skipton to do it for them. He has done lots for members. With notice he can do this at socials as well.

Cheers

David

Mine is an SE, with the opensky roof. Remapped by Stealth Racing. I had audi cruise-control retrofitted into it (by Mike/Skipton01 on the forum), and as Dan said I also had a 6th gear retrofitted (also by Stealth Racing).

Some people also retrofit the audi sat-nav (RNS-E) with the multifunction steering wheel.

So you are in the happy position that everything on your wishlist can be retrofitted :)

If this was my car, then I would retrofit the lot (I have now retrofitted most factory option in to my M3) but as it's not my car, I must resist! There are still many things that the M3 needs to be treated to. Can't get caught up spending lots of money on two cars! My motorbike is still in bits too! That needs some cash (and time) thrown at it!!

The Remap does sound very very tempting though, although from reading on this forum may cause the intercooler to fail! Cant believe that these intercoolers have plastic end caps! What a terrible design!

I have Koni FSD and Eibach. It is very firm on riding on 195/50/16 tyres, same SE wheels as yours. Although my petrol engine is a lot lighter at the front. It is elise/exige level firm. The ride quality is the weakest part of the A2, even the usually numb Audi steering isn't so bad in comparison. There are fully adjustable CO kits for A2 but they will cost you more than a full set of MPSC for your E46. There is a lot to read on the forum if you really want to change the suspension of the A2..

I still want Coilovers for my car, so it seems much less like the A2 will get Suspension now! The steering is nothing like the M3, but for a tall narrow front wheel drive car, it's better than I expected it would be!

Last edited:
The N75 valve itself is fairly easy to locate, but tracking the hoses from it is a nightmare. There's all sorts of bits in the way and they dive off down into the dark, dirty recesses of the back of the engine.
With mine, two were split, and the third had actually become disconnected from the wastegate actuator, which was also on the stiff-side of stiff.
If you remove the air intake scoop, that'll give you more room to work in and you can get your arm down the back there - but obviously you can't then actually see what you're doing...

FYI - the question around the intercooler connector that goes nowhere - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...eter-pipe-going-nowhere&highlight=intercooler

Last edited:
The Remap does sound very very tempting though, although from reading on this forum may cause the intercooler to fail! Cant believe that these intercoolers have plastic end caps! What a terrible design!

I wouldn't say it's remapping that causes intercooler failure -have seen several A2s blow their ICs when they've not been remapped (my cousin's one for example). Also they don't run particularly high boost (even when mapped), so I can imagine the plastic end cap was used to reduce cost and weight. The strange thing is that they still manage to blow their seals - and always at the bottom. I'm sure it's a function of vibration as much as anything else.

Mine was remapped over 4 years ago and only just recently I had my intercooler replaced

The N75 valve itself is fairly easy to locate, but tracking the hoses from it is a nightmare. There's all sorts of bits in the way and they dive off down into the dark, dirty recesses of the back of the engine.
With mine, two were split, and the third had actually become disconnected from the wastegate actuator, which was also on the stiff-side of stiff.
If you remove the air intake scoop, that'll give you more room to work in and you can get your arm down the back there - but obviously you can't then actually see what you're doing...

FYI - the question around the intercooler connector that goes nowhere - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...eter-pipe-going-nowhere&highlight=intercooler

Well that's kind of good news about the unused nipple, but also bad news as I hoped that was my easy fix! Back to square one then. I did look at that Huge intake scoop thinking it was getting in the way. I'll have to take that off to give me a (little more) room. If I do find a small split hose I take it that it's going to be even more of a mission to actually replace said hose?! I love being the designated car fixer - NOT!!

To take off the air scoop, you must first remove the windscreen wiper... True!
Then you can remove the trim panel around the top of the engine bay where you can then actually access the bolts that secure the scoop. Enjoy the packaging solutions of the A2 engine bay! (actually it's not that bad!).

The Koni fsd set up actually improves the ride, hence so many a2 owners have gone down that route, myself included. I have a sport spec a2 with FSD's alround, SE springs on the rear, RARB, 195/50x 15 tyre/wheel combo and just about to fit Spiden springs on the front in lieu of Weitec -30 springs. All in the search for better ride without sacrificing handling/roadholding.

Aah yes, the Whiteline rear anti roll bar - I threw "green" driving to the wind the other day and gave the A2 the absolute beans through some twisty stuff and I have to say it does handle extremely well with Koni FSDs and the Whiteline RARB!

I think you need to get yourself and the wife of course to a social and there i'm sure a member with Koni's and remap would gladly take you out for a spin and you will be suprised what a difference it does make. A guy at work services 3 A2's and he did my cambelt last month and he's not stopped raving on about it, before then he was not impressed but after getting in mine he's looking into trading his 08 ford fiesta in as he say's his is guttless as anything and mine just wants to go all the time and handlse like a dream. I've got the 75SE remapped to 106(on a rolling road) by Stealth racing also 4 years ago and no problems, running Koni FSD's and -30 Wietecs on the front with rear ARB and i swap between 16's for the winter and 17's for the summer this year i got some TT 16's as these allow bigger tyres so increase comfort but keep the handling ;)
Summer wheels
attachment.php

Winter wheels
attachment.php

Cheers Phil

PS Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
To take off the air scoop, you must first remove the windscreen wiper... True!
Then you can remove the trim panel around the top of the engine bay where you can then actually access the bolts that secure the scoop. Enjoy the packaging solutions of the A2 engine bay! (actually it's not that bad!).

Thanks for mentioning that, I wouldn't have guessed I had to remove the wiper if you hadn't mentioned it! I will remove scoop this weekend and try and get to these pesky pipes. I bet at least one has a hole in it! Is it hard to check for splits without actually removing the pipes though?

The Koni fsd set up actually improves the ride, hence so many a2 owners have gone down that route, myself included. I have a sport spec a2 with FSD's alround, SE springs on the rear, RARB, 195/50x 15 tyre/wheel combo and just about to fit Spiden springs on the front in lieu of Weitec -30 springs. All in the search for better ride without sacrificing handling/roadholding.

Thanks for that. That will be good ammunition for the Misses when I suggest it to her - Better ride quality! I have seen some people fitting Sport rear Springs to an SE and someone else fitting SE rear springs to the Sport! Is this all about ride height or firmness? Rough cost for the FSD setup?

Back