Calling all Pro Boost FSI owners

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
It's now almost 2.5 years since the first UK members fitted their Pro Boost ECU's.

How are you all getting on? I haven't had any complaints, so as they say no news is good news, but it would be great to hear feedback on the reliability of your FSI's over that period?

EML issues, misfires, acceleration problems over the timeframe since fitted?

@Spen @BiggDogg @Valpen @mrbroons @ANDYT @Phil FSI @gromand

Last edited:
I looked at the German website. At the end it says not permitted to use on public roads. I presume its for Germany only

Steve, I have used mine on 3 cars, EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE, NO EML NO misfire etc with my one the only issue is the that, the MOT emission's test too close to the limit, 2 cars just passed & one had to resort to another method.
Cheers,
Ami

Hi Steve,
Managed 140 miles with mine then the eml came on. Until I get a hand-held OBD reader, I cannot determine the cause, it could just be another sensor that has just gone.
Incidentally, the mpg has just returned 41 mpg so the new ecu might have something to do with that. Must say, that is driving at the limit….. did same thing prior to getting the belts done and it returned 46/48😳 still, a price that has to be paid in relation to that darn eml.
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Steve,
Managed 140 miles with mine then the eml came on. Until I get a hand-held OBD reader, I cannot determine the cause, it could just be another sensor that has just gone.
Incidentally, the mpg has just returned 41 mpg so the new ecu might have something to do with that. Must say, that is driving at the limit….. did same thing prior to getting the belts done and it returned 46/48😳 still, a price that has to be paid in relation to that darn eml.
Cheers,
Paul

Please update here Paul once you’ve scanned it.

Please update here Paul once you’ve scanned it.
Hi Steve,
I am tied up for a week or so and have not ordered the device yet, just waiting for some feedback from guys on this forum to ascertain if my selected device is worthwhile. I am suspect/hope it is just the oxy/sensor.😳😳

Steve,
No running problems or warning light issues with the Pro Boost over the last 15 months. If only the intermittent ESP/ABS/ Brake warnings could fixed so easily! Many thanks.

Hi Steve,
I am tied up for a week or so and have not ordered the device yet, just waiting for some feedback from guys on this forum to ascertain if my selected device is worthwhile. I am suspect/hope it is just the oxy/sensor.😳😳
I have an Xtool V401 which works well and allows some coding.
I've never used anything else so have nothing to compare it with.

Hi Steve ,

I've just checked my records , my ProBoost ECU was installed back in May 2020 ( I may have been one of the early recipients).
The FSI had by then already been fully sorted by B&F Autos so the Proboost was brought in to ensure the FSI makes it too 200k. (which I really hope it will) !
ProBoost made no difference to idle, acceleration or general driveability.
It did however cure a niggling P1031 Set Point not reached sporadic, frequent EML which Gary + John from B&F suspected would need a new lower manifold to resolve. With the ProBoost map running the EML LIGHT ON or ERROR P1031 has never returned (touch wood).
some points to mention :

i) immobiliser was mapped back to the ProBoost ECU by Timmus
ii) the MPG is slightly down and lower than before. I believe I could squeeze 400 miles from a full tank and now about maybe 350 / 360 on the same motorway run.
(iii) No issues with emissions at MOT

In summary, the ProBoost has done around 10+K miles with zero issues, enough for me to pass my original ECU onto Jellybean. I feel its a very worthwhile investment if you intend to keep hold of an FSI and want less things to worry about in the longer term.
My FSI was purchased in 2017 as a backup A2 and in all honesty it hasn't caused me any real concerns since the constant , warm misfire was diagnosed as sticky valves and fixed back in 2018.
It has been a joy to drive since and I must add, utterly 100% reliable in the last 6 years / 25k miles or so.
I am always surprised to read of posts where so many A2 FSIs are having issues and constant niggles on the forum.
I can confirm the ProBoost is all GOOD !

Parmjit

Steve,
No running problems or warning light issues with the Pro Boost over the last 15 months. If only the intermittent ESP/ABS/ Brake warnings could fixed so easily! Many thanks.
If you've not scanned the car, to give you a good idea what's causing the ESP/ABS warnings, you should urgently. With these warnings present, the ABS and ESP systems are inoperative. Never know when you might need them.
Mac.

Mines done about 10k miles and its going great. (running the FSI as my only car) No EML return and the acceleration is now constant. Couldn't be happier. I've not noticed any significant drop in MPG. :)

Mines done about 10k miles and its going great. (running the FSI as my only car) No EML return and the acceleration is now constant. Couldn't be happier. I've not noticed any significant drop in MPG. :)

That's a fair few miles clocked up in that time.

Mine was running fine and dandy from supply and fit until it wasn't in October last year.

I noticed that the revs were being limited but no useful messages from the upgraded DIS and the temperature for coolant looked okay. Dropped it to my technician and he called me a few days later to report that he'd had a disaster. Water pump broken and water had somehow made its way into the engine, creating a lovely emulsion...
Anyway, I don't think this has anything to do with the Pro Boost and everything to do with the cooling system failing due to the high temperatures the car ran at for 19 years of its life.
I haven't yet got the car back (he moonlights on my car( but hoping to have it soon. At which time, I will look at replacing the exhaust with stainless and may investigate updating the suspension, bushes, etc.

That's a fair few miles clocked up in that time.
Yes, and all trouble free so far. The proboost makes the car run smoother and accelerate properly, and cruise fitted by Timmus helps massively. Also fitted a MFSW which I use way more than I anticipated. All good.

Yes, and all trouble free so far. The proboost makes the car run smoother and accelerate properly, and cruise fitted by Timmus helps massively. Also fitted a MFSW which I use way more than I anticipated. All good.
MFSW makes such i difference I think. It’s a tactile thing in terms of making the car feel nicer and more modern but also such an enhancement ergonomically.

Back