Camshaft belt 1.4 tdi

Chiefmechanic

The cam belt on my niece’s 2003 1.4tdi atl engine has stripped a couple of teeth. I need to reset the crankshaft and camshaft timing. The camshaft is easy but the crankshaft not so. Does the mark on the crankshaft Sprocket tooth line up with the hole that the locking tool goes into. The engine is running but a little down on power. Is there any way to check the timing other than strip it down and check the marks on the respective wheels. Brian

You need a crankshaft locking tool. You can't hope to do it accurately without!

RAB

Attachments

• VS4840.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
HI I would advise that you use a crankshaft locking tool as when the tensioner tightens the belt this will attempt to move the timing out of position check the timing carefully as you are working on an engine that will bend valves and damage pistons if incorrectly timed

Thanks that was very informative. I have a crankshaft locking tool. My question is how do I know the crankshaft is at tdc when I lock it.
22F372A5-22B1-48BB-BF89-D8BB39C282C5.jpeg

Not sure if you are already one step ahead of me but I struggled with the marks first time till I unscrewed the knob on the locking tool

Cheers Spike

Thanks that was very informative. I have a crankshaft locking tool. My question is how do I know the crankshaft is at tdc when I lock it.
Look at your crankshaft sprocket. Is the mark on the sprocket adjacent to one Allen screw or between two screws? That determines which crankshaft lock to use. Use the correct locking tool and lock as shown. The locking tool locates in a hole in the crankcase (not shown). That's TDC.

RAB

My crankshaft locking tool does not have an arrow for alignment. Thanks for that info. I will have another go this weekend.

Back