Cast Wishbone Replacement - Aftermarket Meyle

Pup

Just wanted to share my experiance of a Meyle cast front wishbone.
Check it before you wreak it!
I've sent it back for a refund after wasting a rainy morning on my drive with it and destroying a couple of ratchet straps in the process.
Can anyone enlighten me please if this is just a faulty part or was there a design change at some stage?
Photos show the original Audi wishbone bare end on the left with Meyle on the right.

Attachments

• DSC_7578.JPG
    DSC_7578.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_7577.JPG
    DSC_7577.JPG
    701.1 KB · Views: 183
How frustrating. Hope you get it sorted. I (or my garage) fitted Lemforder but I know it can now be difficult to source parts.

For those struggling to see the difference - both show measurements of 0875 - you need to click on the photos to zoom in. You will then see the Audi one is less wide - the calipers are not touching on both sides.

Just wanted to share my experiance of a Meyle cast front wishbone.
Check it before you wreak it!
I've sent it back for a refund after wasting a rainy morning on my drive with it and destroying a couple of ratchet straps in the process.
Can anyone enlighten me please if this is just a faulty part or was there a design change at some stage?
Photos show the original Audi wishbone bare end on the left with Meyle on the right.
I think the real measurement needs to be taken from the middle of the hexagonal section as this is the operational running area of the bush & arm, the tip protrudes through when fitted.
Hopefully this helps
Keith

I bought the same MEYLE cast wishbomes and had the same problem. I managed to destroyed two heavy duty straps while pushing this new much thicker version trough the old bushing with everything in situ. At the end I took the console out and bought this new polyurethane bushing instead. They cost around 15£ each on ebay and they fit in like a glove. My main reason why I use polyurethane instead rubber bushing is polyurethane bushing are moving with the wishbone up and down. Rubber bushing are pain to align plus they will outlive the wishbone twice over.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021-140544.png
    Screenshot_20231021-140544.png
    968.4 KB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20231019_142336526~2.jpg
    PXL_20231019_142336526~2.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 89
The angle grinder is your friend here in order to modify the dimensions of the hexagon.
I assume that the manufacturing tooling has weared and thus give the wrong dimensions.

I think the real measurement needs to be taken from the middle of the hexagonal section as this is the operational running area of the bush & arm, the tip protrudes through when fitted.
Hopefully this helps
Keith
THESE REPLIES ARE FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTER (PUP) - HAD TO CHANGE MY USER NAME DUE TO EMAIL TYPO ON REGISTERING ETC.

Thanks for your reply Keith, the calipers are shown near the tips only for the photos, was just clearer to compare.
The measurement through the operational running area of the shaft is uniform on both wishbones.
.....Just different 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I bought the same MEYLE cast wishbomes and had the same problem. I managed to destroyed two heavy duty straps while pushing this new much thicker version trough the old bushing with everything in situ. At the end I took the console out and bought this new polyurethane bushing instead. They cost around 15£ each on ebay and they fit in like a glove. My main reason why I use polyurethane instead rubber bushing is polyurethane bushing are moving with the wishbone up and down. Rubber bushing are pain to align plus they will outlive the wishbone twice over.
Thanks bix, it's not just me then! Judging by what I've read on other posts 2 wreaked straps looks standard! 😅
Any drama removing the rubber bush and installing the polys? Quite happy with the handling results?

The angle grinder is your friend here in order to modify the dimensions of the hexagon.
I assume that the manufacturing tooling has weared and thus give the wrong dimensions.
Yep that's what I ended up doing
Yep I endeup smoothing it all around a bit you don't want any sharp edges pushing into bushing
Thanks bix, it's not just me then! Judging by what I've read on other posts 2 wreaked straps looks standard! 😅
Any drama removing the rubber bush and installing the polys? Quite happy with the handling results?
Removing the old 20 years old bushes was a bit of a surgery. I did try my bush puller tool first but no chance. Same like many other people here your only option is to drill as many holes around that rubber bush until you are able to break the middle part away. After that I cut with handle saw through metal casing of the bush two cuts 1cm apart but be very very careful not to start cutting into alumiuim console. When you cut through you can remove the piece from the ring and it'll release the tension and the rest just slides off.

After you remove the old bushing installing new poly's is literally 5 min job all in including new wishbone with then, if you have some bushing tool, vice or long F clamp. That red poly bushing from ebay will come with their own special grease and even youtube video how to install them. The main reason why you want them is they will rotate inside and basicaly self align into ideal position. Normal rubber bush with metal ring once you hammer it in they won't move and good luck alignem them on afterwards lol

Attachments

• PXL_20231005_185315090.jpg
    PXL_20231005_185315090.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 101
I have to do both wishbones on my FSi. NS is pressed, with a new ball joint, and OS is cast with a worn ball joint. Now I am worried i will have a different size shaft too. Probably will knowing my luck!!! Not attempting the job until the 800 Coupe is back on the road either. Clutch is now in the UK, and customs in Coventry....

I have to do both wishbones on my FSi. NS is pressed, with a new ball joint, and OS is cast with a worn ball joint. Now I am worried i will have a different size shaft too. Probably will knowing my luck!!! Not attempting the job until the 800 Coupe is back on the road either. Clutch is now in the UK, and customs in Coventry....
I have two identical A2s while I'm working on one the other is my backup and the money I saved for not going to garage, but do it all myself basicaly paid for both of the cars. Apparently some garages charge 700 for both wishbones lol Changing them is not that hard as it looks if you have the right tools and take your sweet time.

I have two identical A2s while I'm working on one the other is my backup and the money I saved for not going to garage, but do it all myself basicaly paid for both of the cars. Apparently some garages charge 700 for both wishbones lol Changing them is not that hard as it looks if you have the right tools and take your sweet time.
Yes, agreed. Doing stuff yourself does save serious money. And, you know there are no bits left over !!!!!

@Phil_B as you are correcting a very bad situation of mixed wishbones you have the choice of fitting a PAIR of cast or a PAIR of pressed wishbones. These must NEVER be a mixed pair of cast and pressed. Why?? Well Audi says so!!

P.S. the shafts should not be an issue.

@Phil_B as you are correcting a very bad situation of mixed wishbones you have the choice of fitting a PAIR of cast or a PAIR of pressed wishbones. These must NEVER be a mixed pair of cast and pressed. Why?? Well Audi says so!!

P.S. the shafts should not be an issue.
I still don't get why not to mix. The only thing i can think of is a difference in weight.

are the pressed steel and cast steel wishbones the same fit?
Generally yes, but after the drama I had with cast iron wishbones I bought pressed one for my second A2. The issue with cast iron wishbones are the thicknes of the bit you push trough the bushing. Cast iron wishbones tends to be thicker and bit of a challenge to push through rubber bush. It's not a problem if you use polyurethane bushes the plastic is more forgiving than rubber bush. But pressed wishbones can be replaced without taking out entire console and drilling out old bush you can just push them back in with either strap or long F clamp. After my experience fitting both types I would recommend to buy pressed wishbones. Lot easier to fit if your rubber bushes are still good.

How frustrating. Hope you get it sorted. I (or my garage) fitted Lemforder but I know it can now be difficult to source parts.

For those struggling to see the difference - both show measurements of 0875 - you need to click on the photos to zoom in. You will then see the Audi one is less wide - the calipers are not touching on both sides.
Are my eyes deceiving me or are there a different number of sides as well ?
The replacement looks like an Octagonal bar while the original is Hex !

Back