Concert 2

I'm looking into changing the Concert radio/cassette head unit currently installed in my 2001 (Y) A2 1.4 SE. I spoke to an Audi dealer today, and they said that the Concert 2 would be compatible (part # 8Z0057186D priced at £700!). I have been looking around this evening and found a Concert 2 for sale, and the part # is identical other than the D is replaced by FX. Does anybody know if there would be a connection issue with the 8Z0057186FX in the car? Thanks in advance.
 

Skipton01

Admin Team
That radio will be fine, as long as it's from a UK seller - sometimes you get a radio from abroad (USA won't work here) and the frequencies are different.

I've entered the partnumber into my ETOS and it just comes back with 'RADIO' - very helpfull.

By the way, you mean your Chorus radio/cassette don't you?

Cheers,

Mike
 
Thanks Mike. The one I've seen is from a UK seller.

It's definitely a Concert radio/cassette head unit installed in my car (have the manual in front of me), with the CD changer in the back. Incidentally, any idea if the CD changer still work with the Concert 2 (8Z0057186D or 8Z0057186FX)?
 

Skipton01

Admin Team
Ahhhh, right, you have the cd changer installed - that makes all the difference (well, at least to Audi - it was called the Chorus if no changer was fitted, or the COncert if there was a changer - go figure!).

Yes, it'll work with the new headunit as the plugs are the same, so best of luck with your bidding.

Cheers,

Mike
 

humps

A2OC Donor
If you have a 2001 car like mine (and I also have a Concer I unit), then you have to be careful with Concert II. It runs with CAN-BUS and probably will not work unless you rewire CAN-hi/lo from the instrument cluster. Or try the instructions from this article http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec86.shtml

Or repeat the CAN-BUS part of the Symphony I to Symphony II (or RNS-E) process from here http://www.nsxjr.com/downloads.html

Get an iPod (and ICE-Link) or use an aux adapter in place of the changer later. I don't think the concert II has much advantage apart from looking a whole lot more up-to-date without the cassette! I doubt the 'II' has dual RDS tunner so it will still skip when searching for an alternative frequency. In fact, i think when potential car thieves see the tape deck, they won't bother!
 
Thanks for the heads up humps. The Audi dealer I went to made no mention of any compatability issues with the Concert II, and certainly didn't say anything about CAN-BUS (or lack of).

I did want to get the Concert II and then use the Dension iPod link with this. That way, I'd have a CD, radio and iPod in the car. I suppose that I could get the Dension Gateway 400 as a solution for using the existing Concert radio/cassette, CD changer and an iPod.

Just in case you're interested, it seems that the difference between the 8Z0057186FX and 8Z0057186D model Concert II units is that the D supports steering wheel controls while the FX does not.
 

Skipton01

Admin Team
Concert2 does indeed run with CAN bus protocols, but it is compatible with non-CAN cars.

The main problem lies in a lack of illumination when you turn the sidelights on - the radio remains dark. There is a way around this though, by soldering a link on the mainboard and jointing it with the instrument pos.

It's no wonder that the dealers didn't know about the CAN issues - they probably don't even know about the existance of CAN or when it was introduced on the A2.

Cheers,

Mike
 

humps

A2OC Donor
agentmoulder said:
Thanks for the heads up humps. The Audi dealer I went to made no mention of any compatability issues with the Concert II, and certainly didn't say anything about CAN-BUS (or lack of).

I did want to get the Concert II and then use the Dension iPod link with this. That way, I'd have a CD, radio and iPod in the car. I suppose that I could get the Dension Gateway 400 as a solution for using the existing Concert radio/cassette, CD changer and an iPod.

Just in case you're interested, it seems that the difference between the 8Z0057186FX and 8Z0057186D model Concert II units is that the D supports steering wheel controls while the FX does not.

I have similar thoughts as well! I looked at the gateway 400 when it wasn't available on the market yet, now it can be had for £180. Add a new iPod, that's over £400. But then I guess it is still cheaper than Concert 2, ICE Link and new iPod. If you do go with the Concert 2, don't forget to tell us how you get on with the wiring, whichever way you wire it!
 
Humps - If I do buy the Concert 2 head unit, I'd think I'll have to find an experienced car audio electrician to do the necessary work. I don't have faith in myself to successfully complete the modding of the unit!

I did read in an old post that GrayB successfully used a CAN emulator to get the job done:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=24775#post24775

Perhaps GrayB can offer some assistance on this one?
 

GrayB

Member
The link above looks very like the one I bought, but not from the same person. I bought from an a guy who was making them himself I think. I then had a German colleague do the translation!

I defintely couldn't get the Concert to work on our car without it - it was more than just the illumination issue refered to above. It wouldn't accept it's security code...

With the emulator we bought it now works fine, except that the illumination doesn't work (so Skipton's advice above may be useful!) and the unit thinks the switched live isn't on, so it turns off after an hour. I have been meaning to address these issues for a while now!
 

humps

A2OC Donor
GrayB said:
The link above looks very like the one I bought, but not from the same person. I bought from an a guy who was making them himself I think. I then had a German colleague do the translation!

I defintely couldn't get the Concert to work on our car without it - it was more than just the illumination issue refered to above. It wouldn't accept it's security code...

With the emulator we bought it now works fine, except that the illumination doesn't work (so Skipton's advice above may be useful!) and the unit thinks the switched live isn't on, so it turns off after an hour. I have been meaning to address these issues for a while now!

Do you think you're going to try the re-wiring to get the CAN hi/lo from the instrument cluster?
 

GrayB

Member
humps said:
Do you think you're going to try the re-wiring to get the CAN hi/lo from the instrument cluster?
I'm afraid this is probably too technical for me! I am trying to get hold of my local ICE installer man to look at the problem...
 

humps

A2OC Donor
MikeTheSpike said:
Does the concert 2 fit a 2002 A2 or do I need a can-bus converter....

For a 2002 car, almost certainly no problem as it should have CAN wired already. What is your existing head unit?
 
None, I just bought the car and there was no radio/cd in it.....

I just purchased a concert II for 175 Euro (1 yr old) (from an A3 driver that puts in a nav instead).

Hope it works, otherwise an after market kit will come instead....
 

GrayB

Member
MikeTheSpike said:
None, I just bought the car and there was no radio/cd in it.....

I just purchased a concert II for 175 Euro (1 yr old) (from an A3 driver that puts in a nav instead).

Hope it works, otherwise an after market kit will come instead....
Will the A3 unit have the same size/shape face plate???
 
Top