Cruise Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart_D

Past Member
I am thinking about having cruise control fitted and wondered if it works effectively.

Has anyone had cruise control fitted to their A2 as an after sales accessory?

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

Stuart,

http://www.vehvac.com/

The link above is for a company that can supply and fit a cruise control system.
It is also the recommended installer for the Webasto Upgrade.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

To be honest, I'd probably only consider getting it fitted by AmD (http://www.auto-amd.co.uk/cruise.asp) as I can get 15% off through the A2OC and I have built up a good relationship with them over the past 12 months.

I'm doing a 3000 mile drive this summer so just wondered if it really is worth getting fitted - ie does it make for more economical driving & is the speed control accurate?

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest

I have the Audi Aftersales version which looks exactly like the AMD one.
It's a simple procedure, remove the steering wheel, remove the turning signal lever, install the new one, re-attach the wheel.
Connect the diagnostic computer and set CRUISE_CONTROL=1

I like it very much, although our small country is to crowded to use it often, but I turn it on whenever I get the change to !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Stuart,

Had cruise on my A6 and it worked well when the motorways were quiet.

I viewed it as a license saving measure ! I don't think it would make much difference on the economy, apart from the fact it limits your speed.

I thought about getting it on our new A2, but thought £298 was too much. This cost obviously bears no relation to the cost of the bits, since its just the price of the new stalk and then enabling the software !

Do you actually have to take the wheel off to change the stalk ? Thats the only thing stopping you buying the bit and doing it yourself.

Dave

1.6SE

quote:Originally posted by DaveS

Stuart,
Do you actually have to take the wheel off to change the stalk ? Thats the only thing stopping you buying the bit and doing it yourself.

Yes, the lever (or stalk ??) is attached to the steering house and it comes off towards the driver, where the steer is located. But the removal is quite easy !!

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Are you guys suggesting a DIY solution?!!
Surely there's a fair bit of wiring that needs to be done - I wouldn't even know where to start!

Stuart,

I think the loom is pre-wired - you just unplug the old stalk and plug in the new one ! Hard part is enabling it in the software - normally your local dealer will help you out with this.

Interesting to see how much dealer would charge for doing it (I guess it has to be more than the original option price of £298 or they will get lynched by Audi UK). Not sure what they would do if you supplied the bits yourself ...

1.6SE

Stuart,

won't the software you're looking to purchase do the switch on???

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

You're right...it will!
But in all honesty, I wasn't really considering fitting it myself as I may get some other things done on my visit to AmD.

You can get the same parts from a Skoda dealer but much much cheaper - there was a lot about this in the Dr Diesel section of Diesel Car recently - VAG parts are interchangable.

I wouldn't bother fitting one for rush hour work! Also it upps the fuel consumption by trying to maintain speed uphill etc... therefore not offered as an option on 1.2 TDI models

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

I notice a substantial drop in fuel use when I switch on the CruiseControl. Plus I lke the relaxed feeling !!!

Next week I'm going on a skiing trip and without a doubt the CruiseControl will be a big help !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Just out of interest,, just how do cruise controls work with manual cars.

My last car was a V6 with an automatic box and at say 50mph with the cruise on if I went up or down hill the gearbox would change gears to maintain speed,, how does this work with a manual,, is it just a case of more gas,, less gas,, or is there another way..

We had it fitted by our local garage it has saved us a lot of speeding tickets and in our A2 it works fine as soon as you toutch the brake or the speeding up thing on the right side*(what is the name in English)the cruise control goes of we have paid about 400 € for it and it is in the car now for about three month without any problems.
I do not know the make of it it is an extra button on the left side of the steering Audi can probaly do it in a superiour way but this is good enough for me
Jeff

quote:Originally posted by EF MAX

Just out of interest,, just how do cruise controls work with manual cars.

It regulates the throttle, that's all it can do. So it has to be in the correct gear to be able to maintain the speed. In my previous Vauxhall you could actually see the pedal moving, the A2's cruisecontrol is electronic so it doesn't do that.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I have always had cruise control in my cars for many years now, either manufacturer fit or DIY. I wouldn't be without it, it rests the right foot leaving you more relaxed after a long drive, and it certainly saves fuel on a motorway. I have often driven to Spain in one session and without cruise control, you hobble for a few minutes when you get out of the car with a twisted right foot. It will never save money if you take in to account capital cost, but then you would have bought a Trabant if that is a prime consideration, not an A2.

People have said it's just a case of remove the steering wheel and replace the stalk.

I'm dubious about DIY removal of the steering wheel due to the air bag. What are other peoples opinion on this?

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

It's fine if the roads are clear and you set it up for around 55 to 65 mph - then economy will be around optimum from an aerodynamics point of view. However, hills do make a difference and that's why the 1.2 TDI doesn't have the option cause it's designed to freewheel where ever possible. CC is only relaxing if it's not rush hour with idiots cutting u up and braking in front of you - anticipation is the key to relaxed and economic driving.....

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk20.htm

Hi.

It's not posible to add original cruise control to a 1,2 TDI because off the special gearboxsystem. But someone made special cruisecontrol to the engine in the Lupo and A2. My friend has the system installed in his Lupo 1,2 tdi and is very certisfied.

Jesper Lindholdt
Audi A2 TDI 3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back