Difficult gear changing

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I've read the threads on stiff gear changing and these didn't answer my question, or perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?

My A2 has clocked about 130K, has been owned form new and has changed gear cleanly until recently. I have changed the gearbox oil which reduced noise but made no difference to the gear change.

I am beginning to think that the connecting cables are worn and need replacement. Anybody experienced this on a car that has changed well for years and what was the fix? Thank you.

Your cables might need some adjustment, worth to try.

Attachments

• A2 removal shift knob.pdf
    149.3 KB · Views: 767
  • A2 Gearshift adjustment (1).pdf
    141.3 KB · Views: 667
Additionally the cables themselves may need lubrication. Mine was done recently by Tony and it made a huge difference to the feel of the gearchange (he did the adjustment at the same time).

Thanks for the comments, the problem is quite variable, changes with the weather, so I think you are right cable lubrication and adjustment. Can be very difficult around town and therefore dangerous. I need to get this fixed.

Could anybody advise if this task is covered on the forum and if so point me in the right direction? Thank you

Thanks for the comments, the problem is quite variable, changes with the weather, so I think you are right cable lubrication and adjustment. Can be very difficult around town and therefore dangerous. I need to get this fixed.

Could anybody advise if this task is covered on the forum and if so point me in the right direction? Thank you

Hi,

this link may help regarding the adjustment.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13062-Gearchange-cable-adjust-reset

Steve B

Hello, I just wanted to add something which might be worth perusing. I too have the same issue (my TDI has done 110k) so I read the threads on here about recalibrating the gear change cables. I carried out the procedure but it didn't help and I also lubricated the cables but only by injecting oil into there the cables link onto the gear box. Anyway here is something I haven't seem mention. Look at the gear stick area itself, pull out the aluminium ring and lift the gear stick gaiter out of the way and under this there is a rubber shield like a secondary gaiter. Mine was all perished and bits of the rubber had fallen into the sort of ball and socket joint. The rubber was jamming the gear change and it it is all cleaned out it really helped mine.

Hello, I just wanted to add something which might be worth perusing. I too have the same issue (my TDI has done 110k) so I read the threads on here about recalibrating the gear change cables. I carried out the procedure but it didn't help and I also lubricated the cables but only by injecting oil into there the cables link onto the gear box. Anyway here is something I haven't seem mention. Look at the gear stick area itself, pull out the aluminium ring and lift the gear stick gaiter out of the way and under this there is a rubber shield like a secondary gaiter. Mine was all perished and bits of the rubber had fallen into the sort of ball and socket joint. The rubber was jamming the gear change and it it is all cleaned out it really helped mine.

Did you figure out how to remove the second shield? Mines got a hole in and the bits are going through it but i can't seem to get it offer to clean it out underneath.

kind regards

tom.

There is a clip in each corner - use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip 'ears' together and gently push down which should release it. Re-engaging the clips is more tricky - you need to deform the gaiter with your finger to hold the underside plate up whilst pushing the gaiter plate down.

Simon.

There is a clip in each corner - use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip 'ears' together and gently push down which should release it. Re-engaging the clips is more tricky - you need to deform the gaiter with your finger to hold the underside plate up whilst pushing the gaiter plate down.

Simon.

Thanks for the fast reply SCO,

The part that herman listed the secondary gaiter its completely perished on mine and theres a hole on it and bits from it are falling in the ball and socket joint underneath so its all got to come out to be cleaned. Anyone know what this part is called? Shall i post it in the "servicing" forum?

Also anyone know how to take the ball and socket joint out as we think some of the bits have fallen in the joint. it looks like it can come out but the bar off it goes into something and we not sure how to get that off/move it out the way.

IMG_20151114_132902.jpg

IMG_20151114_132854.jpgIMG_20151114_132857.jpgIMG_20151114_132911.jpg

thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi,

When I had gear selection issues a while ago, I found this thread over at TDI Club very informative. It lists a few known weakness of the 02J shift mechanism and how to repair them.

Moderators, I'm not sure if links to other forums are allowed, so please just remove my post if not. Thank you.

Regards,

Matt.

Links that offer help and where they break no copyright or document / member protection are fine.

Steve B

Excellent, thank you both for the clarification.

I know some forums don't link posting links to other forums, so I thought I'd stay on the side of caution.

PS. Congratulations on your award.

Thank you, Spike! :)

Regards,

Matt.

I have recently had the Gear spindle changed AND the gear cables replaced (£460), but 5th gear is still really sluggish to get in and out of gear. The only thing left that I can think of is the ball and socket at the bottom of the gear stick, the inner rubber gaitor is showing signs of disintegrating, so maybe there is some bits of rubber fouling the socket?
Can you dismantle this section to give it a good clean out and lube? it appears to have a weird jelly type lubricant on it at the moment, I just want 5th gear the same as all the others, nice and easy to go in and out of without pushing and pulling at it like a heavy handed mechanic......any ideas?
For the record, the spindle was shot to pieces and the cable was VERY difficult to move compared to new ones.

If its worn like you say, id try and get a replacement, but first I would suggest checking the cables route and changing the gear oil, especially as you say youv already replaced the cables and spindal, I found my own A2 very tight changing gears and it was mainly down to the cables route from the gearbox to under the car and after moving these slightly it became less stiff, after i drained the gearbox oil, only 1.5lt came out so it had lost some over 100,000 miles and replaced with 2lt of new oil it was back to easy gearchanges with no stiffness at all, plus a slight whining noise had vanished too..

Hi Spike, and JIGSAW, first off, yes I've done the adjustment to the cables, got all four gears nice and straight and where they should be, but 5th seems so damned heavy to push in and out, almost like its going through shag pile carpet! The new cables and spindle didn't cure this, but they were goosed so it was only going to be a matter of time I think. I'm thinking of changing the gearbox oil asap because its on 113,000 now and no history of it having being changed. Its only 5th that is the problem so wondering if it is something stopping it from going over to the full right that is causing the sluggishness?
For the record, this is by far the best forum site I have EVER dealt with, thank you folks.

Was it easy to remove the ball and socket Herman? I can get to the top by removing gaiter and failing inner cover, but don't know how to open the whole lot up inside to clean it out and lube it....any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

HI Spike, I must have missed your post somehow.......yes I have re set the cables, much easier in and out of all gears except 5th......:mad:
It must be something simple....surely?

Last edited:
Back