Double-DIN dash?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
How much would you expect a breaker to charge for a double-DIN dash these days?
I assume they're likely to want to sell it complete with the airbag etc?

Not that I'm considering a double-DIN dash mod of course.

Look, you really don't need the whole dash .... I know! Just that "special" cage will do! ( and it doesn't have a part number!) I reckon that it might have been possible to fabricate your own cage, even! You don't see many dash's coming up for sale ..... I think that £100-£150 would be the order of the day!

David

Yeah but how often have we seen the cages come up separately to the dash?!
I don't have the tools, materials, or indeed the skill, to fabricate custom metalwork...

One came up just recently! No big deal to make a cage .... you start with the RNS-e and you know that you've got to surround it .... so you've already got the dimensions! Then, that very cage has got to be retained in your (modified) single-DIN dash. Obviously, a bit of "head-scratching", but I'm sure that you could do it!

David

the easiest is to offer the breakers £50 for a double din dash which had the air bag blown and rip out the cage.

What are the chances of finding an air-con panel for the lower dash slot that has the heated seat controls built in though :(

I keep thinking to myself that this will could be my mod of 2012 - double-DIN dash and RNS-E, but then I keep thinking it's too much to do.

Nigh on impossible, I did it by buying an A3 climate panel with heated seats and swapping the inners with my A2 panel and trimming it down to size.

Attachments

• heatedseatcontrols.jpg
    heatedseatcontrols.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 473
  • newaircon.jpg
    newaircon.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 530
  • oldaircon.jpg
    oldaircon.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
What did you trim the edges down with? I guess I could use the existing air-con panel I have then as that already has the heated seat controls, or are they fundamentally different size-wise?

Well yes I don't see any reason why you can't trim your existing climate down, I just used a hacksaw for the main cuts and then a hand plane to get smooth edges. Where corners were needed I used a flat file, rough then smooth.

I guess I could use the existing air-con panel I have then as that already has the heated seat controls

Hi Dan,

That's what I did with mine.

I was lucky enough to source a climate panel with heated seat controls, but from a single DIN dash layout (square corners).
I stripped down my double DIN climate panel and the new one so I had both fascia’s on there own without any buttons.
I then made a template of my original double DIN fascia to get the correct curve out of normal A4 copier paper.
Transferred the template to the new single DIN panel and marked the area I needed to remove.
I cut the basic shape with a fine toothed hacksaw and then used a grinding wheel to remove the rest and refine.
Finally I used fine grit wet & dry to clean the edges and make it look reasonable.

You’ll find some pictures of the climate panel fitted, but without the heated seat thumb wheels in my profile pictures.
It’s not a difficult task to obtain good results if you take a little time, and I'd say the most challenging thing is making the first cut on a perfectly good climate panel. :eek:

Cheers

Jeff

Sorry to jump in like this, but I have been reading about single and double DIN and cannot find anywhere that explains what this means. As you can probably guess I am very new to this but also extremely eager to start fiddling....with my latest purchase! Currently I have the original cassette hifi in a box - its about 4 inches tall - which has been replaced by a pioneer clip in system with radio/CD/bluetooth and want to change this for an AUDI RNS-E system (again, slightly mystified as to whether or not this has in-built ability for hands free via bluetooth but that's for another thread). Could someone just clarify the DIN thing for me? Thanks!!!

Basically Double-DIN refers to the size (depth) of the stereo unit, in that a double-DIN is twice as deep as a single-DIN unit. It's physically larger.
This picture of Mustang Owner's car shows you what a Double-DIN dash looks like with the RNS-E unit installed.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/album.php?albumid=347&attachmentid=9632

You can see that in order to accommodate the double-depth of the RNS-E unit, the climate control panel is down in the bottom of the central console.
If you have a single-DIN stereo (which is the sort of standard-depth size of most head units to be honest), the climate panel is in the middle and then below this is a cubby-hole storage box thing.
This picture shows that
http://images02.olx.fr/ui/1/35/85/41193085_5.jpg

Note that most aftermarket head units need some form of fascia adapter to allow them to fit into the Audi DIN size - I believe the standard Audi DIN is slightly wider.

Last edited:
Sorry to jump in like this, but I have been reading about single and double DIN and cannot find anywhere that explains what this means. As you can probably guess I am very new to this but also extremely eager to start fiddling....with my latest purchase! Currently I have the original cassette hifi in a box - its about 4 inches tall - which has been replaced by a pioneer clip in system with radio/CD/bluetooth and want to change this for an AUDI RNS-E system (again, slightly mystified as to whether or not this has in-built ability for hands free via bluetooth but that's for another thread). Could someone just clarify the DIN thing for me? Thanks!!!

As you'll have gathered, there are two centre console designs: single-DIN and double-DIN.
* The single-DIN layout has the stereo at the top, under the cup holders, then the climate control panel underneath, then a storage cubby. All three items are roughly of the same height.
* The double-DIN layout has a much larger stereo under the cup holders, then the climate control panel underneath. The climate control panel has to be mounted at the very bottom of the centre console, where the storage cubby is located in the single-DIN layout, in order to make space for the larger stereo. The double-DIN layout does not have the storage cubby at all.

RNS-E requires the double-DIN layout.

If your car was originally shipped with an Audi Chorus or Concert stereo, then it has a single-DIN dash. If it was shipped with a Symphony stereo, then it's got a double-DIN dash.

I hope that all makes sense and allows you to establish which you've got.

Tom

EDIT: Dan beat me to it! :p

Thanks guys - both of you! Seems that I must have the double Din as the original radio that I have in a box is the Symphony. Just out of interest was this a good sounding system??

Thanks guys - both of you! Seems that I must have the double Din as the original radio that I have in a box is the Symphony. Just out of interest was this a good sounding system??

Excellent, it appears you have the layout required for adding RNS-E.
Yes, the Symphony unit is decent. I'd certainly use it before any aftermarket radio as it's got a reasonable DAC and amp and I like to keep the dash looking OEM. That said, I'm not fussed about Bluetooth, voice-controlled, mind-reading, NASA mission-controlling SatNav. :p

Back