Bluebeard

Hi all,

As a long time member of the Dutch forum I went ahead and made an account here and payed for the upgrade. So introductions, introductions. Here goes:

Being from an EU country, mine is a left hand drive 2004 Yellow Color Storm 1.4 BBY. We've been together since early 2018 and I am it's second owner. It being one of, I beleive, only 16 Yellow Colour-Storms that where originally delevered to the Dutch market. After 195k in Km on the cluster my little BBY still uses no oil and purrs like a kitten. I've crossed Germany multiple times and Autobahn'ed it to about 190km/h or, for all you non metrics, 118 MPH. According to specs it should do only 172/107. Mind you, this was flat-out and for long stretches (Yes, I did sparkplugs, oil, filters etc before the run, Yes I filled up with German EURO 102, No I didn't remove the back seats nor the passenger or luggage). Normally I quite like to abide by the speed limits but hey: how many times do you have the opportunity to play Kraftwerk as it should? I use Wynns injector cleaner about fout to six times each year, rev it when it's hot and tenderly stroke it's cluster panel daily.

I ty to keep it as stock as possible and do most repairs in house and service it myself. So far I have:
  • upgraded jackpoints
  • installed heated mirrors (non OEM, work like a treat)
  • installed 16" style
  • installed original spare wheel plus battery bracket
  • replaced light switch (years of visiting breakers looking for them. One day I found two)
  • replaced front lower grille (after birdstrike)
  • replaced air vent
  • drilled holes in the spoiler
  • headlight restauration
  • foglight restauration
  • repaired blinker relay (small hands needed)
  • washer fluid pump replacement (after repair 2 months earlier)
  • new battery, Belt/pump, windshield wiper, tyres, oil, plugs, gas struts, underbody spray, filters, carpets etc. All that good stuff.
2023-2024 to do list:
  • Concert 2 upgrade
  • full suspension upgrade to Koni Special Active. Also bushes.
  • paint corrections
  • replace fuel filter, clean tank if needed.
  • clean EGR
  • belt/pump
So let me finish with some pictures and the same question I asked when joining the Dutch forum: What neat car did your parents own when you were young? We used to own a Blue Bedford van, an '80's mustang and a Citroen CX 2500 Turbo.

Cheers!

A2 bud.jpg
IMG-20211023-WA0003.jpg
A2 190 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Your dad's from a small planet near Betlegeuse I presume? I've never seen one irl
'Nicely inconspicuous' was the phrase I believe :) Welcome aboard! I owned an Imola Yellow TDI for a few years too, before upgrading to an even nicer FSI. We had a Renault 16 and a Fiat 127 when I was young (I learned to drive on the Fiat but had previously driven the Renault round an empty field on one occasion). There's two cars you never ever see any more, even at classic shows.

@PlasticMac, if you didn't know, the Betelgeuse reference comes from the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, one of the main characters is from there and is named after your Dad's car. It was cult stuff while I was at secondary school! I stored a later 100E Prefect in my garage for a friend for several years. The hydraulic clutch fluid leaked all over my garage floor and I can still see the stain :rolleyes:

'Nicely inconspicuous' was the phrase I believe :) Welcome aboard! I owned an Imola Yellow TDI for a few years too, before upgrading to an even nicer FSI. We had a Renault 16 and a Fiat 127 when I was young (I learned to drive on the Fiat but had previously driven the Renault round an empty field on one occasion). There's two cars you never ever see any more, even at classic shows.

@PlasticMac, if you didn't know, the Betelgeuse reference comes from the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, one of the main characters is named after your Dad's car. It was cult stuff while I was at secondary school! I stored a later 100E Prefect in my garage for a friend for several years. The hydraulic clutch fluid leaked all over my garage floor and I can still see the stain :rolleyes:
Ha, no not a Hitch Hikers Guide fan. Do remember Beetlejuice from '98, though.
Mac.

Hi all,

As a long time member of the Dutch forum I went ahead and made an account here and payed for the upgrade. So introductions, introductions. Here goes:

Being from an EU country, mine is a left hand drive 2004 Yellow Color Storm 1.4 BBY. We've been together since early 2018 and I am it's second owner. It being one of, I beleive, only 16 Yellow Colour-Storms that where originally delevered to the Dutch market. After 195k in Km on the cluster my little BBY still uses no oil and purrs like a kitten. I've crossed Germany multiple times and Autobahn'ed it to about 190km/h or, for all you non metrics, 118 MPH. According to specs it should do only 172/107. Mind you, this was flat-out and for long stretches (Yes, I did sparkplugs, oil, filters etc before the run, Yes I filled up with German EURO 102, No I didn't remove the back seats nor the passenger or luggage). Normally I quite like to abide by the speed limits but hey: how many times do you have the opportunity to play Kraftwerk as it should? I use Wynns injector cleaner about fout to six times each year, rev it when it's hot and tenderly stroke it's cluster panel daily.

I ty to keep it as stock as possible and do most repairs in house and service it myself. So far I have:
  • upgraded jackpoints
  • installed heated mirrors (non OEM, work like a treat)
  • installed 16" style
  • installed original spare wheel plus battery bracket
  • replaced light switch (years of visiting breakers looking for them. One day I found two)
  • replaced front lower grille (after birdstrike)
  • replaced air vent
  • drilled holes in the spoiler
  • headlight restauration
  • foglight restauration
  • repaired blinker relay (small hands needed)
  • washer fluid pump replacement (after repair 2 months earlier)
  • new battery, Belt/pump, windshield wiper, tyres, oil, plugs, gas struts, underbody spray, filters, carpets etc. All that good stuff.
2023-2024 to do list:
  • Concert 2 upgrade
  • full suspension upgrade to Koni Special Active. Also bushes.
  • paint corrections
  • replace fuel filter, clean tank if needed.
  • clean EGR
  • belt/pump
So let me finish with some pictures and the same question I asked when joining the Dutch forum: What neat car did your parents own when you were young? We used to own a Blue Bedford van, an '80's mustang and a Citroen CX 2500 Turbo.

Cheers!

View attachment 110035View attachment 110036View attachment 110037
The ‘Yellow’, is really nice colour on the A2…. liked your ’bird strike‘ quip. Had many of those in the past😳

Wholesome! Lovely cars they are. I bet it has gotten a lot slower since you grew up :) What's the story behind the change of numberplates? Did they just add a character because they ran out?
Dutch car builder Donkervoort is still building cars that are remotely based upon the 7 but slightly faster: https://www.donkervoort.com

Last edited:
Wholesome! Lovely cars they are. I bet it has gotten a lot slower since you grew up :) What's the story behind the change of numberplates? Did they just add a character because they ran out?
Dutch car builder Donkervoort is still building cars that are remotely based upon the 7 but slightly faster: https://www.donkervoort.com/nl/
Dutch car builder Donkervoort is still building cars that are remotely based upon the 7 but slightly faster: https://www.donkervoort.com/nl/
I suspect the 1 fell off.
Mac.

Dutch car builder Donkervoort is still building cars that are remotely based upon the 7 but slightly faster: https://www.donkervoort.com
And yes,
I suspect the 1 fell off.
Mac.
Probably the case Mac. She certainly wasn’t as pampered in those days.

And yes, in my mind it was terrifyingly fast and load as a three year old.

By modern standards it’s not quick but I’ve never got the same level of feel or enjoyment from driving any other car. Just back yesterday from driving her down to classic Le Mans and back. As ever, she didn’t disappoint in terms of smiles

You mean Dad financed the new paint and fenders by not having to pay his tickets?
There’s not a micron of paint on the car with exception of the badge. It’s polished aluminium.

Unfortunately, many of the panels had to be changed in 2017 after my mother managed to roll it, having lost the back end exiting a roundabout and hitting some diesel.

Back