DVD player unit with Bluetooth???

dgorie

I am new here so hello!

I have looked around the forum however can't see any similar topic so here goes...

I am looking to retrofit GPS (RNS-E) into my car. I am going to go for the old sub 2010 version and want to add a DVD player in the glovebox. Are there any DVD players out there (without monitor) that also include bluetooth? That way I could connect my iphone to my unit too. I have seen hundreds with monitors but none without. :confused:

Thanks a million!

Dave

PS if anyone out there works for an electronics firm a glove box DVD player with DAB and Bluetooth and no monitor would be a great invention! :cool:

Another quick addition

If there is no unit with both DVD and Bluetooth - I've been looking for ages, can anyone recommend a good in car DVD unit for my glovebox? I guess I could run that with a Bluetooth music receiver (such as the Belkin one) that also connects via the aux?

Thanks again!

Link to Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13562536/Belkin-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/Product.html?_$ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:13562536%7Cprd:13562536&source=9593&_$ja=tsid:11853%7Cprd:78888&awc=1418_1363538329_598372a492661d6193b50639cb1c71cd

You may want to see my post about RNS-E alternative double DIN units. I fitted a double DIN navigation with speed camera alerts, 2013 maps, bluetooth, DVD, Aux, Ipod, radio, DVD player, SD card slots, rear camera inputs, video outputs etc to my GF's civic, but I'm pretty sure it would work well in the A2.

Thanks, that does look good and has a lot of functionality! However I kinda want it to be OEM looking and don't mind having a blue tooth connector in the glove box.

That said I was wondering whether I could fit a unit (such as the ebay one you mention in your other post - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21654-Alternative-Double-DIN-navigation) into the glove box and just ignore the second screen in there (or use it as a private passenger view one). Some of the actual DVD players I have been looking at cost about the same anyway and don't have bluetooth or DAB/DAB+. I presume as you can run rear seat monitors of some of these units they have the media out function?

Has anyone tried this (RNS-E Nav unit connected to another unit in glovebox instead of DVD player)? Or would it be a case of too many radios spoil the Audi?

Thanks!

OK, so RNS-E is your preferred solution, the A2's glovebox is really not suited to mounting anything large such as a double DIN unit. There are some very slim single DVD units that would mount in the roof of glovebox but it would be very tight. The A2DP receiver can be mounted anywhere and fed through the RNS-E aux.

Would you want a 2010 RNS-E PU unit with LED screen or the mk1 unit. You cannot enable TV in motion in the PU unit, but you could put a switch on speed signal pin to enable TV in motion. The MK1 units can be programmed for TV in motion.

You would need a video input device to connect your DVD player into the RNS-E, a typical bundle of DVD player and video device would be around £300

Last edited:
Thanks again for your swift reply Craig. Im not to fussed between the newer and older RNS-E (older one is cheaper and plays on the go). Is the quality of display really that much different? Is it worth the extra £200 the newer ones seem to go for?

I was thinking of mounting the radio in or under the passenger dash (as I won't be fiddling with it whilst driving and most have a remote). One particular model (from dinosaur website http://www.dinodirect.com/car-dvd-av-receiver-multicd-dab-control-high-power.html) seems to have DAB (although not in description so prob not), DVD and Bluetooth and is single DIN. Although I have never heard of this company this has AV out and is cheaper than the players I was looking for.

Are there any DVD players you can actually control through the RNS-E? That might be cause to reconsider?

Does anyone know of any other single DIN (DVD, Bluetooth and DAB/DAB+)? The only real one I can find is the double DIN pioneer and that would be too big.

Thanks again

I have a spare RNS-E for sale...

I've recently bought a FISCON Bluetooth unit to add all that functionality

Wow that FISCON looks great! However it is at €299 almost the same as some single DIN radio's Ive been looking at (which should appear when the moderator approves my posts), however I appreciate the ease of access via the RNS-E. Tricky call...

The FISCON although it has A2DP streaming, it is only mono and very poor quality from what I have been told.

Hmmm I wrote a post yesterday but it had a link in it and it hasn't been approved yet so here is a second go (without links).

What is the main difference between the 2010 and sub 2010 RNS-E unit? Will I see a huge difference between the screen? Is it much faster? I am aware that VIM function is best on the first version (sub 2010)... What are everyones opinions? Worth the extra?

Also I have found a few single Din radios (such as a 3.5" Motorised bluetooth single DIN DVD Player) that have bluetooth and a DVD player with a tiny screen on the front of the single DIN unit (i.e. not a giant slide out screen). Although it would be tight I was considering something like this for the glove box, or sneakily suspended under glove box, over a DVD standalone player with an additional bluetooth adaptor? Anyone tried anything like this? I'm presuming it has AV out and I could connect sound through an aux cable? Any good ideas for other similar units?

Thanks again for the input and help - I very much appreciate it!

Maybe I'm totally missing the point here, but you can get a Bluetooth receiver as a car speaker phone that also works as an FM transmitter. The plus is that obviously you can then transmit both voice calls and music over the car stereo. I've got a jabra cruiser 2 that does the job perfectly. It is of the type that clips onto the sun visor. I can confirm that despite the A2's teeny and thin sun visors, the clip still works well and it doesn't hinder the function of it either.
Hope that helps, but most of the tech answers in this thread went way over my head so perhaps I'm on a different tangeant!
Jon

Oh and I meant to mention, you can pick one up for less than £40 delivered and there's no need to have it taking up any room in the glove box or fag lighter, plus (allegedly) the battery lasts around a month and it comes with a USB charger that fits into the fag lighter too, for when it does need charging. A cheap and relatively elegant solution to your Bluetooth query at least, sorry I can't assist with the DVD question, but personally I think tablets and digital (non disc based) media is more modern and useful. On that note, you can use the fag lighter USB slot that comes with the jabra to charge the tablet when needed too, as it outputs 5V - the same as most tablets use from their own chargers.

I actually used to own a Jabra FM device and I found it really patchy... no matter where I set the frequency (it speaks out the frequency) I could never get it to stay tuned on long journeys. Plus you have to charge it with your cigarette lighter every so often. They are great for hire cars without aux however!

Back