ESP ABS problem

Mike.M

A2OC Donor
Can anyone advise, please!

Last night, I begin to drive when after a few miles the ESP and ABS warnings lit up, a brake warning light begins to flash when with a few long loud beeps.
I stopped the car and checked the fluid level - it was full. Checked the brakes, pressing hard a few times - no noticeable difference from normal.

Some 30 Miles from home and very late at night I decided to take a chance and try to crawl home, frequently testing the brakes.
With no noticeable adverse effect I gradually increased the speed until, approaching home on an empty road I tried 60 mph with nothing to indicate of any malfunction.

This morning I checked under the bonnet, fluid the same as last night and no other indication of any malfunction.
Could not check under the wheel arches as it started raining, will try tomorrow but with a mate following, I pushed it up to 70 mph on the near dual carriageway with, again no ill effects of any kind.

Before I take it to the stealers, can any one suggest a less expensive alternative.
A mate suggested an electrical fault, something got disconnected???

Cheers
Mike

I've had this a few times now, mine goes into limp mode. Stop car, ignition off/ back on and 8 times out off 10 away I go with no problems. Even scanned ECU but shows nothing. Only seems to happen first thing in a morning when its cold and I've pulled off the drive.

I know in VCDS there's a section you can monitor to see if the ABS sensors are working. I might check again, as last year I had to splice into the existing driver side harness with a new one (in the engine bay) as my tyre cut straight through the existing harness.

Not much help but your not alone. Will keep an eye on your thread as I to would like to know what could be the cause.

sinlessUK

Last edited:
Get someone to stand behind the car and operate the brakes with the ignition on.

If the brake switch is faulty you will get symptoms similar to this.

Steve B

I know this sounds bizzare but these symptoms present themselves when the injector wiring harness is breaking down. Try searching on here, there are lots of threads. Its about £70 for the part from the dealer and can be done by the DIY mechanic. I had this issue last year on one of my TDI's.

I know this sounds bizzare but these symptoms present themselves when the injector wiring harness is breaking down. Try searching on here, there are lots of threads. Its about £70 for the part from the dealer and can be done by the DIY mechanic. I had this issue last year on one of my TDI's.

Hi Steve,

yes that may apply to Sinless' problem but Mike said that the car drives normally without any symptoms or "limp mode".
I think we have two separate problems on this thread, one with limp mode and one without, so potentially different causes.

Steve B

Hi Sinless,

I think that Steve thought you had a Tdi, without any indication on your signature it is not always possible to know what type of A2 you have.

I had a look at your profile and you have a FSI and so this issue that Steve mentioned related to the tdi wiring harness for the diesel injectors.

I have seen some very dubious wiring repairs to the fSI injector harness so it is not impossible that this could be the cause too, but a VCDS scan is the best way to determine the possible cause for your symptoms.

Steve B

The combined ABS and ESP lamps can mean many things but I had something similar which turned out to be a faulty yaw sensor. It's a while ago but seem to recall it happened most in cold weather combined with slow speed manouvering - turning on a slope was worst. This eventually triggered a fault code.

If this turns out to be your problem, this may help with the repair - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...lt-lights-Yaw-rate-sensor&p=133080#post133080

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Another thing that can cause these lights to come on is an uncalibrated throttle body. I recently had this problem after cleaning the throttle body and not calibrating properly afterwards. But my car would only trigger this when warm and coming down to idle.

The combined ABS and ESP lamps can mean many things but I had something similar which turned out to be a faulty yaw sensor. It's a while ago but seem to recall it happened most in cold weather combined with slow speed manouvering - turning on a slope was worst. This eventually triggered a fault code.

If this turns out to be your problem, this may help with the repair - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...lt-lights-Yaw-rate-sensor&p=133080#post133080

Cheers Spike

This appears to be quite different: The two lights ABS and ESP come on as soon as the key is turned in the ignition and stay there.

Only when I start moving does the brake warning lite starts flashing and the beeps come on for only a few seconds but the other lights stay on until the ignition is turned off.

cheers
Mike

Have a look at the 'ABS Speed Sensor Wiring Harness' to see if the tyre has caught it. An ECU scan might show something.

I'm different according to other members but I know that :mad:) I'm off to read spikes suggestion.

Last edited:
Back