Ex-BMW addict buys A2

Modecorp

A2OC Donor
Hi all.

I’ve just bought a 2004 1.4SE petrol in Dolphin Grey with 117k miles on the clock. Not done a full VIN check yet, but was supplied new with what can only be described as an amazing Bose hifi system (at least it sounded that way on the way home!).

I bought the car because I’ve spent the last 10 years running BMW 3.0 cars including a few M’s and wanted something a) cheaper, b) ULEZ and c) quirky. The A2 ticked all the boxes and I‘ve loved them ever since I first saw them at launch - the first was in a glass box at Canary Wharf station, stunning the passing city boy trade.

The A2 is approx 190bhp less powerful than the outgoing car it replaces, but thats cool too as I really wanted to relax with a new project. She needs a few things doing to her - all jobs on the list and whcih I’m sure I’ll find great help and advice on here.

- Drivers door check strap fix or replacement
- Cupholders don’t stay sprung in
- Due a cambelt, tensioner and waterpump as this was last done in 2018/97k miles
- Two new rear tyres in a month or two
- Detail the bodywork - generally good condition, just a few imperfections
- Fix drivers side window and mirror switches as they don't currently operate passenger side window going down (it works going up?!), or mirror.
- Wetvax the interior cream cloth seats.
- General health check of bushes etc - but the 60 mile journey home felt okay
- Setup an Autodoc link for parts
- Get myself a VW/Audi diagnostic/reset tool (recommendations on ones that are available to buy, gratefully received)

Anything else should I be checking/upgrading/changing first off?

Luckily I live around 20 mins from 4rings which seems to be a good place for major work if needed.

There’s probably more but I’ve only owned the car 5 hours, so that will do for now!

Attachments

• s-l1600-0.jpeg
    s-l1600-0.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Welcome - a couple of us (@simufly and myself) are also fans of straight six BMWs - in our case the E9 coupes.

I find the A2 a worthy but ultimately far more practical for normal use alternative toy - especially in a remapped 90 with some additional performance modifications :)

Thanks for the welcome. E9’s…you guys must be dedicated. I only ever went as far back as E30 with a 325i vert a few years back. That was plenty in terms of remedial work 😄

And after some minor digging on here it seems the 1.4 petrol isn't very tunable :)

Hi and welcome.

Here is my list of required items for all A2 owners...

At LEAST 2 fully working keys.

A good electrical test meter.

The owners manuals as that contains most of the questions you have.

VCDS diagnostic software. Runs on a laptop and is not power hungry, although in most cases a USB port is required to connect the lead between computer and OBD2 port on the car. Check the Ross tech web site as VCDS comes in a few versions ( and prices ) The entry level VCDS Lite works fine on the A2 and is FREE to download from Ross Tech, you would then need either a cheap KKL lead from ebay or the better quality lead from Gendan. Out of the box Lite is limited to only detail describing the first fault but with a little work the rest of the codes can be worked out from the Ross Tech Wiki site. You can pay a fee and register the Lite for a bit more functionality OR you can go full fat VCDS with one of their other versions. Note that these other versions come in three types a 3 VIN version, a 10 VIN version and an unlimited VIN version. It is also possible to upgrade through the VIN versions for a price.

Forget about tuning the car and enjoy it for exactly what it is. A small limousine with high quality.

P.S. If not done so already upgrade your account by paying the £2 fee to allow access to Market where you can buy parts or place wanted adverts.

If you're an experienced DIY man and the 1.4 petrol is too slow then (assuming diesels are out due to your location), I'd humbly suggest picking up a good FSI - much more entertaining a drive if power (to weight ratio) is your thing!

They were often spec'd up a little more too I've noticed from the ones that come up for sale.

If you're an experienced DIY man and the 1.4 petrol is too slow then (assuming diesels are out due to your location), I'd humbly suggest picking up a good FSI - much more entertaining a drive if power (to weight ratio) is your thing!

They were often spec'd up a little more too I've noticed from the ones that come up for sale.
I’ve only had this one for a few hours 😂

You’re in good company. I’m currently selling this to fund my A2

fd859340cb301cc54baf86fb87fd7a66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome.

re door check strap. The were some issues with the door straining the body and causing cracks but the more common issue is the plastic roller bearings failing creating a groaning noise when opening and closing . Member Paul @depronman does a refurbished check strap with metal rollers,

The 2004 models have pressed steel wishbones and these corrode from the inside and have been known to fail catastrophically even though the vehicle had passed an MOT recently. So best check thoroughly. Many of us have replaced the pressed steel arms with the earlier cast arms though they do not have a replacable ball joint.

Welcome along, if you need any parts there’s me, @Clackers and @Ami who can help out.

There’s always the option of sticking a bigger engine in there

Thanks for the welcoming messages. Its good to find an active forum as sometimes it can be a roll of dice in terms of activity (see exhibit: z3roadster.net). I’ll be sure to check all those things and anf am sure I’ll also be speaking to a few of you for parts, noob questions and advice 👍🏼

Welcome.

re door check strap. The were some issues with the door straining the body and causing cracks but the more common issue is the plastic roller bearings failing creating a groaning noise when opening and closing . Member Paul @depronman does a refurbished check strap with metal rollers,

The 2004 models have pressed steel wishbones and these corrode from the inside and have been known to fail catastrophically even though the vehicle had passed an MOT recently. So best check thoroughly. Many of us have replaced the pressed steel arms with the earlier cast arms though they do not have a replacable ball joint.
Thanks. Just dropped Paul a line on the checkstrap 👍🏼
Where do you get your earlier pressed steel wishbones from?

Thanks. Just dropped Paul a line on the checkstrap
Where do you get your earlier pressed steel wishbones from?

Early cars being broken is one option subject to ball joint condition. There are a few third parts supplier Lemford likely being the best

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1.4 is a lovely little ten farm but imo no the best for hilly or fast roads and is not very tunable. I have Pinne Green by @A2 Steve and @Celistone with a BCB/AUB 1.6 conversion. It’s a lovely thing but probably not something to consider within hours of buying a car. Welcome to A2s and I hope you enjoy your car

George

Just done the first proper wash and minor detail - interior/exterior rubber, trim etc. Its when you really find out what a car is like and what needs attention.

Discovered shes in pretty good condition and you’d struggle to say she was nearly 20 years old. Things that need fixing beyond my first list…

- Rear boot release half comes out of its slot if the boot is shut hard. I’ve dabbed a little Gorilla glue to hold in place until I can get a replacement.
- Interior coating around the switches is as expected, starting to rub away so I’m going to figure out a way to remove the rest of it.
- Sort out a more convenient USB port nearer to the front console, rather than the one between the seats with a long cable to the front windscreen.
- Drivers side indictor lens on front wing is a little loose but not enough to come out.

Also, when I drove the car earlier the ABS warning came on. After parking up and restarting it was off again and so far hasn't returned. Need to get a VW Audi code reader to see whats going on there.

All in all though, I’ve very pleased! Even took that crazy bonnet off and my son was amazed!

Back