Female in need of good mechanical advice.

AF1

Hey guys,

Just had a bit of a scary situation. I was travelling along A1 when car cut out and big red (!) flashed up. Managed to pull up safely although I must admit it took all my will power not to go into panic mode as was doing around 65 and road was busy. There was no loud noise before the car cut out other than the loud bleep which scared the bejeesus out of me.

Anyway to cut a long story short the AA came out and took a peek and his report states:

"Cam Belt - Cam link belt broken".

This means nothing to me, however he showed me where the belt sits and it is the one that runs very close to the cam belt.

Now, when I bought the car on 17 March this year the garage had the cambelt and tensioner replaced for me before I collected it as it was on 69000 miles with no record of it having been done previously.

So guys I guess my question is, should the belt that has gone, have been done at the same time as the cam belt? What is included in the cambelt kit?

I'll be honest I am a bit concerned with the garage that did the original work as a week after I collected the car I had to take it into a garage because the nuggets had not tightened the oil filter!

Any suggestions guys? If anyone is unsure of which belt I mean, then I'm happy to take photos. I could just do with some friendly (and honest) advice!

If it is the belt that is visible (black, about 25mm wide) that has snapped then this is the auxilliary belt and is different to the cambelt, as it just drives the climate compressor and the alternator.

It is adviseable to change it every 4 years, but is not included in any cambelt kit, nor is it routinely changed at the same time as the cambelt

The good news is that it is relatively cheap and to fit it, on;y muscles are needed, no disassembly required.

You can drive the car a short distance safely, but as the alternator is not working, please bear in mind that your battery will be discharging.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Skipton. It would only have been visible when you take the cover off that covers the cambelt. The belt would have sat right next to the cam belt. The car completely cut out and wouldnt restart.

I've taken a picture if it helps.

Hi AF1
It looks like the short belt which drives the second camshaft has failed. I'm not sure if this should automatically be changed at the same time as the cambelt nor if the belt failure could result in bent valves etc.
Sorry to be so negative

Cheers Spike

No worries Spike. I'd rather know now. The place I bought it from is making arrangements for the car to be collected tomorrow, its just a nightmare because its 40 odd miles away. If it had taken valves with it, would there have been any noise before it cut out? As I heard nothing! I've got everything crossed. I'm more annoyed at the timing of this happening. I was on my way back from having 2 tyres replaced and buying a wiper blade. So literally within an hour of spending £137 on her!

Can someone give me a worst case scenario cost?

Further to Spikes post, I can confirm that it looks like the additional belt, as shown below:

PetrolCambelt.jpg

The cambelt kit of parts for your car (2001 petrol) comes with both belts and 2 tensioning rollers, plus a relay roller and a hex bolt, so it should have been changed as routine.

You need to report this to the garage and see what they say - all repairs should be free of charge, as should your replacement vehicle!

Cheers,

Mike

Yup, thats the badger! Part 10.

The garage is collecting tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be at their expense and not mine.

I love my baby, but don't think I could face a huge repair bill.

I will enquire as to getting a replacement car but I dont know if I have a leg to stand on as I've had the car 4 months and 4 days and it only came with a 3 month warranty.

What is the name of the small belt (part 10)

The small belt is helpfully called "toothed belt - Z=58" and it is around £25 on its own, but as I say, it is incuded in the cambelt kit.

The on;y part that is optional is 18B, which is a relay roller, so the little toothed fella should have been done at the same time as the big belt.

Whether the car is out of warranty or not, the belt was changed (or should we say the job was only half done!) whilst under warranty, so you are covered, especially as they've not carried out the necessary work fully.

Best of luck and keep up posted.

Cheers

Mike

Mike you're a diamond. I'm so glad I found this forum as I think I would have had a sleepless night tonight, without your valuable information. I will keep you informed as to what the garage says.

I might get a bit shirty with them about a replacement car as I'm supposed to be taking the mother in law to a show in Manchester this weekend and dont fancy getting the train there. But I think I will have more chance of taking a leak in the queens handbag to be honest. :D

That's why I'm here!

THe replacement car is really a necessity - why should you have to fork out when yours has been taken off the road through their shoddy work!?

Play it cool at first, but kick up a fuss and play hell if they don't agree to helping you out completely free of charge. They messed up, so because of trying to save a few quid (I suspect they bought only a cambelt, not a full kit), they have inconvenienced you and put you in a situation that could have been really dangerous.

Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers,

Mike

My invoice for the car states that they replaced the cambelt and tensioner and he actually kept the tentioner to show me and made a big fuss of how he was so glad they changed it because it had a crack in it.

However, if it is down to their shoddy workmanship then I wouldn't be surprised. As I said in my opening post, when I got the vehicle home after buying it hubby noticed a huge patch of oil outside the house. He checked the oil filter and it wasnt even hand tight. So they are already in my bad books!

OK a quick update:

I sent the garage an email last night, which included:

The photos I put on here
A scan of the AA report
A copy of the diagram that you helpfully posted
A link to Stoke Audi Parts website listing all parts included in the Cam belt kit.

I got a call early this morning from one of the "directors". He explained that he will get the car collected today and although they dont normally do it they will provide me with a courtesey car!

They are content that the belt that has gone should have been replaced as part of the cam belt kit and has stated that no cost for any repair will land at my door.

They are however stating that no-one will cover the cost of recovering the vehicle from my house to their garage and that I may have to pay a "nominal" fee. I think I can just about live with that, although I'm not best pleased.

Mike your help and knowledge was fantastic and helped this little lady put her case forward to the big bad garage. (I think they even thought I knew what I was talking about)!

I've just got everything crossed that it is just the belt and no further damage as I dont want to be without Little D (her name) for too long. Unless of course my courtesey car is a TDi A2. :D That would make me very happy. Unlikely though!

Great news!

Fingers crossed that all is well with the rest of the engine and that Little D is back on your driveway in the rudest of health in the very near future.

Increasingly, we are having to look after each other as less and less garages can be bothered with the A2, so any help I give members is given willingly and in the knowledge that it's helping to keep these fantastic little cars on the road, which is what the forums are all about!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, you are leg end and so I will be making sure I bring my A2 to you to fit Cruise and then for any services I need. You cant put a price on customer service :D

Thanks David,

I have one way of treating people and their A2s and that is as I'd expect to be treated - simple as that!

Took me a couple of read throughs to get what you meant then - thought it was a cricketing term at first;)

Rather embarrasingly, I was nominated and shortlisted as Audi Driver Magazines Audi Personality of the Year for 2008 - didn't come to anything, but it is rather flattering all the same, when you're in the same company as Alan McNish and Tom Christensen!

The main protagonist for starting the ball rolling has been a little quiet on here of late, so I'm hoping that there won't be a repeat performance this year!

Cheers,

Mike

Ahhh, thought your ears might be burning!

Welcome back Victor (Meldrew) - where the heck you been? We've missed your unique input over the last few weeks!

Cheers,

Mike

Don't think it wont happen again, and i think this year you may get a few more votes lol and as AM didn't win LM then you may be in the running lol

Phil

Back