French diesel

Rich.

A2OC Donor
Thinking of going to france next week for the day... is the diesel the same ok for the car in france?

Hopefully the car will still be in one piece when I get back. Can't resist the P&O £20 return with car deal :)

I Drove a 1000 miles around France last summer and filled up at
the supermarkets my car never missed a beat ...
Hope you Have a great time !!!!

I also did a lot of miles on a French holiday last year and the diesel was fine, no problems.

I am not sure about the current situation, but French Diesel used to have a slightly higher calorific value and a high sulphur content then UK diesel. The net result of that is slightly better miles per gallon, and a bit more soot. French diesel will not harm anything, and may be slightly cheaper then UK diesel. I usually fill up before leaving France to come back to the UK, as well as a few bottles of wine etc.

Last edited:
Most French cars are diesel these days, so there's a good chance it's OK :)

This site is the French equivalent of petrolprices.com, but it helps if you can read a bit of French: http://www.zagaz.com/

The one you want is "Gas", short for gasoil. "Gas+" is a more expensive diesel (don't ask me why). S98 & S95 are "sans-plomb", or literally without lead, petrol.

The cheapest diesel is found at supermarkets, currently a fraction under 1 euro/litre. So about 75p/l. You can pay up to 1.3 euros/l on motorways & "branded" filling stations. That's 98p/l! I don't remember seeing variations like that in the UK, or even France, but that's what the site is showing.

You will need a reflective vest and a spare set of bulbs to drive in France
you can buy the vest and the whole bulb kit from halfrauds .
Also dont forget if you are likely to drive at night you will need to buy the stick on headlamp convertors ....
Oh nearly forgot Warning Triangle .....and a First Aid Kit ....
That should just be about it ...

I Took the Bulb kit back when i got back to The Uk as i had not used it ....:)

You will need a reflective vest and a spare set of bulbs to drive in France
you can buy the vest and the whole bulb kit from halfrauds .

Oh nearly forgot Warning Triangle .....and a First Aid Kit ....
That should just be about it ...

Although it's good to take all this stuff whichever country you drive in, UK included, there's no legal requirement in France. See http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_France_Monaco.pdf

The AA, RAC, Halfords & ferry companies all try to sell you stuff by saying it's either recommended or a legal requirement. It's a great revenue stream for them. Of course, all this stuff is "recommended" in the UK, but do you bother? Certainly not worth sweating over for a day trip to Calias, but not a bad idea for longer trips. I take a warning triangle, first aid kit, spare bulbs & that's about it.

I usually work out which area of the headlamp lens to mask & just use white insulation tape. You can work out which bit to mask by shining your lights against a wall or garage door and using your fingers to cover different parts of the lens until you find the right bit by trial & error. It used to be obvious on older cars, due to the lens patterns, but isn't these days with clear lenses and reflectors doing all the beam pattern creation.

I've seen loads of the expensive beam deflectors stuck onto the wrong part of the lens over the years, so I'd recommend the trial & error method to check the right positioning even if you feel these things are good value...

Don't all A2's have first aid kits and warning triangles as standard?

Last edited:
I thik I got first aid kit and pack just will get some spare bulbs and the masking tape for the lights but im not sure where you stick it on headlamps. Can't you just drop the beam using the dial switch

Last edited:
Can't you just drop the beam using the dial switch

Not a good idea if you want to see ahead! You just need to eliminate the part of the beam that's intended to light up left hand verges. Just shine your lights on a surface at night & you'll see what needs to be done.

Don't run too low on fuel! I've done it twice now and girlfriend is less than impressed. The automatic pay pumps at supermarkets (open when the main store is closed) do NOT take UK issued chip and pin cards. You'll be all right if the little kiosk is open they'll happily take your card but the pumps won't.
Last time I was saved by a friendly frenchie who used his card and I gave him cash. The time before the breakdown truck costs worked out at £80/gallon!

Bon chance!

Jonathan

Last edited:
The automatic pay pumps at supermarkets (open when the main store is closed) do NOT take UK issued chip and pin cards.

When did this happen? I've been caught out like this before & had to ask a local to use his card & I gave him cash. That was a few years ago & things have changed. Last year I used my chip & pin in pumps & it worked fine. You can select the language, so you don't need any Franglais :). I think you're right, the supermarket kiosks aren't manned on Sundays & other times when the shops are closed.

I Must have got lucky then i used my debit car after hours and it worked fine .....
When you stick the tape on your headlamps from the halfords kit you cut out the circular part only
and stick that on your headlamp ......

When did this happen? I've been caught out like this before & had to ask a local to use his card & I gave him cash. That was a few years ago & things have changed. Last year I used my chip & pin in pumps & it worked fine. You can select the language, so you don't need any Franglais :). I think you're right, the supermarket kiosks aren't manned on Sundays & other times when the shops are closed.

The last time was in December (2007) in Alsace. I don't know how to determine which cards will work or not. I tried debit cards from Lloyds & Coop & about half a dozen credit cards from various providers. I'd be interested to know which banks' cards do work.

Thanks

Jonathan

I have used Tesco Mastercard all over France at Supermarkets and Major stations on the automated system without any issue since last Spring, they will limit the amount of fuel, this limit varied between 60E and 99E - should not be too much of a problem for the A2 ;)

French pumps used to accept Carte Bleu only. Sounds as though that has changed. For headlight masking refer to pages 192-3 of the manual (or thereabouts).

RAB

French pumps used to accept Carte Bleu only. Sounds as though that has changed. For headlight masking refer to pages 192-3 of the manual (or thereabouts).

RAB
I Never thought of that the diagram you get
with the stick on convertors is next to useless ...:)

Back