Front strut/ spring removal

simondh

Following a worryingly loud bang from under the front of my FSi sport I've discovered that the nearside front suspension coil spring has broken. It looks like it's only approx half a coil right at the top, the broken end is clearly visible.

Looking at the strut, removal seems pretty standard, 3 bolts at the top and a pinch bolt securing it to the front hub. What I can't see is what lies under the black plastic cap at the top of the strut. I've done this job on other cars many times and it's either an external hexagon on the strut rod or an internal one for an allen key to hold the rod whilst undoing the top nut (after putting the spring compressors on !). Does anyone have any info from Audi repair manuals on what the securing method is ?

Thanks

Simon

Having had my springs replaced last week, you've chosen the correct side to replace, as the offside was a sod to do (wasn't it Robin?)!!!

There's a 1 inch hex nut securing the spring top plate under the black plastic cover. If you have the right tools (ie a good spring compressor) then go ahead and change it yourself, otherwise, leave it to the pros.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that Mike. Yes you are right the offside looks a real pain due to access to the top of the strut, master cylinder in the way as a I recall. The one inch hex nut sounds no problem but what is there to hold the strut rod when undoing the nut ?

While I'm under there I''ll have a look at other suspension components as there is a bit of a rattle over small bumps (before spring broke). Anti roll bar links seem OK what else should I be looking for excess wear on ?

Thanks again.

Simon

Hi Simon

I have not checked the front struts on an A2 but there is usually an allen key recess in the top of the piston rod. There is a special tool available but normally you can get by with a suitable ring spanner and hex key.
The rattle could be rollbar bushes or roll bar droplinks - normally you need to remove the droplinks to determine if the balljoints are worn

Cheers Spike

hi simon

as mike pointed out it is the best side to do the other is a pain in the butt to get to
as spike pointed out there is a hex key and nut under the black cap.
we used air gun's and socket to get the nut off the spring top mount.

[What I can't see is what lies under the black plastic cap at the top of the strut.] just top mount nut

how to change the spring

PUT CAR ON AXLE STANDS IS A MUST DO

when you have undone the one pinch bolt you need to get a leaver in the gap at the bottom of the hub and widen it so the strut will come out use WD40 or similar to help release it

then undo the three bolts on the top strut and pull it down and will fall out the plastic cup will stay on top

put coil spring compressor on if needed and get old spring off

when you put back together again put the plastic cap on top of strut first and feed it up under the wing as you can not get it back by pushing from the top we tried!!!! on mikes

when you put back three nuts first then hub

hope this helps you a bit

cheers

Robin

Thanks for that Robin, it all sounds as I guessed, just not sure if there were any "funnies" that Audi had slipped in !

Cheers

Simon

Help!. How to change front coil spring
On my 2001 A2 font coil spring (driver side) is broken, I bright a coil and spring compressor. Can someone please clarify do I need to remove ball joint and drive shaft to change the coil spring?.

I found that when I did my ti the drive shaft would not allow the hub assembly to drop low enough so I ended up compressing spring in situ to allow enough movement to get out of hub assembly.

Thank you!. its great guide. explain every things. here is translation for anyone how going to do the job. (translation thanks to Google)
Need tools and accessories:
● Two Jacks
● spring compressor
● honed chisel of image cope
● ratchet with extension
● Nuts size 10, 13, 16, 17, 18, 21 and possibly 22
● ring spanner SW 16, 18, 21 and possibly 22
● Allen wrench or nut SW 5.6 and 7 depending on the shock absorber
● 2000g Stahlhammer
● Breakdown, Aludorn, 1/2 "extension, etc.
● screwdriver 2 mm blade width
● Combination Pliers
● Optional: Impact Wrench
● Optional: new screws, nuts

Solve plug on coolant expansion tank
-
Loosen nut SW10 under the coolant expansion tank
-
Laying the coolant expansion tank to the side

Loosen nut SW16 at coupling rod and remove coupling rod

Unhook holder for ABS cable with screwdriver

Loosen nut SW18 and SW18 screw in the wheel bearing housing

Grind handle as shown in chisel about

Chisel recover from the bottom to the wheel bearing housing. Chisel may not present to the plate in the
Slot come.

If the wheel bearing housing will not fall by itself or with extension and Aludorn
Hammer help out.

Loosen 3 screws in the Cathedral

Shock with a jerk remove the bottom (cover can it remain)

Spring with spring tensioners, loosen nut SW21 on the rod. Possibly with SW7 in
Hold piston rod against

New shock absorber reassemble spring must stop at the bottom of the spring plate

sit. Plastic cap on camber plates before Refitting!

Rear axle:
7 left or right 8 screws and 3 plastic rivets N., remove the wheel housing

The biggest battle you will have is getting to the 3 13mm bolts securing the top mount in place as you need to move the brake reservoir housing. There is a 10 mm bolt that is at the top of the webasto heater frame under the edge of the wing, this just needs loosening as the brake reservoir frame was a slotted hole. There are 2 (sometimes 3) 10mm bolts buried at the back on the strut housing of the body that I moved the air pipe (took out mass air flow meter) to get access too. This will then give you limited access to the 3 bolts! It can be done but my swear jar is now full and it looks like my hands have been in a war with a cat! To get the chisel in you will need to rotate the steering wheel or take track rod off. I would give all bolts a good WD40 soak too and clean all threads with a wire brush to ease taking them off.

To get the top nut off after taking the compression off the spring with the spring clamps I used a spark plug socket that fits the top nut and a 7mm allen key to hold the piston of the shock through the top of the spark plug socket as mine has a 22mm hex head that I can get a spanner on. Just done my other a2 today in damp conditions. Rears tomorrow!

The nearside is much easier! Good luck, it can be done with time and patience!

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I might need to do this job on my new (to me) A2 soon - after removing and replacing struts, does the camber (and other geometry) need checking/adjusting, or is the camber effectively non-adjustable by the strut positively locating both at the top and bottom? I'm hoping to do the job myself but I don't have the kit to check/adjust camber and tracking (I used to....long story, sold the tools!)

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I might need to do this job on my new (to me) A2 soon - after removing and replacing struts, does the camber (and other geometry) need checking/adjusting, or is the camber effectively non-adjustable by the strut positively locating both at the top and bottom? I'm hoping to do the job myself but I don't have the kit to check/adjust camber and tracking (I used to....long story, sold the tools!)

I would definitely recommend getting the tracking checked anyway, for some reason the A2 seems to need this done more regularly than other cars. SO any disturbance in that area is best checked again.
I am pretty sure that the standard set up is not adjustable for camber, but it wouldn't harm to get that checked at the same time.

Steve B

Apologies for dragging up an old thread as well.

After investigation my Front Strut Bearings and mounts need to be replaced. This investigation followed a loud ding noise coming from the offside suspension which was the coil spring sticking then releasing at the top with a loud ping noise. Apparently the wife said it had been making that noise for a while but she forgot to tell me. 4 months she has been waiting to tell me this. Humph.

I've been up since 4 am, and for all the searching online I have not gotten all of the info in one link, it's spread across many and I'm getting confused.

I see there is a list of parts, I've seen pictures of what people have bought and some links show where to buy stuff on ebay or Amazon but there is not one link that does that all.

Or is there?

Just to check from my understanding from all of the posts made.

Audi or TPS is the best place to get the parts for the car.

That failing Ebay.
Front Suspension.
Meyle for the Top Strut mount and bearings. - £21.91 each (£44 total (Rounded Up))
Monroe Reflex (309) for the shock absorbers. - £46.28 for pair.
Monroe Coil Springs - £48.35 for pair
Monroe Front protection Kit - £26.95 for pair
Febi Bilstein Front Bump Stop - £4.32 each (£10 total (Rounded Up))
Total £177 (Rounded Up)

Or Auto Doc.
Meyle for the Top Strut mount and bearings and bolts. - £25.94 each (£52 total (Rounded Up))
Monroe Reflex (309) for the shock absorbers. - £46.29 for pair.
Monroe Coil Springs - £44 for pair (Rounded Up)
Monroe Front protection Kit - £25 for pair (Rounded Up)
Total £178 (Rounded Up)

I have not included the bolts required:-
N 102 078 04 – Bolt (x4)
N 019 530 8 – Bolt (x6)
WHT 005 480 – Bolt (x4)
N 905 173 04 – Bolt (x2)
N 906 484 02 – Bolt (x4)

Does this sound correct?

There is a Front suspension kit from Meyle. - £164.95

Or there are is a full suspension kit (Front and Rear) available. - £210

Note:
I have not done the rear suspension costing but will update this later today.
2X Rear spring lower seat 8ZO 511 149 A
2X Rear bump stop 6QO 512 131 B
2X Rear spring upper seat 1JO 512 149 B
2X Bolt N 102 078 04
2X Nut N 101 064 02
2X Bolt N 905 173 04
4X Bolt w/captive washer N 906 484 02
2X Nut N 102 861 10

Last edited:
Apologies for dragging up an old thread as well.

After investigation my Front Strut Bearings and mounts need to be replaced. This investigation followed a loud ding noise coming from the offside suspension which was the coil spring sticking then releasing at the top with a loud ping noise. Apparently the wife said it had been making that noise for a while but she forgot to tell me. 4 months she has been waiting to tell me this. Humph.

I've been up since 4 am, and for all the searching online I have not gotten all of the info in one link, it's spread across many and I'm getting confused.

I see there is a list of parts, I've seen pictures of what people have bought and some links show where to buy stuff on ebay or Amazon but there is not one link that does that all.

Or is there?

Just to check from my understanding from all of the posts made.

Audi or TPS is the best place to get the parts for the car.

That failing Ebay.
Front Suspension.
Meyle for the Top Strut mount and bearings. - £21.91 each (£44 total (Rounded Up))
Monroe Reflex (309) for the shock absorbers. - £46.28 for pair.
Monroe Coil Springs - £48.35 for pair
Monroe Front protection Kit - £26.95 for pair
Total £177 (Rounded Up)

Or Auto Doc.
Meyle for the Top Strut mount and bearings and bolts. - £25.94 each (£52 total (Rounded Up))
Monroe Reflex (309) for the shock absorbers. - £46.29 for pair.
Monroe Coil Springs - £44 for pair (Rounded Up)
Monroe Front protection Kit - £25 for pair (Rounded Up)
Total £178 (Rounded Up)

I have not included the bolts required:-
N 102 078 04 – Bolt (x4)
N 019 530 8 – Bolt (x6)
WHT 005 480 – Bolt (x4)
N 905 173 04 – Bolt (x2)
N 906 484 02 – Bolt (x4)

Does this sound correct?

There is a Front suspension kit from Meyle. - £164.95

Or there are is a full suspension kit (Front and Rear) available. - £210

Note:
I have not done the rear suspension costing but will update this later today.
2X Rear spring lower seat 8ZO 511 149 A
2X Rear bump stop 6QO 512 131 B
2X Rear spring upper seat 1JO 512 149 B
2X Bolt N 102 078 04
2X Nut N 101 064 02
2X Bolt N 905 173 04
4X Bolt w/captive washer N 906 484 02
2X Nut N 102 861 10

Hi AudA2Numpty

I also have to replace a leaking n/s shock absorber, plus a broken o/s spring

which option did you go for?, if you don't mind me asking

Thanks Shaperd

Hi,

I've just driven back from France to pick up a few things and popped into TPS in Bletchley. I was already to buy the parts and came to my senses as the Top Strut mount and bearings where going to be £57 for one side.

So I am coming to conclusion I will be buying the Meyle Top Strut mounts and bolts. Everything else will be Monroe.
Where from is my next challenge today.

Back