Frost on the windscreen inside.

You have a water leak!

Check in the boot where the battery is or else the footwell carpets to confirm. I had this problem in our Touran 2 winters ago - the only way you can get ice on the inside of the screen is through excessive damp in the interior.

I get it, but then the car is still drying out from the poor screen installation I had recently. If you have both keys, a tip is to start the car defrosting at the start of your day, lock the door with the second key in the external barrel and you can then safely retreat to warmer climes without leaving the car for some scrote to jump in and drive off.

I get it, but then the car is still drying out from the poor screen installation I had recently. If you have both keys, a tip is to start the car defrosting at the start of your day, lock the door with the second key in the external barrel and you can then safely retreat to warmer climes without leaving the car for some scrote to jump in and drive off.

Yes I do, and did this morning. I'm not aware of any water leaks, Boot well is dry.
Mac

-Replace cabin air filter
-Knock your boots before you enter the vehicle if it's wet or snowy so you don't carry excesss moisture inside
-Put a rubber mat during winter so the floor mat doesn't get wet
-Open the door or windows once in a while if you've been inside the car without the AC to let the moisture out

And you can buy some moisture absorbers which you can leave inside the car. I don't know how well they work.

I have no water leaks. Obviously there's damp in the car but will have to wait till warmer weather comes and maybe take out all the seats and carpets to dry out.

I have no water leaks. Obviously there's damp in the car but will have to wait till warmer weather comes and maybe take out all the seats and carpets to dry out.
It's worth lifting the carpets to ensure that there is no water under them, especially the passenger side as the air-con drain can sometimes leak without any obvious signs.

The a/c doesn't run however below a certain temperature which is rather frustrating as it usually stops operating right when it would be ideal to have the dehumidifying effect. I have two big silica bags that indicate when they need to be regenerated by microwaving. One sits nicely in the indent behind the dashboard grab-handle. There is a noticeable difference in the likelihood of the windscreen misting up internally when it goes cold after dark here whether the bags are newly regenerated or needing to be done.

The a/c doesn't run however below a certain temperature which is rather frustrating as it usually stops operating right when it would be ideal to have the dehumidifying effect. I have two big silica bags that indicate when they need to be regenerated by microwaving. One sits nicely in the indent behind the dashboard grab-handle. There is a noticeable difference in the likelihood of the windscreen misting up internally when it goes cold after dark here whether the bags are newly regenerated or needing to be done.
Thanks, I think might be worth getting a couple of these silica gel sacks

If the battery compartment is dry then it is the windscreen, The sealant has hardened and shrunk, the rubber trims have aged and shrunk. So it is either get the windscreen removed and refitted or work out a way to have a neat silicone sealant applied onto those areas.

Same positioning for my silica bag 👍 :)

Attachments

• 16739698383128999505335564848540.jpg
    16739698383128999505335564848540.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
The water is in the front passenger side, and in the electronics well also.
The water is very clean, and foams when the sound deadening is squiged. No sign of it running down anywhere, so for now, assuming it's jet wash water. How it's got in, I haven't a clue right now.
Carpets are out, wet vac has removed most of the water, and fan heater on low heat is drying the electronics.
With luck, the electronics is OK, and I've caught it in time, but I'd think only just.
So, if your car's damp, don't put off tracking it down.
Mac.

Last edited:
I just thought of that too. So, drive about with the temp set as low as it'll go, and AC on. Can't see this appealing to Mrs Mac though ...
I'll get my (thermal lined) coat.
Oh, and a pair of yellow (driving) gloves, (if anyone remembers Lonnie Donegan's "Putting on the Style").
Mac.

Last edited:
I also have the AC on all the time, as that dries the air.
Mac.
Yes sorry I should have said in my answer above - assuming you run A/C all the time when using the car, you have a leak.

I always run A/C as it doesn’t seem to impact my consumption figures and the drying effect on the car’s interior and my feet is well worth having.

The water is in the front passenger side, and in the electronics well also.
The water is very clean, and foams when the sound deadening is squiged. No sign of it running down anywhere, so for now, assuming it's jet wash water. How it's got in, I haven't a clue right now.
Carpets are out, wet vac has removed most of the water, and fan heater on low heat is drying the electronics.
With luck, the electronics is OK, and I've caught it in time, but I'd think only just.
So, if your car's damp, don't put off tracking it down.
Mac.
Well done on finding it.

Back