Fuel comsumption insanity and some rantings

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Torquil

Fuel consumption .. Grow up and move forward you Brits!!

I am new to this site but I thought I would jump in the deep end and stir up a hornets nest straight away…..
Fuel consumption figures??? MPG, miles per litre, kilometres per litre and litres per 100km??

I have taken the rather impressive 3l/100km for the best A2 as a calculation point.

To convert to Miles per gallon 100/3 = 33 kilometres per litre times by 2.841 (5/8x4.5459) = 94.699mpg

Or conversely To covert to litres per 100km 100/(94.699/2.841)=3

To covert Miles per Gallon to miles per litre divide by 4.5459 (4.55 approx)

So now the real debate begins.. Why oh why are Brits still using MPG when gallons were banned as a unit of measure some years ago. [V] I have got into miles per litre as my tachometer measures miles and the petrol station sells me litres. [^]Conversion is a simple x by 4.55 to MPG but why are we still doing this?:(

Of course our Euro cousins (surely invented by the French)[?] use litres per 100km?? This does not work well with our logic!! [:0]

I can only presume that in the dark times in Britain (1970’s) when we were all poor!!

how far you could go on how much you could afford was logical.
</u>
Our rich neighbours on the other hand worked out where they wanted to go bought lots of litres with their smart bank cards and headed for the Riviera, St. Moritz or wherever!!

My conclusion is that you are all wrong!![V] In Britain use miles per litre in Europe use kilometres per litre why would anything else be sensible?[?]

I await some debate and and feel safe from the wrath away in my northern haven.

Torq fae Ork

A2 1.4tdi yet to be ordered can't decide on colour/trim etc My better half has requested castle red with beige interior ?? not sure about her jugement ....oww that was very painful.

ps sorry about all the smiles but its my first time and I am having a bit of fun.:)

After spending 6 months in Norway working alongside locals I quickly added calculations on my petrol consumtion spreadsheet for miles/litre, km/litre, litres/100km to converse at how efficient my car is! To me it's no big deal as although I've been brought up with mpg, I can now understand the others and easily see my economy in thier terms...

I'm also a non-A2 owner, but that's more down to my current Punto being so enjoyable and financially viable to continue using as well as A2 extras pricing.

At least we can be glad that the A2 is not sold in the US, because else we additional had to deal with MPG and MPG , one with imperial gallon and one with US gallon.

Martin

Come on!

miles are here to stay at least until we join the Euro, and get a wopping big grant from Brussels to change all our road signs (which tend to be inaccurate anyway! 0 drive the A6 Bedford to Luton and note how the miles to go on the signs increase the closer you get!)

In aviation we have to deal with quarts (oil), US galls (some pretty!), altiude in Feet, runways in metres, meterological visibility in kilometers and altimeter pressure settings in inches of mercury, millibars orr hectopascals!

MPG is in the UK psychi. The Petrol firms went to Litres and made a HUGE profit every time they raised the prices! 2 p on gallon was fine, 2 p on a litre - Joey English didn't notice the hike until it was too late!

My imported 1.2 TDI reads mpg and I'm happy to read an average of 77 mpg on snow tyres!

bye!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

Hi ecoangel, your car sounds brill but I think my ethics must have faded as I feel I desire the 75bhp on the uk car.

I have built an energy efficient house that saves lots of co2 every year so I make up a little in one area.

I am a pilot as well so follow all the stuff above except my engine uses litres (Rotax-mmm very nice)

Thanks for the reply I hoped someone would get on their high horse... But I did propose miles per litre as these are the base figures we have to work with.
Most people that think they use xyz MPG have probably not worked it out correctly (A2 owners excepted)

The only correct way is a comlete fill followed by the comparison with the miles driven(accurate?) and this then averaged over several fills!

Tc

...that's why I've mastered the 4.546 times table.

Some useful conversions for working out good old MPG:

10 miles/litre ~= 45mpg

Thus if you've done 230 miles and put in 22 litres, you're doing well in a 1.4SE and you're Mr leadfoot in a TDI ! Basic idea is you can see if your getting below or above 45mpg (which will suit petrol A2s)

And for those who can divide your total mileage by 7, 9 or 11 having filled up with the following amounts...

32 litres ~= 7 gallons
41 litres ~= 9 gallons
50 litres ~= 11 gallons

and you'll get your MPG

Long live imperial units !

Dave

1.6SE

Since The Honorable Member is being so nasty about continental units will he please agree that his TDi will be more economical on the other side of le Manche (sorry English Channel.) It will cost him GBP20 to fill up in GB, but about EUR20 to fill up in B, F etc...

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

I don't really have a problem with petrol/desiel prices in the UK ?!? shock horror.

I do have a problem with us in the north paying 10% more than the city prices.
If we did not have an economic imperative to save fuel then we would all be running around in horrible gas guzzling 2+2 pick up's like our slightly uncouth cousins across the pond. (The big pond)

As it is we have a beautiful elegant masterpiece of european engineering (Ok German) that blows all the other supposedly eco cars out of the water.

Torquil

Never mind going metric when are we goung to move back to £ S d, the good old days 240 pennies to the £. What a sensable system 12 pennies to the pound, you could divide by 2 or 4 and stil come up with a whole figure.

From the Times in 1890 "Fog in Channel, Europe isolated" says it all

What fool would want to go back to the times when petrol was only 4 shillings a gallon (20p in new money), with a pint of beer costing 2 bob (10p in new money). Its far more exciting to play around with our revised and current currency where a gallon of fuel can be had for a snip of ONLY £3.50 and a glass of beer at a sociable £2.50.

Oh how I hated those times. Smartly dressed people walking on their way to work merrily whistling - trains and buses that were cleaned every day until they sparkled, and which nearly always arrived at the correct minute – streets free of litter and graffiti – and kids running errands for the elderly instead of mugging and rapping them.

In the old days there was never ever any fun in walking through London’s worst slum areas in the early hours of the morning knowing that absolutely nothing would happen, but now its exciting stuff with gun battles and streets in many cities being “no go areas” even for the police. I know some cynics say British Politician’s never do anything, but that’s not true at all when I have already outlined what they have done to earn their high salaries.

Regards
John Disdale

Wow John such cynasicim

I hope we all survive a bit longer I've just ordered a new car... I want to get some use out of it before all ends.

Torquil

1.4Tdi sport Merlot etc on order!!

– and kids running errands for the elderly instead of mugging and rapping them.

JDi, is this a new street crime? Doing impersonations of Eminem or Tupak Shakur until the unfortunate victim can take no more and hands over their wallet or purse.:D

p.s. I'm not an insomniac - just finishing a 13hr night shift. I want my bed.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Torquil,

On the basis that the past has been bad enough we now have for the first time in my life a Prime Minister publicly announcing a future of doom and gloom. I don’t know if this message was only for A2 owners, however in terms of enjoying your new car I would not unduly worry when it looks as though you could have “days” of enjoyment. I might add that if your surname starts with a “T” it could be some time before you receive your gas mask and location of your nearest nuclear fallout shelter. That said there are rumours that such facilities will only extend if your surname starts with a “B”

I recall in the 90’s the frightening scare story put around by the Government that if the Iraqi armed forces did not move out of Kuwait then a gallon of petrol could rise to an alarming £2 a gallon. Personally I wish they had stayed there because currently we are paying around £3.50 a gallon. I expect this will rise to £4 (plus) in the very near future, although thankfully for the British Government the blame can be directed towards “the axis of evil” – although it is becoming legally confusing who this actually is. Could it be “Whitehouse Audi” in Maidstone ?

In terms of true British traditions, our heritage and culture, then I am wholly in favour of that. I say God save the Queen, because for sure no politician will. In terms of miles or MPG I’m sure these will remain until George Bush or another nutter suggests otherwise.

Regards
John Disdale

No just the a*s*h*l*s in Westminster.
Come on Mr Blurr, lets nuke something!
oK George I'm with you.................
Aseelum sikers perhaps?

icon_smile_cool.gif

I have 2 crazy ideas that I feel I should share with regards Iraq.

1. Offer $100 dollars cash to any Iraqi soldier that mutinies. Unfortunately bribery does work.
2. Drop 1000's of small trany radios (wind up?) in Iraq and start some publicity to counter sadam's version of events.
3. Drop some leaflets on the new A2 and let the populace drool about what could be.(Sorry I had to put that in so it wasn't a political rant)

??? I hope like everyone that it all ends well but it doesn’t look that great.
Can basil Bush climb down now? The news just reported 120,000 US troops in the region.

Like Frodo I suppose we just have to have some tiny degree of optimism

T

1.4Tdi sport Merlot etc on order!!

All Saddam has to do is send his troops over to the UK, they all claim asylum, we let them in no questions asked and start the war from within Kent. The local council will probably be forced to feed them whilst they fight.

What a shambles this country is in.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I would have it known that two of my best friends are asylum seekers. They say that they are fleeing from prejudice and persecution, and that they could be imprisoned just for speaking their mind. Their lives are also at risk, where in their local city there are 300 gun crimes each month, with the police only catching 10% of the offenders. They contend that their country has sunk down into the gutter, and that they were starting to feel like foreigners in their own country. Alas it’s not possible for them to seek any form of financial support from any Government, but I certainly wish my English friends a good new life in Spain & Portugal.

I have heard it said that a very senior British politician is about to seek asylum in a mansion in Tuscany, but apparently he feels no bitterness because he can manage his oil & arms shares from any part of the world.

Regards
John Disdale

John
It has been a misarable morning but your posting brought a smile to my face.

I to long for the old days good, well timed public services, rickets, TB, ring worm, (attendeing school with your head painted purple), Ah happy days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back