Gear box stiff ?

andyd

Guys,
I hope you don,t mind if I ask another question;
but since I bought my A2 last week the gear box
has been pretty stiff (so much so that my my learner driver struggled to change
gears whilst driving at the weekend. I have a warranty on engine and
gearbox and the garage said that they would look at it for me, with no guarantees that the could do anything and that I might just have to accept it
as it is?

Is this a common complaint with the A2 and are there any simple fixes.

Regards and thanks once again.

AndyD

I noticed that my A2 has a bit stiffer gearbox when compared to most cars (Touran, Transporter, Polo). It's because the gear lever is quite short, and it's movement is translated by strings at some point, and that makes it a bit more hard to handle. But it shouldn't be enough to hinder your driving.

... and there are also known issues with the linkages either losing lubrication, slowly getting stiff etc. It's not an expensive job (or shouldn't be...) but the A2 should be very, very smooth to shift. Exceptions are in the cold only (and by that I mean -20, when it's like using a knife in Ice cream as opposed to an apple). Mine is also slowly getting to the point where I need to deal with it - the shift to second is knobbly - but 2-3 is fine, as is from 4 down.

Bret

... and there are also known issues with the linkages either losing lubrication, slowly getting stiff etc. It's not an expensive job (or shouldn't be...) but the A2 should be very, very smooth to shift. Exceptions are in the cold only (and by that I mean -20, when it's like using a knife in Ice cream as opposed to an apple). Mine is also slowly getting to the point where I need to deal with it - the shift to second is knobbly - but 2-3 is fine, as is from 4 down.

Bret

Since acquiring the A2 over a month ago, our new driver has compliant that the A2 has jumped out of first gear a few times as the car is moving off. I have seen this happend a couple of times (but cannot be sure if the new driver had engage 1st gear properly or not). Is this a common or related problem? I don't feel that the gear shift in our A2 particularly stiff and it centres on neutral.

I have never had mine jump out, cold or not. Not engaged properly would definitely be my option there, especially if you have no problems.

Bret

I posted on here when I bought my A2 also moaning that the gearshift was overly stiff, but either I've got used to it, or the shift has improved as its been driven more (presume the car had been in the garage for a while before I bought it). Now I don't notice it as being overly stiff at all. I've never had it jump out of gear.

Thanks for your contibutions guys!

Thanks for your contibutions guys! (I fixed my blower problem yesterday).
I now feel more confident of my purchase having been the right decision.

I just have to sort out the car's interior rattles over the dashboard, passenger door and over the near side front wheel. Also the car's crashing over speed bumps and pot holes (damper issue?)' .

Dan, I think you might be right about the gearbox stiffness easing after being driven for a while (my A2 was also garaged for a six months before I bought it).

Spike, thanks for your link to the pdf user manual excerpt (can I buy this on-line?) Do you know if I definately require the retainer clip and would this procedure help gear change stiffness ( as other posts suggested) or will it purely help selection issues?.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

The knocking going over speed bumps is most likely the front anti roll bar. Do a search and you'll get plenty of info.

Best solution is the VW Polo bushings in place of the original Audi ones. The polo versions have a smaller diameter and hold the bar tighter so it won't move.

Part No. for the VW 16mm bushes is 6Q0411314P. I added them to our car a year ago and haven't had a problem since.

(can I buy this on-line?) Do you know if I definately require the retainer clip and would this procedure help gear change stiffness ( as other posts suggested) or will it purely help selection issues?.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy
There are loads of manuals on e.bay. Just be aware they dont always work on vista and some are only demo discs which time out - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=...p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=elsawin+3.61&_osacat=0

Retaining clip setting tool - I dont think you need the Audi tool as any piece of rod of the correct dia will work. The procedure is only for aligning the gear lever with the shift mechanism so I can't see it helping gearchange stiffness.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Ken and Spike once again.

If the stiffness is not affected by adjusting the linkages, then perhaps i'll either have to put up with it or go down the either the lubrication or body-building roots. Will try to purchase a manual on-line.

And Ken, perhaps it might be possible for me to pop round one evening this or next week for your advice? I currently do not feel confident enough to dismantle my A2 as I once would have done with my Mog Minor (step up in technology etc.). Knowledge Torque settings being a pre-requisite etc.

Cheers to all once again.

Andy

When i purchased my A2 i took it for a test drive and was a little worried about the gear changing going into 3rd gear but nearly 4 years and 40,000 miles later its still going strong ....

Thanks Wooly,

I guess I'll get used to the gears after my last car (easy gear change but murderous clutch pedal).
After driving 60 miles today on fairly fast winding country roads I have to say that the cars braking and handling are awsome and really inspire confidence for the coming months from September, where i'll be commuting a 65 miles daily on similer roads. Would you advise a damping/ suspension upgrade (ie. would hitting a pothole at speed/ speedbumps be more pleasant)/ and is this expensive? Also would handling be improved?

Cheers

Andy

The ultimate suspension upgrade is the Koni FSD shock, and for beter handling go for better tires. Try a search for KONI FSD, there are tons of posts.

Trex

Thanks for your advice on shox and tyres.
By tyre do you mean tread pattern or width?
My A2 has 175/14 inch tyres from various makes.

Cheers
Andy

dropping to 195/50R15 would probably help, depending on exactly what you want. Comfort would dictate 165/65R15, handling probably 195/50 or 55 R15.

But this is a bit off-topic now, no?

Bret

Thanks for your advice Brett,

I will try to stay on track more with my next thread.

Cheers

Andy

Back