Have I got a dud radio?

A2 TDI

I received a Concert stereo I bought from eBay pulled from an '02 A2. Plugged it in which I presume is correct with the 3 block plugs and all that happens is the screen lights up but doesn't show anything on the display. No sound or anything. Turning lights on also doesn't light up backlit buttons.

It's the first time I've used this stereo so don't know what might be wrong or what to expect. There is a very small brown connector which I didn't plug in as I didn't find any place for it in the back of the unit.

Thanks

Hi,

Is there any chance you could post a photograph of the connections at the back of the radio and the associated cables to aid with a diagnosis please? I'm confused as to why the brown connector won't fit. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Yes, I do one tomorrow morning. There are 3 connectors, one brown, black and red. If I remember correctly, the brown and black go parallel to each other. The top socket remains empty. The red larger one goes at the side vertically. Then there's a much smaller single pin connector in brown, which I'm not sure holds any significance.

HI
If your radio is a dud i have a concert 2 here in good condition for sale with very little wear on buttons powers up ok. Only problem is that it needs a code. I have the registration number of the audi a2 that the stereo was removed from(purchased it off a breaker). Stereo part number 8Z0 035186G.
If your interested i will post up pictures.
Steve

Here it is if you need a replacement.

As u can see minimal button wear the stereo.
Thanks
Steve

Steve, I might be interested in yours. What colour is it - looks black from the photos. Are the buttons the made from the easy-wear coating that often peels away? Please PM me your price.

The one I purchased looks like its a dark grey/light shade of black which doesn't go with the rest of the dash board. I have posted pictures of it with the connectors.

W6417EX.jpg
2MbLLv6.jpg
tEFPWMW.jpg

You have bought a concert II, but your car is a wired fro a concert 1 according to what I can see.

Also seems to have some mods for an aftermarket stereo, are you sure you have power on the right pins?

Yes, it had an aftermarket stereo before this, and I have an adapter that plugged into the car's cables to make it suitable for another stereo, so I don't think they're suitable for this stereo.

Which mods can you see?

Well the only mod I can see is that blue/white wires with a plug on the end of it.

You say it powers up? is this with the ignition or by pushing the power button on/off

Nothing will work correctly as this radio requires can bus signals on that 20 pin connector that you don't have, this contains the ignition/lights/speed information on a digital bus from the cluster.

The backlight comes on - that's all. Pushing the button will do this with or without the ignition on.

So, basically, it's missing the plug that does into the top socket? Have I got the wrong concert stereo unit then? (Which I presume is why it doesn't work?) I've got a 2002 A2.

Your car should have a concert I, not II, you can convert to a concert II with some wiring changes and that additional plug with can bus wires.

I'm guessing you only have front speakers as well, because the rears were always powered by an amp fed from that 20 pin connector

Ok, thanks. How do I make these changes? Is there an adapter I need to purchase? I just had a look on ebay - couldn't find anything related to this conversion.

Ive probally got the correct plug youl need on one of my looms i recently dismantled, if you cant source something PM me and ile dig the correct plug up for you with a good length of wires attached so you got plenty to wire it up correctly ..

Thanks - to install it is it quite technical? Would it be easier to get a concert 1? Unless there's a significant difference between the two?

no id not say its difficult , its probbaly a few wires to the fuse box area and to the drivers door pillar conector block for can and to the connector on the back of the speedo, if you find up the correct wiring diagram for the pins on the back of the radio id imagine it would be very easy, ive no idea on the difference as a symphony in mine

Symphony II and concert II wiring is identical.

I would suggest all you need are the two can wires from pins 7 & 12 of the 20 pin connector to the cluster 32 pin connector with the right can bus pins.

I think I'd have to switch to the concert I if that's what was designed for this car. I had a look on eBay and it seems the previous versions were the cassette/radio versions - like this? Concert I http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-CONC...648528?hash=item3d2a000190:g:3xcAAOSwcUBYFcp2

It's confusing because whilst my car is a 2002 model, there are other stereos like this, which look exactly like the one I purchased, but might work? I don't even know what model number I need to look for, which would make it simpler!

Cheers

Is that all is required to get it working? I prefer not to dismantle the dash if anything else is required to make this stereo compatible.

Any chance you could link to the parts I need on eBay if its just a case of putting in a sort of 'converter' with the can bus etc?

Concert I has one button in the middle. They are cars built generally before mid 2001, to my understanding they use K-Line for diagnostics. But they have CAN in place.
Concert II fully uses CAN for many things, including knowing that the radio is in the right car. There will NOT be a Concert or Chorus II in the "correct" shade for your dashboard, as they are by definition the later models which have the soft-touch paint.

Your registration and the build date have nothign to do with one another. The year is easiest to find from the VIN, where it's WAUZZZ8Zn and the n is the year of build (1=2001, 2=2002) etc. The week is also encoded in there, feel free to look that up on the web.

The wiring you would need to get the newer radio to work includes just two cables, but they do need to go from the correct positions on the original radio and be pulled through to connect to the back of the instrument cluster. You won't get around this if you want to use the more modern stereo.

I'm 90+% sure there is only the Symphony I of that generation which can play CDs, the original concert I was a cassette deck. Chorus II was with a cassette deck, concert II brought in a single CD and Symphony II the 6-disc changer in the dash. This may well influence your decision.

- Bret

Back