Heated mirrors

drakey70

Hi every one took the plunge today and ordered a set of heated mirror glasses from vagparts.

These along with the undertray and other bits and bobs this week have cost a bit but nothings too much for my newish baby.

Just like to say thanks mike the part numbers you supplyed make ordering much easier but the undertray is a hell of a lot bigger than i thought it would be.

Not sure why though as it would need to be pretty big to cover most of the under side of the engine i guess.:rolleyes:

Cheers david

No worries David,

Go careful when fitting and to make the mirror fitting easier, remove the matt black lowers from the mirror housing - makes removing the old glass much easier. 2 x T25 screws is all it takes.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi every one took the plunge today and ordered a set of heated mirror glasses from vagparts.

Hi David, I used a flattish freezer de-icing tool to lever behind the mirror.

From memory (there is a posting somewhere) I angled the mirror so that the top of the mirror was set in and the bottom coming out. I think I then placed a sheet of card to protect the lower part of the wing mirror housing while I insert the freezer tool behind the mirror and levered it out. I wore gardening gloves to hold against the hand glass to take the strain and for safety in case the glass broke (it didn't).

Thanks for the advice i will defo go careful mike as there not exactly cheap.

I will read all the advice on the forum then give it a go if i dont feel up to it i,ll pop over and see my brother in law as he does this sort of thing for a loving.

Cheers david

Thanks for the advice i will defo go careful mike as there not exactly cheap.

I will read all the advice on the forum then give it a go if i dont feel up to it i,ll pop over and see my brother in law as he does this sort of thing for a loving.

Cheers david

Or pop over here and I'll do 'em for you (gratis!).

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that mike may take you up on the offer if i get no joy myself.

Just thought i,d let you know i,ve had the undertray fitted its much quieter in the car now.

I,ve also had the two front shockers replaced as they were well knackered plus i need a front passenger side drop link put will get them from work and replace both as i,ll get the pair for less than the price of one if i went to the shop.

Cheers david

Thanks for pointing that out he does do car repairs for a LIVING not loving.

He,s a good guy to know he will do any thing to a car that needs fixing for not much money.

Dont know why as he could make a good living instead of £30 for striping down an engine and repairing and rebuilding as he does.
and any thing inbetween.

Heated mirrors update

Well the mirror glasses arrived this morning so i,ll be poping over to see my brother in law once i,ve helped my mum sort out my dads funeral.

Sad time as he died on tuesday and only 61 years old :(

Very sorry to hear of this sad news David - please accept my condolences and if there's anything that can be done to help, please just ask.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you mike

This may sound like a strange thing to say but i glad its over as he had been ill for a couple of years.:eek:

But i know he,s in a better place with his mum and sister now and not suffering.

Hi David,

I echo Mike's comments to the letter - my deepest condolences to you and your family.

I popped over to see my parents at the weekend and my own father looks and is very ill and generally 'run down' at the moment. I felt sick, genuinely, at the thought of losing him and I can only begin to imagine how you and yours must be feeling; no matter whether you knew it was coming or not.

I hope that you can seek solace in your knowledge that he is at peace.

Best Regards,

Darren

Thank you darren.

The thought that he,s with his mum and sister and at peace make dealing with the other stuff with my mum and sisters so much easier.

Heated mirror update

Well finally got round to fitting my mirror glasses much easier than i thought they would be but.

The passenger side mirror is not working the drivers side warms up nicely but not the other i fitted it in exactly the same way i even took it back out and tried it out of the mirror housing but no joy.

Im guessing the mirror glass is at fault or do they have a fuse each that i could check.

Cheers for any advice its just a bit of a b****r.

I searched for you in the german forum.
I found, that there is a bimetal (right behind the mirror) that indicates when the temperature is to high or high enough and switches it off. This contact could be to wide open so it wil not close anymore. This should solve the problem so the fault is in the mirror.

Well finally got round to fitting my mirror glasses much easier than i thought they would be but.

The passenger side mirror is not working the drivers side warms up nicely but not the other i fitted it in exactly the same way i even took it back out and tried it out of the mirror housing but no joy.

Im guessing the mirror glass is at fault or do they have a fuse each that i could check.

Cheers for any advice its just a bit of a b****r.
2 ways of checking: firstly, put a meter across the wires when operating to see if there's current there and secondly, try the known working glass in the other side and vice versa to see if the fault swaps sides. If it does, then the glass is at fault.

Cheers,

mike

And the bimetal switch must be in the glass somewere, otherwise it would not registrate the temperature. I always thought it is a NTC resistor but someone said it is a bimetal switch. Possible.

Thanks for the replys chaps i tried the mirror in the drivers side and it works fine so there must be some problem with the wires in the mirror housing.

My brother in law said it may be a fuse but as the electric mirror its self works fine im thinking that cant be the problem(can it).

Anyway should get to the bottom of this problem with some help from your good selves and my brother in law so for now im half happy.

Back