Heko Wind Deflectors

Darren C

A2OC Donor
With summer approaching, (well almost...), and a young daughter who is currently weaning herself out of nappies - there are occasions when it is nice to let some fresh air into the car on the move.

As the A2 is famed for towing a helicopter with the windows down, I am toying with purchasing a set of Heko Wind Deflectors in the hope that I can drive with the windows down once again.

Questions are:

1. Are they an easy and good fit and do they distort the rubber seals - meaning removal will be unsightly/may cause moisture ingress?
  2. Are the rears really that bad, (as per search function)?
  3. Are they good quality components?
  4. Do they impact on side view visibility in anyway?
I really like the lines of the car and equally I am in a quandary as to whether or not this fitment will detract somewhat from these. On a black/dark blue car, I don't see this being an issue as they will blend in, but Akoya might not take to them as kindly.

Thoughts appreciated.

Darren

discouraged

Hi
First of all, excuse my poor (french-)English :D

secondly, I think that it's a bad idea to add this "thing". I Tried them during one week before uninstalling them and breaking them in millions of pieces :mad:
Why ? , are going to tell me.

1/When you try to close the windows by one pression, the window re-opens when it touches the wind deflectors. this is a normal reaction because the anti-pinch security is detecting a obstacle on it's path. :(

immediate Consequences :
1/ When you have them mounted, you cannot close your windows by one pression. you need to catch the button on until it closes. This is due to the anti-pinch security which is detecting something wrong on it's way.

When I have unmounted the deflectors (and nicely/methodically destroyed them in pieces) , the passenger window still don't want to completely close even without any sort of obstacle. :mad: It doesn't go straightly on it's path. Something has moved and I have to find what, in order to repare

Long-term consequences :
Now, i 've got a passenger window for which I have to keep it's button up til it closes and sometimes i have to make several retries before it completely closes.
I have to repare it now, you see !

So my advice is to keep far from this gadget ;)

With summer approaching, (well almost...), and a young daughter who is currently weaning herself out of nappies - there are occasions when it is nice to let some fresh air into the car on the move.

As the A2 is famed for towing a helicopter with the windows down, I am toying with purchasing a set of Heko Wind Deflectors in the hope that I can drive with the windows down once again.

Questions are:

1. Are they an easy and good fit and do they distort the rubber seals - meaning removal will be unsightly/may cause moisture ingress?
  2. Are the rears really that bad, (as per search function)?
  3. Are they good quality components?
  4. Do they impact on side view visibility in anyway?
I really like the lines of the car and equally I am in a quandary as to whether or not this fitment will detract somewhat from these. On a black/dark blue car, I don't see this being an issue as they will blend in, but Akoya might not take to them as kindly.

Thoughts appreciated.

Darren

Darren,

They're easy enough to fit and don't seem to have distorted the window rubbers on mine (they have been fitted for 2 years now). The rears need to be stuck in with double sided tape as otherwise they'll just fall out when you open a window. I don't find that they impair visability at all tbh.

The reason I went for the rears as well is to maintain the lines of the car, and I don't regret doing that :)

Ian

hello Mr.c i would like to share my views on these as i have had them on for about 7 months.
no1 they fit really well, they do push on the rubber seals but I'm sure if i was to remove them then the rubber would move back.

no2 i find the rears are fine i have never had them come loose-but i never have the rear glass down so that may be different if you have the glass down. the rears come with metal clips that are just to wide to fit-i squashed my ones in a vice so they were easier to fit,only never refitted them as on fitting them prior to squashing the clip snapped the deflector.i repaired the broken piece with super glue and cotton. the idea with the clip is to stop the deflector getting pushed into the car with the glass down. this then brakes the bond of the double sided tape.

no3 in my opinion yes they are good quality they certainly arrive well packaged. they have kept looking nice in the time i have had them.

no4 they may affect the view around the already wide pillar--but i cant say it has caused any problems.probably as we are all to aware of the wide pillars already.

i like the look of them on the car i think it adds to the lines-I'm sure not all will agree. i think just having the fronts looks odd-reminds me of the ones my granddad had on his old rover many years ago! i think they would look great on your silver car Darren(Ian has them on his lovely silver a2). if you or anyone else is thinking about fitting these then the only thing i changed was i removed the standard double sided tape and replaced it with 3m double sided tape the entire length of the deflector-plus i used cleaner on the rubber strip to help the glue bond better.
one thing that you may encounter is the electric windows going tight and re opening a few inches. i had suffered with this but only on the drivers side glass- i got over this with a good application of Mr sheen.

go on Darren you know you want them!! mikee

Darren, you may regret. I was like you before trying them
Nobody is talking about the anti-pinch security ... remember this.
You'll lose more than you'll win

Darren, you may regret. I was like you before trying them
Nobody is talking about the anti-pinch security ... remember this.
You'll lose more than you'll win

please read my post i know its long but i do talk about it. cheers mike

Hi
First of all, excuse my poor (french-)English :D

So my advice is to keep far from this gadget ;)

Thanks ariles for your very comprehensive reply - you're English is very good and not lost in translation. Your experience is certainly on the negative side, but I appreciate your honesty and will bare your pointers in mind.

The reason I went for the rears as well is to maintain the lines of the car, and I don't regret doing that :)

Ian

Thanks Ian - TBH I had forgotten that you had these fitted. Agree with you - "if" I decide to take the plunge, I would consider the rears as an essential to maintain the lines/flow of the design.

Hope all is well with you mate - must be around a year since we last got together?!

go on Darren you know you want them!! mikee

Not convinced yet Mike, but many thanks for your very full reply in answer to all points. Perhaps I will have an in depth look at yours/Ian's at the next social before committing myself either way.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian - TBH I had forgotten that you had these fitted. Agree with you - "if" I decide to take the plunge, I would consider the rears as an essential to maintain the lines/flow of the design.

Hope all is well with you mate - must be around a year since we last got together?!

Not convinced yet Mike, but many thanks for your very full reply in answer to all points. Perhaps I will have an in depth look at yours/Ian's at the next social before committing myself either way.

Indeed it must've been the curry meet in Feb last year! Hope the house move situation has been resolved :) I'm just busy with the Arosa at the moment, got about a month to get the lil one finished :eek:

Hope to catch up with you again soon!

Well Darren i have been toy with the same thing for some time and well i've decided to for these off Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A2-Hatch...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

They are not Heko but for the price its not a massive chunk if you don't like them not like Heko

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

I had seen these too mate - the price between these and the Heko's is on a fairly level playing field, so I guess it is down to your individual view on style/quality etc... at the end of the day.

I really haven't made up my mind on this one - but I do hanker to be able to open the window on the move again. As great as the climate is there is nothing like a bit of fresh air on a summers day.

The "helicopter syndrome" is my only real gripe with the A2 in terms of design, ownership and functionality.

Hope you are ok too bud?!

Darren

Indeed it must've been the curry meet in Feb last year! Hope the house move situation has been resolved :) I'm just busy with the Arosa at the moment, got about a month to get the lil one finished :eek:

Hope to catch up with you again soon!

We are staying put mate. House prices became a joke, my re-location got shelved and I have more-or-less just had to re-apply for my own job - again.

A daily commute to Brum beckons again from April, but I am grateful to still have a job at the end of the day.

Catch you soon mate and I will make a track day at some point.

Regards,

Darren

Yes still milling around, Cheryl doesn't really like the CC on to much she gets cold easy so a bit of fresh air is nice but, like you said you don't want that helicopter over you at the same time, plus sometimes its nice to open the rears to let a bit in for the pouch in the back but same thing. will let you know how i get on when they come

Cheers Phil

I've had these on for a fair while. The 'anti-pinch' tends to come into force upon first installation and is remedied by a simple solution that is included in the instructions for those who care to read them.

I found that the rears would come lose but I did not install the metal clips that were supplied specifically for the rears, primarily because the instructions for fitting them were so poor and I couldn't figure it out. The front ones are much more tight-fitting and secure as a solitary refinement without need for further retention aids.

One of the rears came out while I was doing motorway speeds with the rear window open. Now I just use the fronts, which are handy for letting air in without using air-con. I use them occassionally and that is why they are still installed. If they weren't getting used then I would have taken them out.

Recommend to others? Yes.

DC, open the opposing rear window a touch - this solves the chopper-noise and your car doesn't end up looking like an Akoya post-box :D

I had heard this works Chris - not so practical on the move though; however with retro fit rear electrics on the other hand... mmm... ;)

Hi Phil,

I had seen these too mate - the price between these and the Heko's is on a fairly level playing field, so I guess it is down to your individual view on style/quality etc... at the end of the day.

I really haven't made up my mind on this one - but I do hanker to be able to open the window on the move again. As great as the climate is there is nothing like a bit of fresh air on a summers day.

The "helicopter syndrome" is my only real gripe with the A2 in terms of design, ownership and functionality.

Hope you are ok too bud?!

Darren

Hi Darren just thought i would let you know my deflectors came to day and guess what?????????

They are all packaged up with Heko all over them so they are one and the same. Great delivery from them as well as they came from Germany

Cheers Phil

Hi Darren just thought i would let you know my deflectors came to day and guess what?????????

They are all packaged up with Heko all over them so they are one and the same. Great delivery from them as well as they came from Germany

Cheers Phil

:D

Hope you are pleased with your purchase mate - assuming that you now have a job for the weekend, you will have to post some before and after shots.

You certainly are lavishing some attention and money on the A2 of late - you have the modding bug me thinks?!

Hope Cheryl isn't feeling left out... ;)

Well not sure weather they will get fitted over the weekend as GY Audi have it at the moment for the hinges, so it depends on when i get it back.
Always had the modding bug + next thing is a new style key

Cheers Phil

PS Will take some photos and post them on here

I Must admit i like the look of the Heko deflectors and i think they look great on Ians car
but the fact the rear ones tend to fall off puts me off a bit ......

Back