Help!! Cruise control issue!

the guru

Hi

My cruise control has never worked on my car since I got it (its a 1.4 TDI) and I thought it was just down to me being thick!! I keep pressing the button and reading the manual but never seem to be able to get it to work.
The other day whilst parked on some services I kicked off the cover on the accelerator pedal and found what looks like a broken wire that should go to some kind of sensor or something on the floor and appears to have been repaired in the past but has broken off again. Is this what makes the cruise control work and can I repair it? Would I be able to just solder a wire in between the 2 broken sections and would this fix the problem?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Si.:confused:

Please post some photos - the cruise system isn't directly wired to the accelerator pedal, but a broken wire from it (the pedal) will not help matters.

A photo, or decription of the wire colours will help no end.

Cheers,

Mike

Please post some photos - the cruise system isn't directly wired to the accelerator pedal, but a broken wire from it (the pedal) will not help matters.

A photo, or decription of the wire colours will help no end.

Cheers,

Mike

hope this helps... The ring connector appears to have been soldered onto the pedal at some point and the black thing on the floor has a rubber cap with a hole in the centre and a frayed piece of wire (sadly no colour) sticking out of it.

I am still none the wiser as to why the cruise control doesn't work... I've checked all fuses etc and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong. I've tested the system by revving up to 2000rpm and applying the brake and the engine drops down to approx 1200rpm so it does appear to work to some degree.

answers on a postcard please!!:D

Si:)

I think that this is unrelated.

You need to find somone in your area that has diagnostic equipment, as all the functions of the switch can be checked electronically, including the brake and clutch pedal switches too.

I am in Manchester and there are many club members dotted around so equipped.

Let us know where you are and we'll try to help.

Cheers,

Mike

I think that this is unrelated.

You need to find somone in your area that has diagnostic equipment, as all the functions of the switch can be checked electronically, including the brake and clutch pedal switches too.

I am in Manchester and there are many club members dotted around so equipped.

Let us know where you are and we'll try to help.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm In Bury Manchester. To be honest the missing wire thing doesn't appear to affect performance, I just assumed that it may have something to do with the cruise control cos I've never managed to get it working.

If you know anyone who can check it out for me fairly cheaply that would be fantastic. I just wanna get the thing sorted cos I do go on the occasional long trip and cruise control would help immensely. Getting the mrs an A6 fully kitted and i'm inheriting the A2 so i would like it spot on. Currently driving a Corsa so enough said!!!:D

many thanks

Si.

Back