Help me convince my husband...

Hepburn

that an A2 is the car for me!

Not that I need his permission or anything, but in one short sentence, he has made it very difficult for me to go ahead with my purchase. The sentence? "I just feel you and the kids would be safer in a bigger car...".

Background: For various reasons I have only learned to drive in the last year at the age of 35. This car would be my first. I can't tell you how much I love them. I can picture myself driving one and just looking them up on car sites makes me happy. All other cars in my price range leave me cold.

Usage: I am a mother of a 5 year old and a two year old. Car would be used mostly on fairly good main roads and motorways (Live in Ireland, so some roads are truly awful). Live about 15 miles from my mother and 12 miles from college. These journeys would be made most often.

The only issue is safety. I know this site is full of enthusiasts, but if you were in my position with my needs, would you buy an A2?

Thanks all, and I love this site!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply and the info. It's exactly the type of reply I was hoping for needless to say.

Best of luck with your baby. Just as you highly recommend the A2, I highly recommend parenthood!

Thanks again.

Hi Hepburn,

Perhaps your husband needs to list the cars he thinks are safer? The A2 is quite safe, speaking as someone who has experience of an accident in one. I'm not sure if you will find the attached photographs reassuring or not, but I provide them as graphic evidence of how an A2 stands up when involved in a fairly spectacular accident. This was not my accident I hasten to add!

John.

Attachments

• Exhibit1.jpg
    Exhibit1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 318
  • Exhibit2.jpg
    Exhibit2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 313
Hello Hepburn
We drive our A2 with our two kids aged under 3 in it all the time and I'm happy enough with the safety the A2 provides. In fact we traded down from a bigger car with the arrival of the 2nd one - size is not everything when it comes to safety. There are many bigger cars that are percieved to be "safe" simply because they're big, when in fact they're appalling (the above mentioned Chrysler, older Renault Espace two name but two popular family luggers). Likewise, some small cars are incredibly crash-resistant (the Smart4Two is a fantastic survival cell, and I'd happily crash in a Lotus Elise).

Yes, some of the very modern cars are getting NCAP 5 star ratings, so if safety is the absolute and only question, search the internet for those. However, I think the A2 is a well designed piece of kit.

Some A2s had additional optional safety extras - additional side impact airbags I believe?

There are other things you can do to help reduce your chances of having an accident in the first place of course regardless of what car you drive- Institute of Advanced Motoring as mentioned above, or the other "Defensive driving" courses will both help you not get into situations in the first place (and will help lower your insurance premium).

Other things - well I always drive with dipped beam on even during the day just to make myself more visable to others. Get good tyres and keep them properly inflated. Check your brakes now and then.

The worst thing though - driving whilst tired. 50x times more likely to crash on a fast urban road/dual carriageway/motorway than when not tired, vs just a 5x times greater risk when drunk. worth bearing in mind as a sleep-deprived parent ;)

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. The advice about Advanced Driving skills is very interesting. I also read a study which said brightly coloured cars are 10% less likely to be in an accident, so that is something I will keep in mind when searching.

I have been looking at the Skoda Roomster too. It's no A2, that's for sure, but it is quirky and very practical.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. My husband read them all.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. The advice about Advanced Driving skills is very interesting. I also read a study which said brightly coloured cars are 10% less likely to be in an accident, so that is something I will keep in mind when searching.

I have been looking at the Skoda Roomster too. It's no A2, that's for sure, but it is quirky and very practical.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. My husband read them all.

Go for the A2 the roomsters are well............................... not a good car you would be far better in a A2 i traded down from a Ford Focus that i had a very big accident in and it stood up very well but after 2yrs i was bored with the car and 2yrs is a long time for me to have a car, the A2 i've had for 2yrs now and i don't see it going anywhere soon they get under your skin and you and the kids will love it, Go on go for it, there are people on here that will help you and advise you on any cars you've got your eye on aswell

Cheers Phil

And speaking about safety: The less weight on the car the faster it breaks. From this point of view, aluminum case is a real benefit. :)

The advice about Advanced Driving skills is very interesting. I also read a study which said brightly coloured cars are 10% less likely to be in an accident, so that is something I will keep in mind when searching.Anyway, thanks again for the replies. My husband read them all.

Any verdict yet Hepburn? Has hubby capitulated and agreed to let you have an A2? I hope so! :D
From my point of view, the A2 is the perfect little car. Theres plenty room for the kids, 2 isofix points and some excellent safety features as has been covered already by ULP, and though you will find cars for similar money with a higher crash test rating, the A2 feels incredibly solid for its dimensions.
With regards to the comments on advanced driving and avoiding accidents - whilst I hope you are never on the recieving end of a vehicle collision, being a careful driver does not remove the hazard of other drivers!
I have completed several advanced driving courses through my work and was still involved in a nasty smash due to anothers carelesness!:D
I would in part attribute my minor injuries to the fact I was driving an Audi (not the A2 I'm glad to say!!:D)
I hope you get your wish and buy yourself an A2! What a fine first car and if you need any help finding a good one, there'll be plenty assistance from forum members ;)

Last edited:
Hello all. Thanks for all your help so far. Just to update, we are definitely getting an A2...:D

Spotted this little number very near us so hope to take it for a spin soon. I am a bit wary of buying from a private seller though. My husband's 02 Audi A6 has been in and out of the garage a few times in the first 6 months with little niggly problems, which were all covered of course.

I would be interested to see what you think of the price. €6,700 = £5,973

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A2/200916192491287/advert

Looks a nice enough car but I think it's expensive considering the age, mileage and relatively low spec.

Graham

Looks a nice enough car but I think it's expensive considering the age, mileage and relatively low spec.

Graham

Agree with Graham.

This is a base model with no climate control - which if you are anything like me and constantly fiddle with the heater controls - is a god send.

Pleased to hear that hubby has given you the green light - don't rush out and buy the first one that you see though - unless of course it is too good to be true.

Post any that you find and the regular guru's Chris, (ULP) and Murdo will no doubt advise. Alternatively given recent events - you might be better placed to send them a PM.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the fold.

Darren

Hello all. Thanks for all your help so far. Just to update, we are definitely getting an A2...:D

Spotted this little number very near us so hope to take it for a spin soon. I am a bit wary of buying from a private seller though. My husband's 02 Audi A6 has been in and out of the garage a few times in the first 6 months with little niggly problems, which were all covered of course.

I would be interested to see what you think of the price. €6,700 = £5,973

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A2/200916192491287/advert

Brilliant! I'm delighted you are getting an A2!! Cars in Eire do seem to be very expensive compared to the UK - what are the legalities of buying one here and driving it home? For pricing advice on Irish cars it maybe worthwhile getting in touch with regular A2OC poster ksimpson from Dublin, who has a couple of Audi's. For general buying advice we'll be delighted to assist get you into an A2!:D

Last edited:
Just dropping in to say we are considering taking a trip over to have a look at this baby: http://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/cardetails.php?t=sims&u=4789

Dealer is very approachable and seems straight up. It wouldn't be my ideal colour, although I have a feeling it is nicer in reality as the colour changes with the light. However I love that it has the child friendly leather interior and also that third seatbelt in the back for occasional use. It has had the cam belt changed recently and comes with a full service history.

Any thoughts, especially on the price?

P.S I had been keeping my eye on a Jaipur Red model for sale in the UK, and just when I decided I would be brave enough to drive it, it sold....to someone from Dublin! Now it will pass me by at some stage......:rolleyes:

Its a nice looking car. The colour is Pine Green. Very distinctive and quite rare now. This car also has a great spec. with leather, symphony sounds and bench seat. I like the history quoted and its often a good sign when people are going back to the same garage and they are selling on the stock again. As to price - this isnt out the way for a car of that spec, especially if the cambelt is changed. Make sure a warranty is supplied and provided youre not trading in I would still want a haggle. The top trade price on the car at that miles ( and no extra options) is £3700 so I'd imagine them paying around £4k for it. If it is serviced inc cambelt, MOT'd and valeted I'd try for a £500 discount and see what they say. :D

Back