Help required please ! Failed to get to 200k club ?

Afternoon A2 fans

I not having a good day !!! Typing this up on the side of the m40 at 5.00pm will waiting for the tow truck ...

1.4 ATL TDI 66kw

So the red oil pressure Light and warning buzzer went off at 70.mph , no other warning , noises , lights etc .

Pull up very quick onto the hard shoulder , rather nasty rattle from driver side of the engine , turned off engine ... within about 15 seconds of the light coming on

So lack of oil pressure, Motor way speeds and nasty rattle , not looking good is it ...

Need help and advise on this folks , only had the car 4 weeks , done a full service 1.9k miles ago including good long life oil and filters

This following my other A2 being written off in May and I really , really like the car

Hoping this is the oil pump ... really want this to be a easy fix , but expecting the very worst news at this time ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 341
Really sorry to hear this and I hope you get home safe. What generally happens with an oil pump failure is that continued use over a short distance can seize the engine. If you pulled over straight away hopefully any issues can be fixed and I hope this is the case.

Cheers

Dave.

What a nightmare, hope it’s not too bad and you got home ok!

Good to see someone with some sense away from the carriageway & behind a barrier

Morning chaps

Having finaly got myself and the car back home , and spent a fair amount of time reading up , I think the following has happened .

Oil pump / counter balance chain tensor has failed , leading to the chain skipping over the teeth of the sockets for the oil pump and counter balancer , hence why he vibration while slowing down in neutral from motorway speeds

Durning the reading , via this trusted site , if the engine locks up it’s game over for the engine , I can happy say , mine did not lock up , and was still runnning when I turned it off after 15 seconds , a bit , sounding like a bag of spanner’s

So parts wise.
New oil pump
New chain
New sprockets for crank , counter blance , oil pump
New tensioner for chain
Oil filter
Oil change
Crank oil seal

Further works , while your in the ongoing hell

Water pump
Cam belt
Cam belt tensioner
Drive belt
Drive belt tensioner

A rather large tool kit , including can belt lock kit , crank locking spanner’s etc

While I can do a lot of this works , the innner workings of the interference fit sprockets , fitting the crank shaft seal etc is a massive step up , combined with a couple of hundred quid for tools means , which I will only use the once , I am out of my depth here

I do have a huge pile of tools , jacks , breaker bars , gear pullers and have swapped over many engines , but we going back to the days of fords from the early 80s and earlier minis from the 70s

So folks

Looking for help ,at least in part , for a day , once I have striped down , the car to get to the gubbins , and would be happy to provide food , drinks and banter ,along with a helping hand , I would of course happily pay for this experience gained and my new skills

Any takers in south Derbyshire, or recommend place to get the car fixed .

Kind regards

Last edited:
I recently replaced a lot of the parts you are faced with for this job but did it with the engine completely out of the car which mean't I had unobstructed access to the end face of the block and could put the engine on it's side to get at the underside. If you are going to do this with engine in the car do not underestimate what a pig of a job it will be with limited access and working underneath with oil constantly dripping down - if you can afford for WOM to do the job then that will be by far the least stressful route.

If you do decide to do it I can loan you the cambelt locking tools and the crank holding tool.

Simon.

a2Hesse just did something remarkably like this on his project over on the German site, and his comment was exactly as sco's: much easier with the engine out of the car.

- Bret

WOM did almost exactly this on Project X just over a year ago for me - it was thought to be a lost cause, but actually ended up being quite reasonably priced in the end.

Marcus is great with the spanners :) With the bonus that they're not very far from you :)

This happening is my great fear with the atl - seems its not all that uncommon. I did contact WOM about doing this within a day and they couldnt commit to it as they were uncertain about being able to get it all done within the single day.

if you do use Rob and Marcus @ WOM please update on how you get on.

Morning all

I do think this is do-able on the drive , but would agree , engine out and on a stand

Will speak the WOM durIng the day , let’s face it , some jobs are just to big for the drive way

Leftfield suggestion.. if you are handy on teh spanners can you get the engine out and then around to WOM for the clever schizzle, the put it back in yourself?

Does this apply to the AMF TDI as well ? i'm on 281000 miles and this chain has showed no obvious signs of impending failure

Back