I’m back 1.4 or 1.6

Tazio

A2OC Donor
Hello there up until 2 years ago I had a lovely a2 tdi it really was one of the best general purpose cars I have owned I purchased it in imaculate condition with special equipment from wom autos about 5 years ago ....never missed a beat then sadly 2 years ago I went sailing up on the north Norfolk coast , unfortunately there was a 7 metre storm surge that evening and mine and several other cars were flooded in the car park ..so sadly boris was no more !!. I decided to go For something different and purchased a late convertible smart car anyway even though the smart is a much later car I want to sell it and purchase a nice low mileage a2 again ..however Petrol this time so the choice is either a 1.4 or 1.6 fsi. I have read a lot about the fsi engine being troublesome but would be nice to get some owner feedback , I don’t want to buy a load of trouble so the standard 1.4 maybe the better choice but It would be great to get some real owner feedback on these models ! Fuel consumption and also reliability ! to be honest I won’t be driving the a2 hard and it will be a general purpose run about with the occasional distance trip doing around 12,000 a year .
Thanks in advance ....

You will get a lot of answers on this one I'm sure.

I have a 1.4i that we rescued. It isn't the most interesting engine but it gets the job done - usual age-related maintenance things like throttle body cleaning, EGR valve replacement, exhaust, belts, but beyond that it seems pretty robust. There was a recent post from someone who got a full length stainless exhaust done that seemed to have increased the power output by a significant amount, which could be interesting if I had the cash. We get around 35mpg on ours but that is mostly commuting on short runs.

You will hear two points of view on the 1.6 ; superb when it is working properly; and / or very prone to trivial but difficult to trace engine light issues relating to sensors and a poorly engineered intake component that breaks off and stops the FSi stuff working properly. If you're lucky - or brave and good with spanners - it seems to be an interesting choice. Faster and possibly more economical than the 1.4i but as a non-owner it seems a bit risky.

Finally 1.4tdi 75. I have one of these as my own car - seems fairly bulletproof even with a map that makes it a bit pokier than standard, 55mpg without breaking into sweat, I do around 10-12k per year myself.

Finally - there appears now to be a reason not to be scared of OpenSky any more - Kleynie here is able to repair and replace OSS systems.

Hi. It will turn out to be something obvious, but what exactly does "FSI" stand for? Also, what sort of mileage do owners of 1.4 petrols get on a run?

Cheers, LG.

Hello there up until 2 years ago I had a lovely a2 tdi it really was one of the best general purpose cars I have owned I purchased it in imaculate condition with special equipment from wom autos about 5 years ago ....never missed a beat then sadly 2 years ago I went sailing up on the north Norfolk coast , unfortunately there was a 7 metre storm surge that evening and mine and several other cars were flooded in the car park ..so sadly boris was no more !!. I decided to go For something different and purchased a late convertible smart car anyway even though the smart is a much later car I want to sell it and purchase a nice low mileage a2 again ..however Petrol this time so the choice is either a 1.4 or 1.6 fsi. I have read a lot about the fsi engine being troublesome but would be nice to get some owner feedback , I don’t want to buy a load of trouble so the standard 1.4 maybe the better choice but It would be great to get some real owner feedback on these models ! Fuel consumption and also reliability ! to be honest I won’t be driving the a2 hard and it will be a general purpose run about with the occasional distance trip doing around 12,000 a year .
Thanks in advance ....

Hi there Tazio ...

I have no experience with the 1.6 but here's my story with the 1.4.
I bought my 1.4 SE BBY Petrol new in 2002 and have driven it for 190 000 miles ... just routine maintenance and long life service intervals.
I do my own servicing and change the fuel filter along with disks and pads every two years or so, probably overkill but can always find an offer on Brembo replacements if I look ... still on original rear drums but changed the shoes and cylinders a couple of years ago.
I use Castrol Edge 5W30 Synthetic Long Life Oil and always original Bosch filters, probably start doing an annual service now the miles are racking up ... usually have to top up the oil every six months with half a litre.
450 miles to the tank full of petrol ... to the warning light and about 36 litres per fill.
Belts and water pump changed routinely every 75 000 miles and the clutch at 150 000 by a trusted independent mechanic.
Just one scare this September when the car started to hesitate but my own fault ... issues down to a combination of not having the Throttle Body recalibrated on VCDS (after cleaning it) and damaging the brake wear wire reversing off a kerb :oops:

Car off the road now having a good overhaul and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon :D
Good luck and hope you find a suitable A2 ...

Last edited:
Hi, I've had a 1.4 and two 1.6s (and currently still have one)

FSI stands for Fuel Stratified Injection or Fuel Straight Injection, but i'm afraid that i can't explain the detail of how it works.

They are both very different cars - the 1.4 is not the speediest, but perfectly fine. In the main, parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

The 1.6. is what i would describe as a bit of a character. They are fun to drive and pretty quick. I've just had a stainless steel exhaust put on mine and whilst she isn't quite as much fun as my old Mk 2 Golf GTi used to be, she is not too far behind.

However, they are not the car to get if you are bothered by the EML being on. Mine came on two days after i got her and has been on 80% of the 2.5 years i have owned her. If something goes wrong, it tends to go wrong big time. I had two cylinders re-bored and a new head gasket last year. Parts can be tricky to find and/or expensive.

If i was buying, i would probably go for a 1.4 for practicality, but have a suspicion that i may start to hanker after a 1.6 again.

I think the only answer is to get both! :)

Ps - in terms of fuel economy, since i had the stainless steel exhaust, i get just over 100 miles per 1/4 tank on general runs (she does not like lots of short town runs - you have to let a 1.6 have a good run every now and then). Its about 50 miles extra per tank

Blimy 450 miles to 36lts on Petrol that’s nearly as good as Boris !.

About 55 miles to the gallon and seems to get better with age ... I usually run with the back seats removed to transport my road bike, that saves a fair amount of weight ... tyre pressures at 32 lbs front and 28 lbs at the rear, not that I'm obsessive ;)

This will be an interesting thread for me. I still think if I go for one that it will be a 1.4td, however, I am slightly intrigued by this ealy petrol one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Pity about the horrible steel spike through the roof, visible in the 2nd to last pic! Still not to be too picky. I like the colour and don't mind a cassette player. Lowish miles and cam belt done. They don't say if the roof actually works but even if it doesn't it must make the interior nice and light.

From the post above, 450 on 36lts comes out at 56mpg, (still imperial here,) which isn't too shabby at all.

LG.

And whilst I was typing my last reply Tom comes back pointing out that he removes the rear seats to carry his road bike, exactly as I'd be doing!

FSI, "Fuel Stratified Injection". THanks for that. It was the middle "S" I couldn't figure out.

LG.

This will be an interesting thread for me. I still think if I go for one that it will be a 1.4td, however, I am slightly intrigued by this ealy petrol one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-2001-1-4-5-Door/392184243004?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Pity about the horrible steel spike through the roof, visible in the 2nd to last pic! Still not to be too picky. I like the colour and don't mind a cassette player. Lowish miles and cam belt done. They don't say if the roof actually works but even if it doesn't it must make the interior nice and light.

From the post above, 450 on 36lts comes out at 56mpg, (still imperial here,) which isn't too shabby at all.

LG.

That's about right ... still use imperial myself ... most journeys are 35 mile trips on B roads with very little use of the brakes.

And whilst I was typing my last reply Tom comes back pointing out that he removes the rear seats to carry his road bike, exactly as I'd be doing!

FSI, "Fuel Stratified Injection". THanks for that. It was the middle "S" I couldn't figure out.

LG.

FSI is a neat way of injecting the fuel and producing a different burn profile to allow improved economy when not pushing hard. It’s very clever. Shaped piston heads and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. It will turn out to be something obvious, but what exactly does "FSI" stand for? Also, what sort of mileage do owners of 1.4 petrols get on a run?

Cheers, LG.
FSI? You ask a dangerous question. Diesel heads will come up with all kinds of disparaging answers. To give you the flavour at its crudest level 'FSI=F****** Stupid Idea'.

Please no more guys we don't want the thread to degenerate in a host of one liners.

Andy

PS? I have two FSI's.

Reactions: fbi

LG.
Not only is my car vintage ... my road bike is a 1988 Ellis Briggs Reynolds 653 ... must be the only rider with an aluminium car and a steel bike :D

Fondo and Bike 2017 021.jpg

the 1.4 is more trouble-free than the 1.6. 1.6 demands 98 grade fuel. Consumption? Long term I'm a tick over 6l/100, with runs below 6, and I've seen less than 5.5 in certain circumstances. That translates back to 46 to 56 mpg or so. Not as good as the Octavia (!) but not bad. 420km to a tank and the light coming on. Original 34l tank, though.

If the EML MoT guidelines are tightened, it will be the death knell for many FSIs.

- Bret

@Tomscar - how the hell can you get the same economy as my 1.4tdi with your 1.4i? Incredible .. :) We've also got the 36L tank in the 1.4i and never get more than 250-odd miles (granted, there's probably still a way to go with cleaning up the way our one runs despite the throttle body, EGR, new exhaust / lambda and so on).

p.s - 70s Raleigh Arena commuting bike and an A2 - another mixed-metals commuting combination!

@Tomscar - how the hell can you get the same economy as my 1.4tdi with your 1.4i? Incredible .. :) We've also got the 36L tank in the 1.4i and never get more than 250-odd miles (granted, there's probably still a way to go with cleaning up the way our one runs despite the throttle body, EGR, new exhaust / lambda and so on).

p.s - 70s Raleigh Arena commuting bike and an A2 - another mixed-metals commuting combination!

Hi Robin ... mine has the 42 litre tank ... I fill and run it down to the warning bleeps and guess that leaves a further 5 or 6 litres, doesn't really do any start stop journeys but I am always disappointed if the light comes on too early :)

Hi Robin ... mine has the 42 litre tank ... I fill and run it down to the warning bleeps and guess that leaves a further 5 or 6 litres, doesn't really do any start stop journeys but I am always disappointed if the light comes on too early :)

Just put the starter motor back and was going to post this picture in the 'What I done today ... '
390 miles and still around a quarter of a tank to go :D
IMG_0555.JPG

Back