Is it really necessary? ARB

I've got the dreaded creeking noise and high impact sounds when going over the smallest bumps. All posts on here point to replacing the anti roll bar and the bushes plus the drop links.

But is it really necessary to drop the subframe to change the ARB bar?

Regards,

Mark

I don't believe it's necessary, no.

I actually just bought two VW Polo bushes (£5.08 the pair), undid the clamps and removed the split and broken items, inserted the VW bushes and did up the clamps. Took me about 1 hour per side - instructions on here.

Been fine for 10,000 miles so far.

Might be worth a try. Audi were not interested in warranty claim.

Alan

yes don't think thats necessary should just unbolt, but i would say your clunk will probably be anti-roll bar bushes,+ one other thing to remember that your car is aluminium and as such sounds are some what louder so what you may think is a loud sound it maybe amplifed some what.
Had a clunk from my front end after MOT they said it was the ARB bushes but all it was was the collar had come out common fault (VW 1's fix that) but just tapped it back in all sorted for now till i get the VW 1's put in (just to stop it in the future)

Cheers Phil

Thank you very much guys for your replies. After delving further into the clubs archives I found that there are two types of ARBs. Im not sure what type I have fitted the car is 02 reg. Say if I had the earlier type of ARB could I just change the bushes without dropping the subframe?

Many Thanks,

Mark

You could, yes, but the latter type has small additional pieces to stop lateral movement of the bushes, so you'd have to take this into account too. It's pity that to change the ARB does require the removal of the subframe, as the part itself is pretty cheap, at £70. Labour is the killer in this job.

Cheers,

Mike

It's one of the more reasonably priced parts.

Here's one that;s not reasonable though (might make for another thread this):

When I took the dash out over Xmas, I broke the top lug on the ridged coin holder in the glovebox - combination of extreme cold and too much porridge!

Anyway, how much do you reckon for this little piece of plastic? No, double it - £13!!! Yes, thats right - thirteen quid for that little piece.

Outrageous!

Cheers,

Mike

Bloody liberty!! :eek:

Hey Mike that ELSA win dvd arrived! its awesome! Better than a Haynes manual.

Thank you for the advice. No doubt I'll have more queries as I go along.

Try the smaller and far cheaper Polo ARB bushes before you consider changing the ARB. It worked for me and others.

Hi Ken,

I was considering those polyutherane bushes instead of normal rubber ones, but at £30 each best for me to try the polo ones first.

Many Thanks,

Mark

Try the smaller and far cheaper Polo ARB bushes before you consider changing the ARB. It worked for me and others.

yep .this is what i did. i was worried the roll bar may move from side to side but its never happend after 10000 miles and it gets a lot of use over speed bumps here with town driving.

go the polo bush route...

Has someone got a part number for these please? Are these dealer parts or can I get from a local motor factors if so, I need to know what year of polo to ask for.

Many Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Spike for the link, I am popping up to see my local VW dealer today to get the bushes. Have nylon washers and jubille clips ready too :)

Got the ARB bushes today from VW, got my nylon washers to hold them in place, got a box of jubilee clips somewhere. I can't wait to do this fix. Hopefully do it Saturday :)

Thanks Spike for the link, I am popping up to see my local VW dealer today to get the bushes. Have nylon washers and jubille clips ready too :)

Where did you get the nylon washers and do they have a part number? Incidentally I'd use stainless steel 316 jubilee clips, otherwise they'll rust in no time.

Wife's A2 1.4 TDi is on 80k and has never had this job done. I also need to do the rear drums. Were fine last summer, but probably down to minimum shoe thickness by now.

It's pity that to change the ARB does require the removal of the subframe, as the part itself is pretty cheap, at £70. Labour is the killer in this job.

Mike

Does that mean a 4 wheel alignment is needed?

Also, I was quoted 1.5 hours for this job, which is more than I was expecting (I thought the old ARB could slide out) but 1.5 hours feel too little to drop the sub-frame (and put it back)

No you don't need a wheel alignment after doing the ARB bushes. 1.5 hours seems very long - on my previous Audi I did both front and rears by myself in under an hour...

No you don't need a wheel alignment after doing the ARB bushes. 1.5 hours seems very long - on my previous Audi I did both front and rears by myself in under an hour...

Hi Dan
For the 2004 and prior models we are talking about changing the complete ARB not just the bushes. And to change the ARB Mike says the sub-frame has to be dropped.

This thread http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6341 says wheel alignment is probably not required if care is taken to replace the sub-frame in exactly the same place (using the clean areas where the mounts are as a guide).

Yes I was talking about complete bar replacements front and rear with new bushes and droplinks too. Did it on a ramp with the car on its wheels so you dont have to move anything as it all stays in situ under the weight of the car. Cant see how an A2 would be any different.

Back