Is the MPG really 65.7 combined on the tdi?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ros3s

Hi,

New to the site and just bought an Audi A2. I really loved the car and found the added bonus is the MPG. I bought the 1.4 TDI SE.

I am expecting to do around 1500 - 2000 miles a month on business. What can i expect? Seeing as your all A2 drivers please can i have some reviews of what i can expect on the MPG. The stats seem brilliant.

Thanks

Ros3s

You might want to check out the thread "TDi 90 economy" on page 2. It has some numbers on it.
I bought my TDi 90 from new and its consumption is worse than I expected - but I'm assured (see the thread) that it will improve as the engine runs it. I think it already has got better after 2000 miles - I can get 53 (pump to pump) mpg on my commute to work which is 4 miles on B roads and 5 miles on dual carriageway. I hope to get 60 on a good motorway run, I'll try soon. But these guys are saying I should be able to beat that with a well run in engine and a light foot. Cold weather also hits the economy a few mpg I think.
Enjoy!

Hi Ros3s,

Welcome to the forum. Is it a 75 or 90bhp version? I drive the 75bhp version, average a little under 1000miles per month, and get around 56mpg. The reason for the low figures are weight (have leather, skyroof and bi boots), plus most of my daily journeys are through heavyish traffic.

Kaine

I have now covered just over 15,000 miles and I get 50 mpg on the work run - 7 miles on A roads, about 2 of which is dual carriageway, rest stop start and climate on all the time. Longer runs sees this up to mid 50s, even driving hard - I averaged 72 mph on a recent run from Cardiff to Leeds (230 miles) and still managed 55 mpg.

I may need some driving lessons...?! I'm getting just under 50mpg in my 75 TDi. Some of this is on a mostly empty dual carriageway, and some in town. The thing is, when I'm sat at 80mph on the carriageway the DIS reads about 42-45mpg. I thought that 'motorway-style' driving would have been more economical that town 'stop-start' driving? And yeah, I've got the climate switched off! I'm happy with my fuel consumption, but some of you seem to be doing better than me...

Any tips on eco-driving anyone?!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

My first tankful in a new 90bhp tdi has averaged 58mpg - very satisfied, particularly given the spirited performance and what is undoubtedly a "tight" engine. Like Mark, I anticipate an improvement.

Regards
Ian - 2004 1.4 tdi se 90bhp, prev 1.4 se petrol

Eco driving? Drive slowly, change gear at lowest revs (eg <2000). Keep the momentum at all costs ie don't brake! Keep the tyre pressures up and the climate off. Much more fun than going fast.
Ian - 58 is pretty impressive, let us know how much it improves. If I drove mine "spiritedly" I reckon I'd get high 40s. Is this "real" or what the DIS says?

Phil,

You should be getting at least the same figures to me really (same spec car). What other differences could there be? Tyres? Occupants weight?:) Me driving like an old man?? :). Anything else??

Kaine

I have the 1.4 petrol and my A2 career best is 360 miles on around 30 litres of fuel which works out as 55 mpg. My average is 45 mpg with regular 50mpg tankfuls. I would hope you diesil guys would do much better. In the past I am sure people on this forum were claiming over 70 mpg with the 75 bhp oil burner.

Mark
Mostly solo driving and lowish revs in view of the newness of the engine (600miles). My reference to spirited performance relates to the excellent torque of this unit, particularly noticeable after 45k miles in a 1.4 petrol A2 (which averaged mid 40's mpg).

Regards
Ian

quote:Originally posted by Phil

I have the 1.4 petrol and my A2 career best is 360 miles on around 30 litres of fuel which works out as 55 mpg. My average is 45 mpg with regular 50mpg tankfuls. I would hope you diesil guys would do much better. In the past I am sure people on this forum were claiming over 70 mpg with the 75 bhp oil burner.

I still get high 60's and sometimes 70's on some runs, however to be honest, my average is high 50's mainly

Kaine

My best overall was 72 mpg (several times)on a motorway run over 200 miles. I average between 55 - 65 during normal running which is mixed mileages town and motorway. Some may say that if you turn off the climate (i.e. econ button) it may improve. DON'T DO IT! Its neglible and you are more likley to attract a fungal smell when you turn it back on and wear out the compressor. I leave mine on all the time

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

I need driving lessons too, I guess. And math lessons. I know this is an English forum, but all this miles and gallons stuff means very little to me.

Anyway, if I work with 1 mile = 1.6 kilometer and 1 gallon = 3.78 liter then I usually get about 43mpg. That's about 70 miles daily (weekdays), 45% at about 60mph, 45% at 80+mph, 10% city.
Hasn't really changed since chipping the thing. To my feeling, I'm not thrashing it all the time. I even think that if I drive it any more carefull, I'd resemble a granny on a sunday ;)

Yup, I guess that implies that I think that you must all be driving like grannies on a sunday! Oh dear...

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

x lit/100km = 282,481/x mpg, and vice-versa of course. so 4 lit/100km equals about 70 mpg.
My last year's average was 4,23 l/100km = 66,78 mpg, mostly granny driving, 2003 TDI 75.
for 2004 (up till now) it's 4,56 l/100km = 61,95 mpg, normal driving (but over half of it on
motorways at 75mph/120kmh). Once the revs pass the 2600rpm mark, consumption goes up.
I drove to the south of France, fully laden, at around 90mph/140kmh and achieved 5 l/100km = 56,5 mpg.

Werner
Still good.

Hi,

Well i hope to get some good mileage. Most of mine will be motorway.
I didn't say earlier, but i have the 90 bhp on order.

What tips do you have for me to keep the MPG at a good rate?

Thanks

Ross

Always keep the DIS on current mpg and watch it - if it goes below 50mpg lift your foot off - no seriously, keeping an eye on this will soon show you whats gives you good mpg figures.

Kaine

[37]
Sorry, Brain Fade there......
every schoolboy knows that it is 4.546091879 [8D]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
I am the Fifth Column. I am no longer an A2 owner. The A3 TDI DSG is awesome - yoof influence - I do wear a baseball cap but NOT backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back