Is this handbrake section going to be a problem for all over the months and years to come?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Over the last 6 months or so i'm getting very regular requests for the front section of the handbrake. This is the section that runs from the handbrake lever down under the car and then splits into 2 cables that join to the rear handbrake cables.

DDBE3561-BFF9-49F7-B1FF-70DA1DAB425F.jpeg

I'm guessing these sudden requests are not due to an inherent problem that's suddenly begun happening in the last 6 months, whats caused it is Audi no longer supplying the part new.

The rear section of the cable is readily available from aftermarket suppliers so that's not an issue. As per the photo below you can see that the small section of cable that runs from the lever itself to the rear cables. As with this item that I started to remove today, the cable was rusted, frayed and crumbled on removal.

Ideally, if you've got a good set on yours then you'd coat them in grease and forget about them, but access isn't easy. They are underneath the heat shield that runs along the centre tunnel and the exhaust is in the way.

Ideally what the community needs is the manufacture of replacement cables. Is there anyone out there who has the skills to do so? I can send the unit above to you to help measure things up. Ultimately we are looking at many A2's being unable to get an MOT due to a failed handbrake cable along a very small section of the cable.

First, perhaps Tom @CreweAudi can confirm that the part is indeed no longer available?

Last edited:
Hi @A2Steve

I pretty sure the part your talking about is item 12 on the image below?If so this was made no longer available 01/04/2021 with no dealers in the UK showing stock!

1642522915417.png

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I ordered one from Latvia via eBay back in mid October, delivery was estimated between mid November and 30 December with no tracking on the delivery. It never arrived. I was refunded but months later still no handbrake cable so I wouldn't count on this as being a viable option from my experience.

Ref Steve's picture in post 1, is the frayed/snapped short section of bowden cable the only weak point.

If so, would it not be possible to source a custom made replacement and rebuild the original part.

Cheers Spike

Ref Steve's picture in post 1, is the frayed/snapped short section of bowden cable the only weak point.

If so, would it not be possible to source a custom made replacement and rebuild the original part.

Cheers Spike
Hi Spike/Steve,
It looks like it’s the section where it’s crimped into the sleeve, a short section of Bowden/handbrake cable & a new crimped sleeve would sort this I would think.

Hi @A2Steve

I pretty sure the part your talking about is item 12 on the image below?If so this was made no longer available 01/04/2021 with no dealers in the UK showing stock!

View attachment 90085

Hope this helps.

Thanks
It looks to me as though Part 12 is the guide tube only and does not include the cable (though I thought it was an assembly with pre crimped cable internally).
The AT item at 53 Euro seems to be the complete assembly and pretty good value!

My advice would be to get a group order going from Audi Tradition while they are still available. At 53 euros it’s going to be easier than trying to get one redone using replacement cables which has the ends joined after being threaded through the housing.

I for one would pay what I assume would work out as circa. £60 to have one in reserve just in case.

This is what I meant has opposed to going for the one on eBay at almost double that price

I think I must have got one of the last if not THE last one of these from stock via Tom last year and didn't appreciate how lucky I was at the time. I can confirm that for sure if I hadn't had taken the punt on buying one the car would have been off the road as the cable disintegrated when removed.

Its stuff like this and other essential replacement wearable A2 parts that are going to become bespoke and special order in future now that Audi has stopped supplying.

Last edited:
This forum is amazing!
Sadly it looks like I've missed out on the first order,so can I go on the second order list please.

Back