It was going so well

Tomsk

Hi All,
After looking for a while I have finally got a nice little A2. bought it off Gumtree for a bargain £425. Obviously needs work but has only 68k and had timing belt and water pump change at 48k, just had new clutch, the seller said it had an air issue. Got it home noticed that all the air sensors and egr had all been unplugged, sorted all that out fixed a hole in exhaust. the egr pipe had been cut so took the ends off and welded them up(whoever cut it had just flat plated it)so all done, but still had Mil on. So being an impatient b****r plugged my new vag405 in looking for codes, checked readiness (see pics), then went to engine mode and looked for codes it just hanged, this is the brainstorm moment :oops: I then thought sod it and just wiped the codes, as you can imagine now it won't start and seems like the battery is dead, cannot even lock the car. so any help would be gratefully accepted.
IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

That light relates to the immobiliser which is a little odd. I am sure some FSI ninjas will be on soon to offer more guided advice.

If you can get to battery try and get it charged up, perhaps just very low on power if car not been used much and that will help. Ideally find someone with VCDS near to you to perhaps do a more informed scan.

Good work so far and for rescuing it! Best of luck

Hi @Tomsk this is going to get confusing for me... Welcome along, it's probably nothing apart from a poorly battery, or a faulty CCCU. Like others have said, plug the battery in give it an overnight charge.

I've got to ask where you get your forum name from ...?

Last edited:
Nothing so thoughtful, my names Tom but my mum insisted everyone call me Thomas:mad:, so my uncle called me Tomsk and it just stuck with me. But I am big, but not got a very low IQ, but will tell you different if i've knackered the car.

On the issue with car, battery was fully charged. Was thinking about getting vcds but then thought of the damage I could do with that. Daughter has claimed this car when its fixed, so am on the look out for another for my day to day to and from work, missus won't give up the Kuga and won't even get in the Smart I have.

Welcome to the forum, we'll get you up and running :)

Does the dashboard all light up when turned to ignition?
Does the little yellow car/key symbol 'flash' or is it stationary when at ignition?

Hi Sarge,
The lights on dash come on dim, then when I attempt to start it no lights at all, or sometimes key icon stays on,car won't lock with key, radio neither but interior light does come on.
just went to test battery as it does feel like that but cannot open boot. its getting worse

Sounds like your Battery is flat, give it full charge and see what happens, let us know.

The key icon should stay lit on, and not flash which indicated that the immobiliser has recognised the key and is ok.

To put you out of your current misery, you could jump start it if you wanted too. This will also allow you to open the boot.

To manually open the boot, get in from rear seat, run your hand along the top of the boot trim, there is a little plastic piece with a hole in it, gently lift it up and pull it, but, get someone outside by the hatch to lift it up when you pulled it open. DO be gentle with this as its only a little piece plastic cord and can easily break off the other end at the lock.

If you look in the book or do a search there’s a secret way of opening the boot.. it’s defo your battery by the sounds of it I think it was coincidental that you plugged your scanner in at this time.. try the battery 1st..

I will get to the battery tomorrow through the back seats and test and charge it if needed.
Thanks for the advice, will be back tomorrow hopefully with good news.

A general word of caution, when attempting to connect to the cars electronics, i.e ECU/ECM or the CCCU, best to connect a charger to the battery to keep it going. It is possible to corrupt the data in these modules if there is a power failure midway!

Also consider earth lead behind left hand headlight. Bolt and washer over time corrodes resulting in poor starting.
For some reason mine looks like this. I clean it every two years... look at it :confused:
AC1EBB02-E8C2-4B3C-92DC-7E9C470AD49C.jpeg

1EF1C49A-8CF4-4778-A381-7D5B59CCF83D.jpeg

Last edited:
When you clean and fit it back next time, apply some grease liberally to protect it. I've never needed to go back to do it again after the first time.

Sounds like your Battery is flat, give it full charge and see what happens, let us know.

The key icon should stay lit on, and not flash which indicated that the immobiliser has recognised the key and is ok.

To put you out of your current misery, you could jump start it if you wanted too. This will also allow you to open the boot.

To manually open the boot, get in from rear seat, run your hand along the top of the boot trim, there is a little plastic piece with a hole in it, gently lift it up and pull it, but, get someone outside by the hatch to lift it up when you pulled it open. DO be gentle with this as its only a little piece plastic cord and can easily break off the other end at the lock.

Gently is the word Sarge. Been there! I gave it a yank and broke the bit in ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back