I've started so... (Tdi 90 front suspension and brakes)

Hello Ayetwoers. I have had my very fine 2004 A2 Tdi Sport 90PS ATL for a few years (bought from an A2OC member) and other than servicing and rear brakes nothing epic has been required. It has done about 105k miles. The last service report noted a need for an inner steering link and an outer rod end. A recent MOT advisory had discs, pads, ARB bush and a bearing in the ARB linkage. Some while ago Tony at A2 Cars (just before he so sadly passed away) warned me I have two shocks from the rusty batch of Koni FSDs (fitted with Koni -30 springs 30k miles ago by VAG Bath for previous owner). I am registered for VAT (to recover that cost) but not for long. In the light of all that I have decided to - ahem - INVEST in the car by buying all the parts for these areas - essentially a major update of the front suspension and braking. I am hoping that some parts may not be needed (e.g. to keep the Koni springs, bump stops and dust covers). Note the part numbers in my file (attached) derive primarily from Timmus' very helpful definitive list (suspension) and relate to a TDI 90 Sport. Also note that prices seem to be changing all the time and even while I have waited for delivery of some parts (making a tidy pile of boxes in the house) some prices have increased or decreased. The expenditure is excruciating but I am approaching the options and quality points thinking of the car as 'a keeper'. Here's hoping this doesn't lead on to DMF, turbo or oil chain/sprocket/guides. This club site has given me so much entertainment and knowledge I decided to type my shopping list with costs and sources in case it is of use to someone here. Atb to all.

Attachments

• Tdi 90 front brakes and suspension parts.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 318
Good luck with this. I'm about to do the same on mine (TDi 90). Mine has the optional Sports suspension pack which I'm now undoing. So as you have, I've got the new Koni dampers all round, strut tops, lower arms (forged), and just for completeness' sake, front wheel bearings. I did the drop links earlier in the year. I'm replacing the rubbers with non-Sport versions in my quest for a decent ride though, and hang the extra ride height. The new struts are all built up now, and the mucky difficult stuff starts on Saturday

I did the rear end last weekend, which was a doddle. No spring compressor needed for that as the jack-under-the-axle approach works fine. Shiny red dampers and some non-rigid rubbers.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 205
Merlin/Kleynie thank you! Hi Merlin I was aware you were on a similar path. I am uncertain whether the previous owner bought Koni springs (not clear in the record) or Weitec (flavour of the month at that date combined with FSDs) so unclear whether my 'sport' might become more comfortable in the 'off road' environment that the potholed roads seem to be in these parts. Hope so... I too have been thinking of the cast arms for piece of mind. Also thinking of buying a pair of steel arms to fully treat and paint. Mine are fine (I have seen those nightmare posts on here) but it would be crazy not to bring them up to scratch with all the rest going on.
Hi Kleynie I have gone for Meyle strut top bearings (Depronman advice and others) but the Meyle part number on the sale site is different to the part number on the delivery slip and box and I can't find a corresponding code to VAG. I have them in hand clearly Meyle clearly good hopefully equivalent to the tougher Polo spec as I intended. Advice to others: get up-to-date VAG part nos. Shop for equivalent but read the published OE references several times before purchase, check what is delivered against that several times. Also advertisers don't describe well. For eg. my top mounts included all the expensive 'once only' bolts (set screws) to fix to the car. I bought those separately and unnecessarily from VAG main dealer. I've started... will I ever finish? atb

Back