Massive oil leak...then mystically gone.....

Bollox

Last week I had a low level oil warning come on. I have had a few before and at the MOT they mentioned a slight leak (didn't say where from), so wasn't too worried this time.

Engine started chattering a bit more than usual, so stopped to look underneath....a steady stream of engine oil was pouring out from under the RH side of the engine undertray !

Poured in more oil, and it just kept running out! I gingerly drove the 1km home and parked the A2.

I have now removed the undertray, cleaned up all the oil, and topped up the engine oil level.
Most of the oil was around the oil separator, bottom of the the sump near a sensor (not sure which it is), and in the general area of the RH side of the engine bay, both underneath and up on the engine mount.
I have run the car standing still, both at idle and revving it. No leak.
I even drove it, first gently, stopping every 500m, and then hard for 2.3 Kms......absolutely no leak whatsoever.

Anyone any idea what it could be - I am mystified!

Car is a 2000 1,4 petrol

Last edited:
My updated guess is that the plug in the redundant rear dipstick tube was blown out, possibly due to gunk in the oil separator, and the oil came out there. I noticed some oil contamination on the ignition lead running to the closest cylinder, and that together with the rest of the oil spray would back that up. I have now plugged that pipe again, and will remove and clean or replace the separator ASAP.

Any comments if that could be the cause?

Back