Moving on

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Well, this weekend, I decided to end my 19 year affair with Audi. I have put a down payment on a new Volvo which is a number of firsts for me.

It's the first time I've ever bought a non-Audi car.
It's also the first time I've ever bought a car with finance.
It's also the first time I've ever bought a car that is brand new, as per my spec, fresh from the factory!

I've only ever so far owned Audis since I've bought cars - 2x Audi 80Sports, 1x Audi S2 coupe quattro, 1x Audi A4 3.0 v6 avant quattro, and then of course most famously, the A2!
Of all of those Audis, the A2 is the one I've kept the longest (8 years), driven the most miles in myself (80k miles) and modified the most! I think it's also been the best Audi I've owned. The 80 Sports were both fun but rough and old and flaky. The S2 was an absolute hoot and I drove it like I stole it most of the time and nearly cost me my license at least twice (and the fuel bills were horrendous - 18MPG!). The A4 avant was my solution to being a driving hooligan but also to having entered the world of parenthood. It was smooth but utterly bland. The A2 was the best of the lot - character, practicality, rarity value, quality engineering and forward thinking design. Plus incredible economy.

But times change, tastes change, situations change, we move on. I'm feeling like now is probably the only time in my life I could afford a new car, and probably now is the last time I'll get a car with an ICE engine. The future's electric, but for me, not practical just yet. I'm now commuting for over 3 hours a day and to be honest I'm longing for something a bit smoother and quieter both on the motorways and in stop-start. I'm also suffering from sciatica and have been finding the A2's seating position exacerbates that. I also felt like a change of Marque was needed - I've found myself at a growing unease about the VW Group with the dieselgate stuff, and also with the general direction Audi in particular is going with its design philosophy. Nothing in the VAG stable appealed at all, and to be honest, Audi is extremely expensive for what you get.

So what this means is that come late March/early April, I'll need to let my my much-loved A2 go to be cared for by someone else. I'm hoping someone from the forum will take pity on the poor thing and give it a good home. I will prepare a proper For Sale thread for my wee aluminium beastie in due course. My car's life has been written all over the pages of this forum (including just about every mod its had) so it is definitely well-known. It's not perfect, it's got some faults, had some scrapes and knocks but it's a very solid car. I shall miss it when it's gone.

The A2 is a magnificent piece of engineering. It's a great, idiosyncratic car with character and still punches above its weight in today's car world for economy and practicality. This A2 Forum is also the most magnificent resource. Friendly, not too big, active and above all, deep with knowledge - which is essential to keep a one-of-a-kind 2nd hand niche vehicle going long past when Audi lost interest in it.

I've very much enjoyed my 8 years of A2-hood and of being a member of this forum. I hope I've contributed to it more than I've taken. I hope I've made more friends than I've made enemies. And I hope the A2 Forum will continue from strength to strength in the years to come.

Thanks all.

Dan_b

A nice write up Dan and sorry to see you go. I remember when you joined, back then I was still a very active member and owner.

The very best of luck in your new Volvo and hope your 2 finds a loving home amongst the members.

Bittersweet one Dan. As a car lover I can't fault the desire for a new one. But as a stalwart of the club you'll be sorely missed.

you can stay even though you're defecting to Sweden!

Sarge had a Volvo as a courtesy car recently and was very impressed. I'm sure he'll be watching your reports on the new beastie with interest.

Hope you stick around

Murdo ( definite friend! ):cool:

Hi all
Alas I don't even have a guarantee of a parking space where I live let alone a driveway or a garage; the biggest reason why my new car isn't a BMW i3 is not being able to park up at home and charge every night !

For the record I'm getting a V40, D2 manual ( claimed 80mpg). But I'm tarting it up in RDesign spec in bright blue with panoramic sunroof, sport pack and the Harmon Kardon Dollby pro logic sound system. I drove a fierce deal, the Sales Manager said it was the biggest discount he had ever seen in his dealership lol!

I'm sure I will lurk here for some time, it's a great community of friendly and highly knowledgeable people. A very interesting bunch!

Never would I of thought this this come Dan the way you talk about the Audi and much modding you have done with Tony. I'm sure you will be missed as mentioned above. Thanks for your help in previous posts and was great meeting you in person too a while back.

All the best,Mo.

Ps. Great write up as always.

Ulp you're right I did order those too couldn't have a lower spec than the A2!

It'll have the 120ps D2 motor. Felt quick enough on the test drive.

Life is full of change. Enjoy the well-earned variety Sweden affords. I agree re: electric future. Until we/I can own a Tesla, let's enjoy the ICE cars.

Would love a Tesla. One day...

Yes, me too.

At least with an electric car is likely to get you OHM.
When people see them they say "Watt is that?"
Some electric cars are ugly though, I would almost say re"Volt"ing.
If the batteries keep going flat, does the dealer fix them "no charge"
If you plug them in the wrong way is that "misleading"?

Wire my going on like this.

I belong in a "Dry Cell" (padded)

Steve B

Last edited:
Off topic, but its a shame that Nikola Tesla was able to produce free clean energy for all and yet the right wing 1 percenters put a stop to it all for power and greed.

Off topic, but its a shame that Nikola Tesla was able to produce free clean energy for all and yet the right wing 1 percenters put a stop to it all for power and greed.

Yes, it's a shame. It's also a shame that they advertise el-cars as 'green cars' while their production is far from being green at all...

Maybe let's not let this thread drift into the politics of decarbonisation (which I strongly support by the way!)

I could point out a few things regarding green car production, but i wont as it is Dan's 'Moving On' thread.

Another time...

P.S
Pics of the Volvo when it arrives please Dan.

Maybe let's not let this thread drift into the politics of decarbonisation (which I strongly support by the way!)

Let's not drift into it (which I strongly don't support by the way!).

I sincerely respect anyone's choice and the reasons behind one!
Enjoy you new car!

Just a "tongue in cheek" comment.

Electric cars are not emmision free when being used (let alone when being manufactured)
The electricity generators in the power station pollute (coal / gas or nuclear waste)

It is just that with an electric car the pollution is elsewhere (which is good for congested roads, but still poluting).

As I say, tongue in cheek.

Steve B

Reactions: Tsu
Back