Multiple misfire 1.4 mpi

Sheila

A2OC Donor
IMG-20230531-WA0000.jpg

Can anyone help with the above faults?
Happened after queuing for 30 minutes. Lost power.
When going up hill into service station felt like on two cylinders.
Parked and revved it hard, then rested for 30 minutes.
Drove fine at 70mph/80mph but engine management light still on.
Tom did the diagnostis scan for me.
Help please?

Hi folks,

Sheila called at mine this morning, and I retrieved these fault codes.
Having never owned a petrol car, petrol engines remain the big hole in my A2 knowledge. So, if anybody can offer some insight into what’s happening here, I’ve no doubt Sheila would be appreciative.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh Barry!

My first thought would be coil packs depending on how old the current ones are?
I'd second that. Is yours the version with separate packs, or one pack for all?
Either way, there will be a date code on the component, which will tell you if they are original.
It sounds like it's getting very hot under the bonnet, when stationary, so check that the fan is working.
Mac.

Without any other clues, based on my experiences 3 years ago my starting point would be the coil. The fact it is so many cylinders in one go suggests this is an AUA? If it was the earth cable wouldn't the starting be really affected (behaving as if battery flat or low charge) - I'm not discounting the earth as ours needed that cleaning too, but the misfiring was definitely the coil in our case, and this ceased completely once a new Bosch coil was fitted (a no-name Amazon overnight one gave instant remedy to the misfires but stopped working for plug 1 less than a day later)

On ours the problem tended to exhibit itself more once the engine bay warmed up, particularly in the vicinity of the coil on the (UK) passenger-side end of the engine. Once unscrewed from the block the cracks in the casing and shrunken / dried potting compound on the back of the casing were obvious and it was clear that it was losing sparks directly to the engine block due to the compromised insulation.

Thanks folks. Coil packs were also my first thought. For all that I declare petrol engines to be the hole in my knowledge, I’m not without some understanding.
I seem to remember there was a coil pack issue on this car at the 2019 social in Scotland. At the fire station in Fort William, did we not diagnose the same issue? Can anyone remember?

I recall that the coil packs were replaced at that point, though maybe it was just the singular problematic one, meaning that the others are much older and therefore due replacement.

@Seb_Gurkyh, were you perhaps involved in this?

Diagnosing and fixing issues is always challenging when away from home, so I’m sure Sheila is grateful for everyone’s help and support.

Cheers,

Tom

I've had two coilpack failures and both times it was a FLASHING engine light, which when reset would come back when the misfire started to happen again.

I think Barry ended up at an Audi dealership in Scotland for repairs Tom. Perhaps there's some form of paperwork trail from there. 🤔
If my memory serves me well (which is increasingly NOT the case nowadsys), I think the issue in Scotland was an injector (seal?). I am pretty sure it was bigger than a coil pack

Oh Barry!

My first thought would be coil packs depending on how old the current ones are?
They're exactly 4 years old!
They were fitted at Highland Audi Inverness before the journey back to Sibsey after the Isle of Skye weekend.
Tom thinks that's a very short lifespan... 🤔

I think Barry ended up at an Audi dealership in Scotland for repairs Tom. Perhaps there's some form of paperwork trail from there. 🤔
Yes Dave. We all met up at the Inverness dealership (Highland Audi) on 28th May while Barry was being diagnosed. They fitted the 4 coil packs the next day if I remember correctly. I was very grateful then for everyone's support as I am today.
Tom was very helpful this morning and it was so good to see him. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday afternoon.
Barry has been a good boy on the journey back to Keswick 👍

Have you checked that the fan is working?
When you cleared the faults, have they come back since?
Mac
We've done quite a few miles on the M6 (70+) and slower roads and all is well at the moment. The temperature is running at 90° which is normal for Barry.

Thanks folks. Coil packs were also my first thought. For all that I declare petrol engines to be the hole in my knowledge, I’m not without some understanding.
I seem to remember there was a coil pack issue on this car at the 2019 social in Scotland. At the fire station in Fort William, did we not diagnose the same issue? Can anyone remember?

I recall that the coil packs were replaced at that point, though maybe it was just the singular problematic one, meaning that the others are much older and therefore due replacement.

@Seb_Gurkyh, were you perhaps involved in this?

Diagnosing and fixing issues is always challenging when away from home, so I’m sure Sheila is grateful for everyone’s help and support.

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks so much Tom.
Great to see you this morning.
Barry was very grateful for the attention.
He behaved for the rest of the day... Thanks again.
See you Friday afternoon.

They're exactly 4 years old!
They were fitted at Highland Audi Inverness before the journey back to Sibsey after the Isle of Skye weekend.
Tom thinks that's a very short lifespan... 🤔
Did Tom
We've done quite a few miles on the M6 (70+) and slower roads and all is well at the moment. The temperature is running at 90° which is normal for Barry.
The temperature gauge is weighted, and will display 90C, when the coolant is anywhere between 85 - 98, ish. So if the engine was running a bit warm, you may not know. It's at low speeds, and stop start, that the fan is needed, not just for the radiator, but also to move air under the bonnet.
Sounds like Tom fixed it, good to know what, coil packs?
Mac.

Thanks so much Tom.
Great to see you this morning.
Barry was very grateful for the attention.
He behaved for the rest of the day... Thanks again.
See you Friday afternoon.
Sounds like it could have been grumpiness because you went to Oz and left him 😁
He will be happy when he sees his friends on friday

Back