New A2 owner saying hi from North Yorkshire - need help/advice/parts

nyorker

I just want to say Hi to the other members. I have just been given a 110k 2004 Tdi Sport from a friend, I have given him lots of free help over the years with his business and the car was a "thank you" as he is being hit by Ulez expansion and needed to get rid of it.

He replaced his A2 Tdi with a petrol A2 :)

My first impressions are what fun it is to drive... my partner and I both love it. so its a keeper...

I have a few things I need to sort out though, including;

• the Left hand cup holder won't stay in.
  • Lock switch for rear electric windows won't latch so my little girl cant operate her rear window.
  • Near side rear light cluster is cracked and needs replacing
  • Need a spare key
  • Engine warning light on - I've plugged a cheap Bluetooth EL327 scanner in and read the code. P00118. I have therefore bought a new temp sensor and thermostat (both febi Bilstein). the temp reading on the dash never rises above 65C.
  • there is no record of a cambelt/water pump replacement, so need to get that done, can anyone recommend someone "up north" ?
  • Deep paint scratch

Perhaps the most annoying/worrying is that when it is under load, accelerating hard in 3 gear (especially up a hill) it judders and feels like a petrol engine misfiring.

What if any of the above can be fixed rather than replaced and does anyone have a clue about the juddering?

I am based in North Yorkshire but travel down A1/M1 fairly often to London.

I just want to say Hi to the other members. I have just been given a 110k 2004 Tdi Sport from a friend, I have given him lots of free help over the years with his business and the car was a "thank you" as he is being hit by Ulez expansion and needed to get rid of it.

He replaced his A2 Tdi with a petrol A2 :)

My first impressions are what fun it is to drive... my partner and I both love it. so its a keeper...

I have a few things I need to sort out though, including;

• the Left hand cup holder won't stay in.
  • Lock switch for rear electric windows won't latch so my little girl cant operate her rear window.
  • Near side rear light cluster is cracked and needs replacing
  • Need a spare key
  • Engine warning light on - I've plugged a cheap Bluetooth EL327 scanner in and read the code. P00118. I have therefore bought a new temp sensor and thermostat (both febi Bilstein). the temp reading on the dash never rises above 65C.
  • there is no record of a cambelt/water pump replacement, so need to get that done, can anyone recommend someone "up north" ?
  • Deep paint scratch

Perhaps the most annoying/worrying is that when it is under load, accelerating hard in 3 gear (especially up a hill) it judders and feels like a petrol engine misfiring.

What if any of the above can be fixed rather than replaced and does anyone have a clue about the juddering?

I am based in North Yorkshire but travel down A1/M1 fairly often to London.
I think the best bet it WOM in Stoke, I take my cars there from york and are amazing.

Motion seconded, but if you are in London there is B&F Autos in West Hounslow. Just near Heathrow and a short walk from the tube. Don't charge sillly money either. Warmly recommend getting the cambelt and water pump dealt with soonest.

Welcome.

Welcome to the club! The cup holder is a nuisance but @A2Steve, @Clackers or someone else on here will have a replacement. It’s only slightly fiddly. Rear light cluster is an easy swap. I find once you’ve fixed a couple of problems the others seem much less.
I’d second getting the cambelt and water pump done soonest! WOM are great and will do a detailed health check too
George

Reactions: Ami
Can sort you out with a light cluster no problem and as for the juddering I’d say it just needs a fuel filter chnage.

Welcome to the club! The cup holder is a nuisance but @A2Steve, @Clackers or someone else on here will have a replacement. It’s only slightly fiddly. Rear light cluster is an easy swap. I find once you’ve fixed a couple of problems the others seem much less.
I’d second getting the cambelt and water pump done soonest! WOM are great and will do a detailed health check too
George
… and of course @Ami

Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully there is going to be a meet up not far from Richmond on 10th September which could give you the opportunity to meet some A2 owners.

Welcome aboard. Always nice to hear someone say "It's a keeper" Now needs lots of loving care. There are a number of deep experts on this forum.

I had this occasionally for 5 years with my TDi after my travel patterns changed from long distance to town and local country roads. I mostly solved it by switching to premium diesel. It was still there sometimes. A few weeks ago I was on holiday in the Peaks and booked it into WOM. With a good thrash up the motorways in hot weather, by the time I got there the problem had gone! So maybe a bit of carbon build-up.

Still WOM were able to solve another problem that my local VW Audi independent had been unable to solve. They know their stuff and are a very pleasant 2 guys: Rob & Marcus. The day I went, there were over 11 A2s there.

Make sure the car service schedule is up to date and items that should have been replaced done so. Also have a full scan done on the car and post back the results. We have no idea what has been done on the car nor its service history. We also do not know what engine is fitted.

If I were to guess the juddering is tied to the engine light and would say it is the ASV either faulty or needs a software update.

Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully there is going to be a meet up not far from Richmond on 10th September which could give you the opportunity to meet some A2 owners.
Is it at Richmond Park like last year or is it james peak district event?

Reactions: Ami
Re judder 3rd gear up hill , May be your EGR valve needs a good clean, the under load issue could be impending limp mode , air leak , inter cooler on its way ??? , or a simple case of a New fuel filter , air filter , basic items that may have been overlooked. Any hissing noise under hard acceleration, power loss , could point to air leak from air intake seal , or as previously mentioned intercooler ? Possible suspect. Bulging soft pipes. To from turbo ? . Pipe coming loose ? , good look round and basic service a good start before the expensive bits. Decent code read also help to pin down the most likely suspects , and eliminate expensive sensors.!.

I've had that annoying miss fire under load, turned out to be a combination of injector harness and injector seals. But your engine light is on and you have much lower mileage than my car, I'd fix everything else before looking at the injection system.

Back