New member searching for S-Line...plus questions

Hello,

I'm new to the forum...a great find by-the-way! I live in the US but travel to Europe on business quite frequently and want a car to keep over there. I found a 110 HP S-line for sale in Austria and the broker was asking 12,900 euros, dropping the price to 11, 725. Is this price too high...is the turbo troublesome?? The car has 55,000 kms. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I'm based in the UK, so am not familiar with Austrian prices, sorry. Though will add that the newest A2 will still be 7 years old, so make sure you're satisfied that the agreed price reflects that.

The 1.6 FSI 110bhp petrol engine is normally aspirated.

That does sound like a low mileage example - but as with Will's post above, it really depends on the actual condition of the car, and of course its specification. I wonder if the German A2 forum might be a good place to investigate in terms of whether the pricing is reasonable?

If it is a 110PS model that's a petrol car which doesn't have a turbo - the FSi engine does have its own particular foibles though.

In which country would you be looking to keep the A2 when you're in Europe?

Welcome to the A2oc and hopefully soon to be A2 ownership.
I have been email contact with bluemouton. My appoligys I said about the turbo. Got my models mixed up. But I have corrected this with him now. I have also put him in the direction of the German A2club. So hopefully between us we will get him sorted.

Cheers

David

Welcome to the forum. Any chance of posting a link to the car your looking at so we could then se the spec of the car, as you posted S/line i would take that as a UK model would be a Sport

Phil

Hi Guys...thanks for the help and input! The German crowd was not quite as pleasant to my questions and lack of familiarity with the various model designations...big faux pas when I mentioned the turbo...zero tolerance for my "ignorance"!

I've attached the link for the car below...hope it works, if not I can copy and paste it. I did look at some German websites; mobil.de in particular had plenty of A2's. Found a few similar cars; only a few with mileage close to this one. So, have a look and let me know your thoughts...Thanks again for the welcome!.........Jeff
http://www.rsr.at/en/index.php

I'm not an FSi owner so not the best person to say really, but I have read they run much better if fed with EU-strength super unleaded (98+ octane) for starters...

When you open the link just comes up with Porsche. To add to Dan's post the FSi has problems with coil packs (one for each cylinder) but if remember right the new ones are a lot more reliable and there has been much discusion about the trottle body needing cleaning

Phil

Its ok found it which one was you looking at the Yellow Storm?

Last edited:
Looks a well looked after car. The thing that puzzles me is it looks like what would be a Sport in the UK (3 spoke steering wheel, gear knob, 17" wheels, DISS no front fog lights) but no sports seats :confused:. does look like its got some good stuff on it heated seats and rear parking sensors and also the climate hasn't got the normal soft touch wear

Phil

Yes Phil...the yellow Storm. My sense is it's priced a bit to high despite the broker going down to 11, 725 euros...thoughts?

Jeff

This is where we need ULP's knowledge - but I dont think there was a sport spec in europe - this level of kit was S-Line. I too am confused about the non- sport style seats; so this could be a basic colour.storm with an S line package?

34k miles is fantastic on an 8 year old car; but have you noticed the calendar on the clocks photograph is 12.08.2011? Has this car been on mothballs for a while or is there more?

Its expensive, but you see a lot of A2's on the continent for money that makes your jaw drop here. We often have european brethren commenting on how cheap our cars are! Quite funny when we roll our eyes at the odd A2 you still see for sale at prices above £8000.

Its all relative to the market and economy I suppose.

OP - Jeff; if you arent getting fruitful advice from the German forum, consider a Private Message to Bret ( Bretti Kivi) who is a stalwart member here and a moderator of both the A2OC and the German forum. I am sure Bret can recommend someone who knows the continental A2 market well and give you an accurate value on that car.

Last edited:
TDi pretty bulletproof if maintained properly. 2 variations of the 1.4 TDi 3 cylinder engine - a 75bhp and a 90bhp. They are nice and torquey through the gears and can be remapped to increase power between 20 and 30% ( there are cars out there with higher variance than that but this requires other modifications.

Fuel consumption varies between 45mpg around town ( for a 90bhp non remapped like mine) up to high 70's mpg on a long run at optimum speeds for a remapped 75bhp which is the more economical of the 2 variants. There is a lovely 'burble' noise of the 3 cylinder Tdi which some people dislike. The gear shift is pretty stiff and notchy too - but you get used to this. ( I dont know if a manual box will be an alien concept to you anyway?)

Problems - nothing to really speak of. Some 90's have problems with the turbo. You need to ensure the cambelt is changed after 6 years or 80k miles.

This is 3/4 of the tried and tested 1.9 TDI VAG group unit. Its been described as the 4 cylinder block with one chopped off ( sure its more complex than that though)! - so you have a unit which has a proven reliability record.

I am biased towards TDi as an owner of one; but they are great fun to drive. The A2 will never be described as a 'fast' car. but either the TDi or the FSi will bring a smile to your face if you give it some right foot!

Last edited:
Thanks guys...will make the contact recommended above and have a question on the TDi's...how do they perform? Gas mileage, performance, service issues?

The average MPG (uk mpg not us) is 55 according to fuelly. Obviously this varies considerably by your circumstances... short-distance/urban driving will give poorer mpg than long-distance/highway driving.

Performance is good, particularly when remapped. If you have never driven diesel before, you will find that it has loads of low-end power, but (if not remapped) the power tails off quickly when you get to the top of the rev range. Personally I much prefer the 'feel' of diesel to petrol.

In terms of long term reliability ... again in my personal view, in general diesel engines are far more reliable than petrol engines.

As with every car, there are of course weak points on the A2, such as the original ARB, the original OSS, cracking near the door hinges on some cars, the suspension is particularly harsh.

Back