New Owner in Norfolk

Mekon88

Hi Folks,

Just picked up a cute little Silver and Black 1.4 TDI 75 on a 53 Plate to be my daily runaround as the Caddy Maxi Life is extremely practical for many things especially work but I do not always need THAT much space and with fuel prices and the aerodynamics of a brick I ran the numbers and getting a little run around for the lighter loads actually makes sense plus living in the middle of nowhere a 2nd car is pretty sensible.

Shes got a touch over 200k on the clocks, and needs a little tidying in a few places (anyone know of a cheap place to get the buttons for filler flap/alarm? they work but actual bit you press has vacated the switch 😁)
I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised when I was viewing and test driving, just how much grunt she had with two adults on board, previous owner was a mature gentleman estimate mid 50's, had it for last 6 years and seems to have looked after it pretty well, hoping she will serve me well for a bit, I tend to drive with mechanical sympathy and change oil every 6 months or 5k whichever comes first as I do my own servicing, if any of you recognise the username from other forums of a vehicular nature or outdoor hobby then yes it is the same Chris lol

I will get some photos up once I have given her a quick wash and wax shortly.

Welcome to the club! 200k is a common milage now, they will.soldier on in style with some attention.

Fuel button and alarm button are regular items on the market place, place a wanted advert and they'll be with you within a fortnight no doubt. Altenrative pay £45 each new from audi tradition website.we do group orders a few times a year

At 200k Miles I'd be looking closely at thr pipes under the tandem pump, the wishbones and the turbo condition.

Look forward to photos.

Thanks for that tip about the pipes, I will check them now, I saw on the MOT history that some brake pipes have been repaired for corrosion (are these the pipes I am checking?)
I saw the ebay listings at £60 a pop for very worn looking ones and thought WTH! probably 3d Print something as a stop gap, I presume that despite looking almost the same, the mk4 golf filler flap button is not interchangeable? friend has/had one of those as spare parts in his driveway, I am sure a button could be extracted 😁
Turbo is still pulling well and no whistling so likely been changed at some point, I will give it a more thorough poking and start a wish list of bits to get like the buttons, a boot... floor? theres a cover over the battery etc but not one for the spare wheel I am presuming that there should be one so that its flush level with the folded seats?
not found a handbook anywhere yet (didn't get one with the caddy either) makes forums an essential

The weather was not on my side for getting her cleaned today but I got a couple of snaps
20230723_130545_copy_1024x610.jpg
20230723_130600_copy_1024x768.jpg

Thanks for that tip about the pipes, I will check them now, I saw on the MOT history that some brake pipes have been repaired for corrosion (are these the pipes I am checking?)
I saw the ebay listings at £60 a pop for very worn looking ones and thought WTH! probably 3d Print something as a stop gap, I presume that despite looking almost the same, the mk4 golf filler flap button is not interchangeable? friend has/had one of those as spare parts in his driveway, I am sure a button could be extracted 😁
Turbo is still pulling well and no whistling so likely been changed at some point, I will give it a more thorough poking and start a wish list of bits to get like the buttons, a boot... floor? theres a cover over the battery etc but not one for the spare wheel I am presuming that there should be one so that its flush level with the folded seats?
not found a handbook anywhere yet (didn't get one with the caddy either) makes forums an essential
I meant the coolant pipes that all kinds of come together under the tandem pump, there's a twin run to the oil cooler. One from the head goes to the header tank, thanks usually gone soft and soggy!

Found the fuel flap button face which was missing, rather butchered in the door pocket, after polishing the surface on every side to remove the blemishes from said butchering, and the same on the button housing I discovered it still stuck very badly, so I cleaned up the runners and channels and then realised that the return spring that sits under the white actuator was missing, so after a few minutes poking around the workshop I found something vaguely the correct diameter and chopped it to size, and hey presto I now have a working button with a face.... that jumps off at the slightest inclination.... but some some tape solved that, as a short term solution, and a black sharpie under the tape identifies the purpose of the now white button, it aint stupid if it works! and work it does :cool:

Hi Folks,

Just picked up a cute little Silver and Black 1.4 TDI 75 on a 53 Plate to be my daily runaround as the Caddy Maxi Life is extremely practical for many things especially work but I do not always need THAT much space and with fuel prices and the aerodynamics of a brick I ran the numbers and getting a little run around for the lighter loads actually makes sense plus living in the middle of nowhere a 2nd car is pretty sensible.

Shes got a touch over 200k on the clocks, and needs a little tidying in a few places (anyone know of a cheap place to get the buttons for filler flap/alarm? they work but actual bit you press has vacated the switch 😁)
I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised when I was viewing and test driving, just how much grunt she had with two adults on board, previous owner was a mature gentleman estimate mid 50's, had it for last 6 years and seems to have looked after it pretty well, hoping she will serve me well for a bit, I tend to drive with mechanical sympathy and change oil every 6 months or 5k whichever comes first as I do my own servicing, if any of you recognise the username from other forums of a vehicular nature or outdoor hobby then yes it is the same Chris lol

I will get some photos up once I have given her a quick wash and wax shortly.
Welcome. We are in Norfolk too. I'm in Norwich and BF is near Aylsham. Ive got a vcds if you ever need a scan. The car looks lovely 😍

Hi and welcome. You didn't say you have the coveted open sky! Does it work? These require regular use and lubrication otherwise they seize and then when you try to open them, the motor turns and strip the teeth off the gears :( We do have an expert on here that does repairs or complete replacement @Kleynie

Your User Name, and use of the word "snaps" leads me to believe you're of the generation who read The Eagle, and had a Kodak Brownie
Mac.
Im afraid my username and vocabulary are misleading you good sir (I suspect) I did not own a Kodak Brownie and I do not even know what the "the eagle" is to be reading it🤣
the username is from a nickname I picked up in my highschool years from some friends who were a generation older than myself, and whose parents are of a similar age to mine which probably also explains the vocabulary 😎

Hi and welcome. You didn't say you have the coveted open sky! Does it work? These require regular use and lubrication otherwise they seize and then when you try to open them, the motor turns and strip the teeth off the gears :( We do have an expert on here that does repairs or complete replacement @Kleynie

When viewing the car, the seller said open it only 3/4 or it will go skewiffy when closing (guessing needs lubrication or a regulator is worn if they have them)
is there any way to look up the spec of my exact vehicle at all? I got no handbook or anything so completely blind here, might be missing on other toys!

oh and I have 2 FULLY WORKING cup holders in the dash 🤯 that doubles the value doesnt it?

When viewing the car, the seller said open it only 3/4 or it will go skewiffy when closing (guessing needs lubrication or a regulator is worn if they have them)
is there any way to look up the spec of my exact vehicle at all? I got no handbook or anything so completely blind here, might be missing on other toys!
In the boot on the left there should be a sticker with lots of codes on it including your VIN number. Here's mine (actually its the sticker in my service book but the one in the boot is the same but without the dealer stamp area)

A2 VA04 FGF Specification blanked.jpg

The LY7R/LY7R and N0G/YL are the paint and interior trim colours. There is a posting somewhere on this site that decodes them.

Note the short 3 letter codes. Go to http://prsearch.planetvag.com/ and enter all the 3 letter codes - tedious job and all the Os are zeros.

You will then get a list of all the features on the vehicle. Copy the text and save to a text file so you don't have to key them again.

When accessing audi.7zap.com for parts you will see for some parts info in the model column (circled below) where the part varies according to the model and year.

7Zap.jpg

In the example see the G22, that matches the G22 in my specification G22 being Front shock absorption. Note the dates: 7Zap corrupts the dates. 2005.02 - 2008.05 should be (I believe from memory) 2002.05 to 2005.08 i.e. May 2002 to August 2005

In the boot on the left there should be a sticker with lots of codes on it including your VIN number. Here's mine (actually its the sticker in my service book but the one in the boot is the same but without the dealer stamp area)

View attachment 111018

The LY7R/LY7R and N0G/YL are the paint and interior trim colours. There is a posting somewhere on this site that decodes them.

Note the short 3 letter codes. Go to http://prsearch.planetvag.com/ and enter all the 3 letter codes - tedious job and all the Os are zeros.

You will then get a list of all the features on the vehicle. Copy the text and save to a text file so you don't have to key them again.

When accessing audi.7zap.com for parts you will see for some parts info in the model column (circled below) where the part varies according to the model and year.

View attachment 111019

In the example see the G22, that matches the G22 in my specification G22 being Front shock absorption. Note the dates: 7Zap corrupts the dates. 2005.02 - 2008.05 should be (I believe from memory) 2002.05 to 2005.08 i.e. May 2002 to August 2005
Sadly I am sans sticker ☹️ I do have a surprisingly comprehensive tool kit back there tho

Sadly I am sans sticker ☹️ I do have a surprisingly comprehensive tool kit back there tho
Are you sure? Normally here but has been known to elsewhere (footwells???).

1690327947404.png

Or alternatively just pop in or ring you local Audi branch and explain your car came with no documentation. Be forearmed with reg/VIN and maybe V5 and they will normally email it or print it off.

Andy

Are you sure? Normally here but has been known to elsewhere (footwells???).

View attachment 111025

Or alternatively just pop in or ring you local Audi branch and explain your car came with no documentation. Be forearmed with reg/VIN and maybe V5 and they will normally email it or print it off.

Andy
20230726_074559_copy_1024x1365.jpg
no sticker nor residue so long gone it seems, have to speak to someone in the trade it looks like

strange. Why would someone want to remove it; or maybe it was forgotten on the assembly line. Did you check the other faces of that compartment:

sticker location.jpg

I believe you will need a Audi/VW dealer or an independent that has access to Audi/VW database.

Back