Preferred steering wheel, 3 or 4 spoke ?

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Just interested to know what is your preferred A2 steering wheel design, 3 or 4 spoke? I do like the design of the 3 spoke with the inner sculptured styling but feel the 4 spoke feels more Audi-like? Not sure quite what I mean there but probably because I've seen more Audi's with the 4 spoke s/wheels. I'm looking to get mine recovered with perforated leather on the sides with solid leather top and bottom but I'm being drawn to a 3 spoke wheel? Decisions !:rolleyes::)

Last edited:
Just interested to know what is your preferred A2 steering wheel design, 3 or 4 spoke? I do like the design of the 3 spoke with the inner scultured styling but feel the 4 spoke feels more Audi-like? Not sure quite what I mean there but probably because I've seen more Audi's with the 4 spoke s/wheels. I'm looking to get mine recovered with perforated leather on the sides with solid leather top and bottom but I'm being drawn to a 3 spoke wheel? Decisions !:rolleyes::)

I have both on our cars I much prefer the 3 spoke as it’s easier to turn faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both and much prefer the 3 spoke in use. It feels far better in the hand due to the extra girth (oh-er!)

However, for the reasons @TYP 8Z mentioned, and despite timmus creating a 3 spoke MFSW I really like the standard look and will be having my 4 spoke re-trimmed to match the thickness of the 3 spoke sports steering wheel one day :)

Last edited:
Having had an se with the 4 spoke steering wheel and now own a sport with 3 spoke i think both wheels are perfectly matched to each car.

I have both and much prefer the 3 spoke in use. It feels far better in the hand due to the extra girth (oh-er!):DHadn't thought of that!

However, for the reasons @TYP 8Z mentioned, and despite timmus creating a 3 spoke MFSW I really like the standard look and will be having my 4 spoke re-trimmed to match the thickness of the 3 spoke sports steering wheel one day :)

I'm trying to decide so I can get the preferred one recovered. Maybe just get a 3 spoke and give it a try and decide then which to post off for recovering! Just need to find a 3 spoke for sale now:D

In my opinion, the 3 spoke steering wheel is the only A3 steering wheel that isn't ugly. Sorry to say, but Audis 4 spoke steering wheels from that time period is one of the ugliest in the car history.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide so I can get the preferred one recovered. Maybe just get a 3 spoke and give it a try and decide then which to post off for recovering! Just need to find a 3 spoke for sale now:D

For info and as I discussed with A2Steve last week - the TT 3 spoke steering wheel is an exact match and very cheap to pickup from ebay. The only difference is the design of the airbag cover - which I have to admit I like.

I'm having a TT steering wheel recovered as I type and should get it back next week....perforated left and right side, smooth top and bottom with red stitching. A little thicker than OEM also :)

For info and as I discussed with A2Steve last week - the TT 3 spoke steering wheel is an exact match and very cheap to pickup from ebay. The only difference is the design of the airbag cover - which I have to admit I like.

I'm having a TT steering wheel recovered as I type and should get it back next week....perforated left and right side, smooth top and bottom with red stitching. A little thicker than OEM also :)

How much is it and what's the name of the company? Would love to see some pictures when you get it back. :)

How much is it and what's the name of the company? Would love to see some pictures when you get it back. :)

Got recommendation from another member on here - royal steering wheels in aylesbury. It terms of cost it depends on what you ask for - but it is into 3 figures.

Will pop up some pics next week at some point

Last edited:
I’ve used Royal Steering Wheels in Aylesbury very good quality work and fast turnaround. They can provide exchange wheels too so you’re not stuck - difficult to drive using a pair of mole grips :) ... One thing I will mention is I don’t THINK they use Alcantara, it’s similar and possibly harder wearing but not quiet the same.

I’ve used Royal Steering Wheels in Aylesbury very good quality work and fast turnaround. They can provide exchange wheels too so you’re not stuck - difficult to drive using a pair of mole grips :) ... One thing I will mention is I don’t THINK they use Alcantara, it’s similar and possibly harder wearing but not quiet the same.

To get the steering wheel refurbished gives really good value for money and lasting satisfaction.

My steering wheel:
A2 Sport steering wheel.JPG

To get the steering wheel refurbished gives really good value for money and lasting satisfaction.

My steering wheel:View attachment 42052
Double wow!!, I brought a 3 spoke on ebay only this morning and this is exactly what I'm after with red stitching too. I changed my gear stick gaiter last year with red stitching with the view of doing the steering wheel the same!

Back