Rear Axle refurb - what paint finish?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
As part of my rear axle restoration https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/a2-rear-axle-restoration-–-my-journey.52640/ I need to get quotes for shot blasting. I'm looking for view on what paint finish to go for. Many years ago I had a historic sign shot blasted and I recall being advised that it should be treated immediately with a primer / undercoat before it oxidised.

Questions are:

1. After shot blasting is any treatment recommended to degrease?
2. what primer / undercoat? I've read of one guy using zinc metal (whatever that is) sprayed on - said it left a nice rough surface for the top coat.
3. what top coat and to be sprayed or brushed on?

I've heard of powered coating (what paint is that and is it sprayed? I read it's brittle), POR15 (read must top coated very quick before hardening. Also needs to be over-coated for UV protection. Very expensive), hammerite smooth (read mixed opinion - chips easily), rustoleum, 2k Chassis Black.

I be interest in what people have used and how it stood up to weather.

When I’m restoring motorbike frames I use the following:

Acid dip
Shot or vapour blast
Acid dip & rinse
Etch primer
Powder coat

I'll just add I doubt that rear axle would benefit from UV protective coating unless you leave the car flipped upside down for long periods of time. :)

Having gone to the expensive, of soda blasting, shot blasting, I would go for powder coating.
Far better finish , yes it can chip , but some protective plastic coatings can now be applied also, cost ???.
Powder coating also not cheap , but will completely seal unit. Internally some dinitrol, or wax oil . To stop rust coming from inside out.

Alan you’re not too far from Vale Powdercoating in Faringdon. They’ll sort it and for probably considerably less than £100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The blaster I use primes components immediately after blasting, I assume he de-greases if the blast medium has picked up grease. He uses an industrial single pack rust inhibiting primer. It is good just as primer but I top coat with Smoothrite.
That is a long way of saying, seek advice from your blaster.
Edit, once on the car I sprayed it with Dynax UC, it appears to be standing up to the weather well.

If you are going to the trouble of shot blasting I'd say paint over powder coat every time.
Shot blasting gives the correct surface profile allowing the coating to adhere (SA 2.5).
For corrosion preventation ensuring all salts are washed from the surface before painting.
If you buy industrial paint from a reputable brand like International or PPG you can't go too wrong. Temperature and humidity when applying the product is also key to longevity.
Correctly applied coatings can provide 25 year protection. Powder coating is likely to chip and retain moisture between the coating and the steel promoting corrosion.

As part of my rear axle restoration https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/a2-rear-axle-restoration-–-my-journey.52640/ I need to get quotes for shot blasting. I'm looking for view on what paint finish to go for. Many years ago I had a historic sign shot blasted and I recall being advised that it should be treated immediately with a primer / undercoat before it oxidised.

Questions are:

1. After shot blasting is any treatment recommended to degrease?
2. what primer / undercoat? I've read of one guy using zinc metal (whatever that is) sprayed on - said it left a nice rough surface for the top coat.
3. what top coat and to be sprayed or brushed on?

I've heard of powered coating (what paint is that and is it sprayed? I read it's brittle), POR15 (read must top coated very quick before hardening. Also needs to be over-coated for UV protection. Very expensive), hammerite smooth (read mixed opinion - chips easily), rustoleum, 2k Chassis Black.

I be interest in what people have used and how it stood up to weather.
I was thinking of truck bed linner over the top as a very heavy duty anti chip!

I've just spoke to Booth & Son https://www.boothandson.com/blasting/ near Swindon re blasting and painting; They propose:

shot blasting axle, bracketsx2, large washersx2 and backplatesx2
blow off dust
2 pack primer - leave 1/2 day
2 pack top coat (matt, satin or gloss) - leave overnight

They use Joton Paints. Booth's didn't say which particular paint. I looked at the Joton website and saw these anti-corrosive maintenance primers.

Most of their top coats are polyurethane based.

Booth's didn't recommend power coating.

Various component costs were given but I think it will be around £250.

Anyone experience of the Joton paints or Booth?

No, but that’s a very good treatment that should last for ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joton are excellent!! It’s that big tin under the smaller tins I showed you in the garage, I would’ve offered it to you but it’s an orange/ red colour to go under the stiletto when I did it. Sounds like they know their stuff😀

What is the easiest way to get the Rear Axle de rusted and re coated in situ ? Find someone who can Media Blast it then Paint it myself ?

I only noticed it needed doing when fitting new Rear Springs on Friday.

Steve U

Hi Steve - I just sprayed mine in situ with ACF 50, that’ll stop any further corrosion.

Sorry - that wasn’t very helpful!

If you have access to a compressor and spray gun that’s by far the best application method - it just mists on.

Back