Rear passenger door jammed and will not open

Karl32

Hi All,
I am new to the forum, and was wondering if any one had the same issue please? I have tried to open the rear passenger door to fix my son's car seat, but will not open. The remote central locking system works fine, and clicking ok.

no issues with other doors so far.

thanks

Can you open the door from inside? One pull of the handle should unlock the door and the next should open it, unless the deadlock is engaged.

Tom

Hi Tom, the child lock is on so that might not be an option, i have tried that.

many thanks for the prompt reply tho.

In which case, the rear door locks are controlled directly by the central convenience control unit (CCCU), meaning the fault either lies with the lock itself or the CCCU. Before proceeding any further, I suggest you disconnect the battery and allow the car to stand for a couple of hours. When you reconnect the battery, you may find that things work as normal.
Be aware that, when reconnecting the battery, your stereo head unit may want its 4-digit code. You can find this on the inside cover of the stereo's manual.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

assuming the battery is in the boot some where, will have a go. do i have to keep the boot open while the battery is disconnected please?

Yeah, you'll find the battery in the boot, under the flap in the floor. You only need to disconnect the negative terminal, which will be on the right as you look at the battery.
Stopping the boot from closing will make your life easier, but if it does close with the battery disconnected, it's not too big a deal.

Tom

Hi Tom, I know you have said to disconnect for 2 hours, but with the weather outside, i have managed 30mins. I have reconnected it and everything is the same except the door which still won't open. on a side note I have managed to lock the boot, but opened it with the manual release, which I wish we had one for the other doors. I have also noticed that the rear door handle does not pull as much as the other ones...might not be related.

Thanks for the idea was worth trying.

Karl

mean to say Tim not Tom..apologies

No, you did mean Tom. This is a regular source of confusion.
My given name is Thomas, but nobody ever calls me that. When my sister and I were very little, her attempt at saying 'Thomas' came out as Timmus. Hence my username.

To be totally honest, I'm not sure what to suggest from here. I've never looked at the child-lock feature as I am free of offspring (thank goodness!). User DJ 190 had a similar problem with one of his rear doors, but I cannot for the life of me remember how the problem was solved, or whether it solved itself.
It could be that there's a dodgy electrical connection at the B-pillar, meaning that one rear lock is not receiving the 'unlock!' command from the CCCU.

The fact that the rear handle doesn't go as far could be related, though that could be a manifestation of having the child-lock engaged. Again, I'm not sure.
If I could get my hands on the car, I'm confident that I could solve this for you, but I am well over 200 miles from Enfield.

Does anyone else have an ideas....?

Tom

Haha, glad to know you are actually Tom, as I did not want to be rude.....I had a chat with ones of the local mechanics and he wanted £180 to change the lock. thanks for the offer, i know 200 miles is a lot. I will see what happens. the car is due for its MOT next week so will need fixing soon.

Karl

Hi Karl,

If memory serves, the locks are about £60 from Audi. This is a job I've done many times before, so I reckon I could change it in about half an hour, all being well. Gaining access when the door can't be opened is a bit of a pain, though. The lock can't be accessed without removing the window frame, and the window frame can't be removed without opening the door!
My bet is that there's a dodgy electrical connection at the B-pillar, but that's just speculation.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom, have you ever changed the ABS loom, my nearside front wheel loom socket has been broken by the mechanic when changing the brake pads...shattered in to pieces, and as result the breaks signs are on all the time.
would you suggest I change the entire loom or just find a second hand one from a breaker and splice it please?

Thanks

Karl

A whole new loom isn't particularly expensive from Audi. Personally, I'd cut the old one out and splice a in new one. Although you may find one in a breaker's yard, the arch looms are a common fault on the A2 and the youngest one you could hope to find will be 8 years old. For the effort, I'd definitely buy new.

Cheers,

Tom

Back