Remote central locking stopped working suddenly (resolved)

ukrainian

So, one evening a few weeks ago I locked the car using the remote key fob and everything was fine but when I returned about an hour later pressing the buttons on the remote did nothing (no sounds, no lights). I could lock/unlock the driver's door manually by turning the key in the lock. The other three doors and tailgate could then be unlocked by turning ignition on. First thing I tried was to replace the key fob battery but this did not help. I then tried the spare key but this had also stopped working. I then tried the various ways of re-syncing the keys as posted by members here and elsewhere (combinations of turning ignition on and pressing buttons on the key fob) but this also did not help. In desparation, I read my owner's manual :p which says "press one of the buttons on the remote control key, then insert the key in the door lock and either lock or unlock the vehicle once, re-synchronisation process should not take more than 1 minute" (date of publication 15.02.2002). This also failed. I then decided to try the advice from here:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/remote-key-fobs-stopped-working.241061/
I disconnected the CCU completely and left it like that overnight to contemplate its failings. The following day, after reconnecting everything, both remote control keys now work again (after re-synching). The re-syncing procedure described in the owner's manual did not seem to be the correct one, though I may have misundestood it's not terribly clear. However turning on and off ignition and pressing a button on the remote, as others have suggested on here, seemed to be what did it as the desired result was immediate then. A happy ending!

I normally turn the ignition on and then hold unlock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on another somewhat similar note... I've noticed I have to be closer and closer to unlock my A2 via key fob... I'm guessing this is because the battery is getting older and weaker etc etc?

can I put a new battery in it without having to re-connect sync it or whatever it is called? what battery does it take?

the key fob is pretty battered so could I use this opportunity to get a reasonably priced new key fob or are they crazy expensive?

on another somewhat similar note... I've noticed I have to be closer and closer to unlock my A2 via key fob... I'm guessing this is because the battery is getting older and weaker etc etc?

can I put a new battery in it without having to re-connect sync it or whatever it is called? what battery does it take?

the key fob is pretty battered so could I use this opportunity to get a reasonably priced new key fob or are they crazy expensive?

Hi there OldSchool,
Mines a 2002 1.4 SE Petrol ... I've changed the batteries on both key fobs over the years and didn't need to re-synch or do anything different. From memory they are just a standard CR2032.

Back